Generator Noise in Montecito?

By an edhat reader

In the Montecito area I keep hearing a pulsing generator sound.

Is anyone else hearing it? It comes in waves. This was around 11:30 pm

a-1661244741 Aug 23, 2022 01:52 AM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

Are you the original poster answering MtnDriver? I can't tell.

I've heard, in the past year, backup truck beeps and other construction sound between 3-5 a.m. regularly. I can't swear that's what it is. And never walked or drove in search of it to prove it. Doing so or canvassing neighbors is my responsibility .

You could use NextDoor to get local input. I didn't care enough to sign up on that site.

Notthatbad Aug 23, 2022 10:21 AM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

Not OP. Just guessing OP heard the same jackhammer I was listening to.

You are correct about the noises you’ve heard — frequent overnight construction throughout town.

Babycakes Aug 22, 2022 09:39 AM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

Yes, we heard it as well when we were visiting our friend's house. They say they hear it all the time, and that Montecito has much more noise since the mudslides. I'm assuming that the reason for this is all of the building that is going on out there. It would be difficult to determine the exact location of the noise unless you were nearly on top of it. We were walking in the Upper East portion of SB (near Mission & Santa Barbara) and thought someone in the neighborhood was having a big party....you could here a "DJ" announcer and loud music....turns out the sound was coming all the way from the SB Bowl (the night that 'Trombone Shorty' played). Imagine the number of generators that will be fired up when we have the next power outage or earthquake....thousands and thousands of generators going at the same time!!!

pstarSR Aug 22, 2022 03:22 PM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

generators are not needed for building, the utilities are the FIRST thing usually repaired and all power is directed off the main panel.

pstarSR Aug 22, 2022 10:49 AM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

pulsing generator sound? if I am grasping it right sounds like an RV generator as they can rev and fall.

guessing somones camping

JoggerJoe Aug 22, 2022 11:50 AM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

We heard 3 loud strange noises over by La Cumbre and Hwy 154 area early morning like 4 or 5 a.m. Anyone else hear it? Know what it was?

154DailyDriver Aug 22, 2022 07:16 PM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

Most Montecito properties have stand by generators, power outages are fairly common and we can't be bothered with power interruptions.

a-1661244521 Aug 23, 2022 01:48 AM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

Sensitivity to this type of noise is highly individual. I've been sensitive to background environmental noise all my life. In my 60's, my reasonable, controlled tinnitus is playing tricks on me. But I hear background environment noises that family and friends do not hear.

Meditation, background radio of voice or music; whatever soothes or distracts you, and white noise or nice environmental sounds like rain or waves are all highly recommended. Worst of all is worrying about it or listening for or to it!

a-1661245020 Aug 23, 2022 01:57 AM
Generator Noise in Montecito?

The rumble of regular, commercial east to west jets in northside/Foothill area is observed by me 3-5 nights a week -- a flight around 1 a.m and/or around 3 a.m. Very few seem to notice this noise/sound.