Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

By an edhat reader

COX cable/internet is down. Throughout SB & Goleta. Estimated repair time is 3:30pm .. let's hope so. It is a real bummer to have a local monopoly with only one high speed provider!

ZeroHawk Dec 01, 2020 01:15 PM
Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

This is always a problem and will never go away. Cox found their loophole decades ago as we all know. The existing cables only work with their equipment. The lines would have to be removed and new lines placed for anyone else to come in. That would require a lot of money. FYI, the net was only down in the funk zone for maybe 30 minutes. Back up now.

notme Dec 01, 2020 01:19 PM
Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

Our wifi and cable have been very slow lately. We weren't sure if it was our equipment or Cox. Internet must be working in the western part of Goleta, since I'm here. I'm supposed to be on a Zoom call in 45 minutes with people in SB and other parts of Goleta. We'll see if that happens.

justabrain Dec 01, 2020 04:23 PM
Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

Internet has been slow and stalls often for a few months. Cox collects more money over the pandemic but don't expect them to spend more on equipment. They have been sucking the juice out of the community with 3rd world technologies for years. Rates keep going up, but they just pore more water into the pot as usage goes up.

SB_93117 Dec 02, 2020 12:31 PM
Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

JUSTABRAIN you are SO right! I HATE Cox Cable! They are such frauds! I'm so glad I'm leaving CA. I can't stand it anymore. The irrational regulations, overarching political nuts that want to regulate you to death and yet not follow their own rules... Cox is just another cog in this insane system. They DO continue to raise their rates with crappy equipment, horrible service (is there another word for service because what they are dishing out is NOT service), and incompetent representatives. UGH I can't wait until the house closes escrow!

notme Dec 01, 2020 08:10 PM
Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

Our Internet actually did go out later, after the estimated fix time, so we called Cox, and they rebooted the whole thing for us, which also seems to have helped with the slowness problem. For once, I have something nice to say about Cox!

gizmo1 Dec 01, 2020 09:18 PM
Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

Latest info I heard is that Cox will be crediting our bills(yeah right) for the downtime when their internet service was broken that we all paid too much for(Thanks to the City Of Santa Barbara utility oversee division))

notme Dec 02, 2020 01:05 PM
Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

I'll believe that when I see it on my bill. When my husband was on the phone with Cox trying to get the Internet back up, the rep did try to talk him into their latest "promotion." He just kept saying "no." I have to say that last night we were able to stream a show we'd been trying to watch for several days, but gave up on because of all the "reloading." At least the system works now.

rscheeff Dec 02, 2020 07:49 AM
Cox Internet Down in SB and Goleta

The answer to Cox is the 5G wireless system that has been installed in Santa Barbara, but is not being allowed by the city Council.

Cox needs to have Competition in the Santa Barbara area.

Our Cox service has also been down for several weeks.
An app for monitoring Internet connections is: “ down detector“ it shows that Cox is down across the country.
The app allows you to comment that your service is down.