By an edhat reader

Does anyone know if Santa Barbara has a nasty stomach flu going around? My mom ended up with it on Sunday, I have it now and I just heard that a number of other people have something similar. Is is there an outbreak or something? I haven't heard about the stomach flu causing any problems until now. - Everyone's heard about the record cases of influenza.

pstarSR Feb 02, 2018 08:48 AM
Who Got the Flu?

who didnt? my family, 2 kids ( 6 and 1.5yrs old ) and my wife got it. somehow I skipped it.

it was not fun

TWOSCOOPS Feb 02, 2018 08:49 AM
Who Got the Flu?

I got a light case of flu...or a heavy case of bad bad cold with extras.

horsegirl Feb 02, 2018 09:06 AM
Who Got the Flu?

I got a HORRIFIC stomach bug two weeks ago, no other symptoms besides excruciating pain, inability to keep food down and other digestive issues. lasted around 3 days then just like that it was gone.

truiz992 Feb 02, 2018 10:38 AM
Who Got the Flu?

3 weeks ago, Head cold, Shivers that lasted for a week. 2 nights ago Crazy stomach pains followed by vomiting. That only lasted 2 days. I haven't thrown up in 15 years.

bs61 Feb 02, 2018 11:28 AM
Who Got the Flu?

my mom got it pretty bad. I was recovering in ICU at Cottage and when it was time to transfer to the there was not one open bed available in that huge hospital due to the flu. That was about a month ago.

a-1517603778 Feb 02, 2018 12:36 PM
Who Got the Flu?

There are several things going around right now. The flu, strep, and the dreaded norovirus. Norovirus is one of the big stomach baddies. Activated charcoal is really effective for that, if you can keep it down between bouts of vomiting.

a-1517611684 Feb 02, 2018 02:48 PM
Who Got the Flu?

Fifty years of eating healthy.
Fifty years of never having a flu shot.
Forty years of exercise.
Never a case of the flu.

tagdes Feb 02, 2018 07:22 PM
Who Got the Flu?

So you are 80 years old. Otherwise you've just been lucky and certainly nothing to brag about.

LocalinSB Feb 02, 2018 07:56 PM
Who Got the Flu?

I have heard that it's been going around and a lot of people had it. Take Imodium, Pepto Bismol and keep hydrated with electrolytes. (Not a doctor.) I treated it early and it was over in 24 hrs. Some have it for many days. Remember that you can be contagious for up to 2 weeks! - No wonder it's sticking around!

Luvaduck Feb 03, 2018 07:37 AM
Who Got the Flu?

It would help if parents taught their kids to cover their mouths and didn't let them perpetually handle things in stores, but perhaps they don't know that themselves. (And I'm not talking about toddlers.)

rubyfoo Feb 03, 2018 07:37 AM
Who Got the Flu?

Don't be so sure about the luck thing TAGDES. There's a recent report that claims repeated flu vaccinations may be detrimental: https://www.statnews.com/2015/11/11/flu-shots-reduce-effectiveness/

jqb Feb 03, 2018 10:34 AM
Who Got the Flu?

Maybe you should learn to read, RubyFoo:

'Findings that suggest the science is more complicated than initially believed could lead people to assume annual flu shots are detrimental to their health.

That’s not the message researchers such as Belongia want to convey. “In every scenario, it is better for people to be vaccinated than not vaccinated,” '

Flicka Feb 03, 2018 08:45 AM
Who Got the Flu?

Hand washing is the best defense, especially after being out in public when you should not touch your face. Hand washing means scrubbing at least long enough to sing "Happy Birthday".

judee hauer Feb 03, 2018 01:21 PM
Who Got the Flu?

The drought is the biggest problem as we can't clean up our air ...but who can we blame? Life goes on - the air in Ventura is so clean looking but we have a fine black dust that spreads as the winds try to sweep though. Not sure but the shower helps -tho that water? WATER...