By an edhat reader

The businesses downtown and around town think they need valet parking. Transportation is building and supported for an ordinance to push through City Council. Permits can't be opposed. Parking will be removed from the street.

It's possible there will be an unlimited number of permits issued and valets will get to park vehicles in our neighborhoods and turn business-required parking to paid valet parking. What do residents think?

Nature Boy Apr 04, 2019 08:34 PM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

Yeah, weird poster or troll or joke — no facts in post, just false doublespeak.

biguglystick Apr 03, 2019 06:20 PM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

No, No, and...... uh.... NO. I'll park my OWN car, thank you, why should I pay more money than I already do to live and work in this town? FFS.

a-1568724730 Apr 03, 2019 06:49 AM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

Please clearly articulate the issue(s). What’s your question? Your presentation is confusing. There are paid City Parking lots. There is street parking from 20 minutes to 75 minutes. Is there a restriction against valet parking now? Anyone has equal rights to public street parking or camping in any neighborhood. Some streets can be privatized that are not transportation corridors (like dead end streets).

22701015201 Apr 03, 2019 06:33 AM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

Sounds like round 2 is about to happen. Last year the city was trying to pass this ordinance. It didn't get a lot of traction but with continued pressure it will pass if residents don't pay attention. Below in the link to last year's run at a valet parking ordinance. It would permit the removal of parking from the street for valet operations without a way to stop it by any nearby business or resident. Permits are valid for 1 year. My guess is that residents will see parking lots at restaurants turn into paid parking and some valets will be paid to park vehicles on the street too to monetize public parking for their benefit. I bet the Funk Zone will be ground zero. https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=212286

LocalMatt Apr 02, 2019 06:49 PM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

Hard to answer the question. I dont understand who and what you are referring to.

a-1568724730 Apr 02, 2019 10:50 AM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

30+ years ago, when I worked for a now-defunct bank downtown, I did have free parking spaces, but in lots that were 3-4 blocks away from my office. The first was where the Ralphs is now and the second was several blocks down Anacapa, toward the ocean. It was really a pain in bad weather or when I was leaving work after dark. Some of my co-workers would just use the closer City lots (90 minutes free back then), and move their cars to avoid paying.

Red Creek Apr 02, 2019 10:09 AM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

This must be a late April Fool's joke. The one amenity for those of us working, going to the library, eating out, or shopping in downtown SB is the City's lots. And these are already full much of the day.

a-1568724730 Apr 02, 2019 04:59 PM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

It's edhat, they publish anything and everything, they need the readership

a-1568724730 Apr 02, 2019 09:19 AM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

FORGET IT! I can already see the City allowing the valets to use city-owned lots that will reduce spaces for the public along with blocking off sections of public streets even though they say that won't happen. Hogwash! Where do all these "virtual" parking spots suddenly appear?

a-1568724730 Apr 02, 2019 09:03 AM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

I already avoid going downtown unless truly necessary, in large part because of the parking situation. Would they really want to give people even more reasons to avoid going there?

a-1568724730 Apr 02, 2019 09:03 AM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

Your post is very unclear, what are your 2nd and 3rd sentences saying? Can you clarify? Valets are allowed (and always have been) to park in public spaces in the City of SB. They are not allowed to cone off or otherwise block/save spots for upcoming valet parking (cough cough HOTEL Californian). Not sure what you mean by unlimited permits, either.

Yeti Apr 02, 2019 08:40 AM
Valet Parking Headed Downtown?

sure and in Santa Barbara Style, lets charge a boat load for the service too. Make it really inviting so that more people want to come down town and waste more money on parking and deal with congestion, homeless and really high prices. I can hardly wait.