By Nature Boy

I frequently drive to Morro Bay and I always take the 101 all the way rather than cutting through on the 154 (San Marcos Pass). The 154 scares me, it seems every other day you hear of a fatal crash on it.

I've always wondered: How much time is saved by taking the "shortcut" on 154?  Have any readers done a time test to find out how much time it actually saves?  Thanks in advance!

Lucky 777 Oct 15, 2017 09:31 AM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

I drive the 154 to ride my mule at Live Oak, and going the speed limit is what I do. The centrifugal pull on a 1200lb animal in a horse trailer behind me makes him have to constantly shift his weight to accommodate, and it simply isn't possible for me to pull off the road in anything except a designated paved turn-out, no matter how anxious the people behind me are to risk their lives to get somewhere quicker.

pii Oct 15, 2017 09:12 AM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Horse trailers have horses in them. I am focused on my safety and theirs. When it is safe to pull over, I do so. Not before. That pretty much limits me to passing lanes. Elsewhere, realize I must slow down to a speed that is appropriate for the terrain on the shoulder. Sometimes that speed does not seem appropriate for the vehicles behind me. I drive the pass daily and have done so for decades. Whenever I reassess the travel time comparison, I come to the conclusion that it is a wash time wise from 101/154 in SB to 101/246 in Buellton. So, If I am in Goleta, I take the 101. I am not an aggressive driver and like to let others pass me in the passing lanes. I don't pull over elsewhere. I haven't driven over the pass with the horses in years.

a-1511224693 Oct 16, 2017 08:00 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Good point. Some people HAVE to drive 154. They Live on that road! There are stables off the Pass too. (Er, are there still? Or am I thinking of Old San Marcos Rd?)

a-1511224693 Oct 15, 2017 07:46 AM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Depends on where you’re going. From Hope Ranch to Santa Ynez it’s 15min faster on 154. However to anywhere near buellton or even to Solvang it’s a wash. What I wish people would understand is the real math- if you’re driving 30 miles and go 10mph faster, even 15mph faster, you save so little time. A few minutes. Next time you’re in aggressive mode, and want to go 70 on 154, consider that the most you’ll save is 5min and your risk has gone up 1000%.

therealbebe Oct 15, 2017 03:29 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Aside from distracted drivers, most of the problems I've encountered on 154 are due to the slow drivers, not crazy speeders. People need a refresher course on PASSING LANES. The passing lanes are not for you to coast in. They are for you to pass and get over. Drivers are worse when they are annoyed. Try not to be so annoying.

squidmb Oct 15, 2017 07:25 AM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

It’s a math issue - drive 55 on 154 or 75 on 101: about the same time to downtown. But if going to someplace close to Foothill, then an extra 5 minutes can be gained by using 154. I actually find 154 more pleasant (less boring), but I do have to be more alert. And, of course, one slow person can mess up the math!

Gobbledygook Oct 14, 2017 11:42 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

It's actually a violation of the vehicle code (21656, enacted 1959) to cause 5 or more vehicles to pile up behind you. You are required to do whatever is necessary to allow them to pass, including pull all the way off the road. Doesn't matter what vehicle you're driving or what speed you're going: "There is no set speed to determine if you are a slow moving vehicle. If you are traveling at a speed slower than the rest of traffic on the roadway, and if you notice a line of cars behind you who look anxious to pass, then you are a slow moving vehicle and you must get out of the way as soon as it is safe to do so."

a-1511224693 Oct 15, 2017 11:43 AM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

This is true : the problem is NONE of the "slow Joe/Jane" knows about that and respect it. They feel perfectly happy "cruising" at 30 while "admiring" the country side and to H*ll with the backlog behind them. Nor have I ever seen any CHP enforcing this common sense, civility rule ..

mtndriver Oct 15, 2017 07:44 AM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

If only the people who let a line of cars build up behind them knew that. Or maybe they do know it, but just don't care!

a-1511224694 Oct 14, 2017 11:11 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

And the majority of the bad drivers you encounter on the 154 will be seen to have already failed the intelligence test presented by the "Turn On Headlights" signs, not to mention any speed limits.

420722 Oct 14, 2017 10:51 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Seriously! Why let a line of cars gather behind you because your going so damn slow and then when the passing lane comes you speed up so nobody can pass you....as you can see OP most of us say just save yourself the headache and take the 101. I’d rather be going 65-75 with the option of two lanes than be stuck behind granny at 35-39 with the tailgating truck that thinks if he rides your tail it’ll somehow make you go faster even though you can’t.

a-1511224694 Oct 14, 2017 07:57 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Absolutely NO time saving. Most of the time the travel on this road is highly unpleasant. Here's how it goes : You are stuck behind Gran'Ma who drives 40 , 9 other cars following her and a huge pick-up which will tailgate you 5 feet behind your bumper for miles at a time. When you get to a passing lane, Gran'Ma will swiftly accelerate (she now "feels good" being on the "freeway" so she "let's it go") and since most of the people behind her have no sense of accelerating enough to pass her swiftly on the 2 miles of passing lane maybe 2 cars will manage to pass her so that you're now 8th in line rather than 10th as you were before. Ten miles later the same joke repeats itself and long before that you'll scratch your head asking yourself : "why on earth didn't I stay on 101".

a-1511224694 Oct 14, 2017 07:00 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

We've lived in SB over 60 years. I remember when my parents (and I) thought it was a fun thing to do: cruise up The Pass and lunch in bucolic Santa Ynez. Back then, driving in the Caddy at 35mph, The Pass was highly enjoyable. Ah . . . The mountain air. The views.******** Now . . . you couldn't pay me to drive that thing. Too many bad drivers who tailgate and "push" others to drive over the speed limit. Add to that the drunks and "newbie" drivers already mentioned herein and the intermittent emergency closures . . . you've got to be a daredevil and an idiot to drive The Pass.

mtndriver Oct 14, 2017 03:39 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

It's 17 miles shorter. How much less time it takes depends on how fast you drive and how fast others in front of you drive. If you're not comfortable on winding two lane mountain roads, don't go that way. Lots of bad drivers, and yes, I believe the casino has a lot to do with that.

sbgrizdan Oct 14, 2017 01:16 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

For SB to Santa Maria, Google Maps says the 154 is only 1 minute faster. Not worth it!! Take the 101 and get to your destination safe and stress-free! You get 2+ lanes, a center divider, and an ocean view. Unfortunately, this 1 minute "savings" makes it so that the 154 is the deemed technically faster and thus is the default route when people input their destination on their navigation app. This creates more people driving this route than there should be, especially by those from out of town who don't know the roads. I wish Google would take safety into consideration and route people on 101, especially considering there is only a minute difference.

a-1511224694 Oct 15, 2017 03:12 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

My research is that Google has the route over 154 is 18.3 miles shorter and 11 minutes faster. I think the decision to take the faster and shorter route is for drivers to decide, not Google. But I wish Cal Trans would prohibit truckers from using the route (right now they merely advise against it). I also encourage those who are afraid of the highway to take 101 and get out of the way for those of us who know how to drive on real roads.

TheKid5 Oct 14, 2017 11:48 AM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Stay on 101! I have traveled up 101 for almost 60 years on a regular basis and II have not taken 154 for decades. It has always been a dangerous road, but has gotten more so over the years with tourists and drunks driving to Santa Barbara from the Chumash Casino. The 101 between the 154 cut off in SB and the cut off north of Buellton is inherently safer than 154 because it is essentially a wide open road . Look up the statistics on each and see for yourself.

JAD Oct 14, 2017 04:00 PM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Haven't heard 'cut off' in a long time. "...when you get to the Slauson cut off, cut off your slauson." ---Johnny Carson

a-1511224694 Oct 14, 2017 10:36 AM
Time saved by traveling on Highway 154?

Over 35 years ago when I still lived in LA and was hired to do a job off Zaca Mesa Rd in Santa Ynez I was told that taking 154 would save me 12 minutes. Keep in mind there was far less traffic then so cruising speeds were faster with fewer encounters with horse trailers, boat trailers, winery tour buses and tourists in general. Today that probably translates to 5 minutes faster but you'd be white knuckling it most of the way. These are just my opinions and your mileage may vary.