By Roger the Scanner Guy
What the HELL was that kid thinking to go out and rob those shops? Besides himself I mean? He sure was not thinking about the people he robbed or their businesses. He pulled a baseball bat on someone whether or not they had a health issue. What if they had a heart attack and passed away? What would he have done? He would have run away if he knew the charge would not just be for robbery, but also with homicide in there. 19 Years old High school graduate with the whole world ahead of him and he chooses to do stupid shit. Someone said he might be an addict, well an addict could make more money working nowadays then hitting a store for a lousy grand. In my day we got 5 bucks an hour unloading trucks. Nowadays I see adds paying $20.00. In the day when it was five bucks an hour I worked alongside laborers, many of them drunks and addicts and they did not rob stores; they worked hard labor and did their dope and they still worked. Seems to be every excuse in the world for this kid. I know what the comments would say if this kid looked a little different and had a tattoo on his face.
I doubt anyone would be saying “I hope he gets the help he needs.” I remember when I stayed in New House back in the day when once in a while the young kids would come in after they got arrested on a charge that would put them in prison for some time, but it looked better to the courts if they sobered up or got off dope. Sometimes, they made a deal and some stayed sober but some didn’t. At one time I was the youngest kid there, 22 years old. My homeless friends took me to AA because I did not go on my own. I did not want to go to prison, but I did not want to quit drinking either. After a little time being sober, I’d see the benefits. I seemed to get in less trouble when I fell off the wagon after going to New House and AA. But that was me; I did not make a deal to stay out of jail or prison if I went into a program. I went back to drinking but after a while, I liked to be sober too. I liked having clean bed sheets. Other young guys in the house were dying left and right of overdoses. Liver disease, diabetics, A couple guys killed people.
I left New House in about 1984 and went back in the early 90’s and there were a few guys there who had done prison time for a few years, and they were all buffed out thick, tough, in their 30’s some facing that 3rd strike which meant life. Pretty much most of them screwed up and went anyway, but I saw a couple make it out of dozens of others who crashed and burned. If alcohol or drugs are the problems, then you need to sober up or get dry if you have to really want to stay clean. I don’t know why the kid robbed these joints but for whatever reason, it was dumb. 7 Counts of armed robbery, 7 Felonies 3 Strikes you’re out. You do the Math. That’s my MILPAS UNDERPANTS and I’m always sticking to them.
Scanner Reports, Monday:
- Checker unit needed on a vehicle blocking in the 200 Block of Castillo street.
- 10851 Moped found which was stolen from the 300 Block of South Canada.
- 242 Assault victim 1400 Block of Santa Barbara street, Alamada Park possibly drunk needs Medics but not the Fire department.
- Female who went out for a drink missing from Motel 6 North in Carpinteria.- 2900 Block of Samarkland Drive found property.
- Female pushing a stroller peeking in someone’s backyard Cliff Drive at Palasides, police caught up with her at 7-11 in the 1900 Block of Cliff.
- Juvenile 15-16 wearing no clothing at Nogal and Hollister trying to stop traffic then standing in a driveway then disappeared.
- Burglary print shop Carpinteria Ave at Maple in Carpinteria.
- 415 Between a landlord and tenant at 104 Los Aquaries.
- 415 Subject in a laundry room hitting himself 900 San Pascual locked in when police arrived never heard if he left the Laundry room he might still be there.
- 23152 Drunk Driver white Lexus in the Handicapped spot at Tuckers Grove.
- Van one transporting a female to jail.
- Juveniles throwing rocks and other items at the train tracks from the Fairview Avenue Bridge.
- 242 Assault wheelchair kicker city lot 11 500 Block of Anacapa subject in wheelchair kicking an unconscious man in the head.
- 5150 WMA bleeding from leg throwing trash in the 700 Block of State street.
- Premise check Oak Park.
- 415 200 Block of Ladera one subject involved Pepper Sprayed then Medics responded sounded like a neighbor thing (Don’t know why they were arguing or who did what?)
- Traffic accident North La Cumbre at Foothill solo vehicle involved.-
- Ill subject medical call 315 West Carrillo.-
- Public Accident fall victim over loose bricks in the 1200 Block of State street.-
- Check the Welfare of a subject next to an RV yelling in the 2500 Block of Borton Drive.-
Scanner Reports, Tuesday:
- Vehicle vs Bicyclist Via Real at Ballard injury accident.
- Fire department and Medics responded to a subject passed out in a Mercedes this morning at the Grocery Outlet 2840 DLV.
- Grey and Blue Cannon 10 speed stolen from 29 North Milpas Mc Donalds.
- Juvenile problem 200 Block of Ladera.
- Check the Welfare of a subject down in the Parking lot 3040 State Street.
- Suspicious subject watching children at a school in the First Block of East Micheltorena posted on a Roger Report.
- Hold Up Alarm Union Bank Market Place no robbery.
- Homeless subject carrying a chisel and a hammer in the 700 Block of East Victoria.
- Marborg Trash Can theft 200 South Milpas it was my trash can I miss it so much it was taken right in front of me by Robin she took my trash can, she tore up our beautiful gardens, left the water on for hours raising the bill, and showered naked in the yard if anyone is interested in Robins gardening let me know and I’ll be more than happy to send her your way.
- SBPD on subjects city lot 10 Breezeway they took off and after a brief pursuit, they were caught.
- 1500 Block of J Street child abuse investigation.
- West Harbor Lot RV Stuck in the sand Harbor Patrol was on the job.
- 415 Subjects a couple Drunks at Taco Bell 800 Block of North Milpas.
- Suspicious subject trying door handles 1400 Block of San Andres walking North.
- Mobil Station check the welfare female subject 402 West Mission
- SBPD Units on a detail Santa Barbara Silly Council meeting at Silly Hall.
- 415 Subject refusing to leave GVCH Patterson at Hollister.
- Injury accident Bus vs Bicyclist State street at Guiterrez.
I am not a Police Officer or a Text Book Shrink, personally, I’d much rather be a Panhandling bum than either one. I never made much of my life from my troubled past, but I have learned a thing or two through the years. I was a violent offender as a juvenile who committed several violent offenses. I was angry because I had been abused Physically, Mentally, Sexually. I have many scars physical and mental some of the physical scars I gave myself. I attempted suicide several times seriously. I had violent thoughts to kill other people well into my 40’s, the thoughts were overpowering. I told no one about them I was afraid of myself. Those thoughts left me after I sobered up the last time. I no longer have thoughts to hurt other people. I was physically beaten down by my father twice where I was admitted to the hospital one time in ICU. I was teased in school everyday bullied and picked on in grade school. I fractured one kid’s skull almost killing him, and crushing another kids skull he has a plate in his head. I became a cutter cutting up both my arms they are both still scared today once I started fighting back people left me alone. I went to a Military school where I made an explosive and injured other cadets. I was violently raped several times in my teens, the last time I was 19 where I got stabbed. I was also beaten with a pipe about my face and head crushing bones in my face my fingers my arm and a slash across the wrist. I was beaten with a metal baseball bat on my left shoulder. I have been hit several times by cars once intentionally. I may not know shit when it comes to being a Law Enforcement Officer, a Shrink. I may not know about current investigations as an attorney and I don’t believe in the business of injustice but I know a violent person when I see one and Yes it takes one to know one. This information about me I have shared is the tip of the iceberg. I do know what it is like.
Have a great WEDnesday… Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Thomicina, Tiger, Midnight, Merlin, Lola, PoPo, Fish Head One, and Two. Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, David Cox, Poe, Marty, Cop John, Eddie, Bambi, Bengy, Ricky, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Pat, Mavis, Lafayette, Ted, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Isabelle, Jerry, Debbie, Ken, LUCY! John Hancock, Micky Mantle, Erie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty and Chris Willing we will see you on FRYday.