Scanner Reports 6-7-19
by Roger the Scanner Guy
I was walking back from Trader Joes one day. I was behind Carl's Junior near the Smoke Shop at 11 South Milpas when I saw 2 Police Officers speaking with a homeless man. One of the officers looked at me and I said "Good Afternoon Officer." He says to me "Good Afternoon, do you know about the Warming Centers? You should get signed in as it's going to rain overnight." "Thank you" I answered, "but I'm not homeless." "Oh I'm sorry." the officer said. "It's all right people make that mistake all the time no biggy." I continued on. What a nice thing they were out there helping the homeless get into the warming centers before it rains. It wasn't this way before. We have a decent police chief now. She cares about folks. That is good.
I listen to the Scanner before Sun up till a little after sun down. On most days I hear a lot of calls involving the homeless. Most of them are 415pc Disturbances, Or Fights, yelling, Aggressive Panhandling,484 Shoplifting or petty theft, 647F, Code 40 Drunk in public, 374pc Going to the can in public, Warming-Cooking Fires or Check the Welfare of a subject. Many of the Check the Welfare calls are people who are drunk or cannot care for themselves, or they have fallen out of their wheelchairs, or have gotten sick all over themselves. The City Police handle each call in a professional and compassionate manner. If you don't believe me get yourselves a scanner and observe them yourselves. I realize that homeless people have nowhere to live and very limited access to bathrooms. I was houseless. Before, if I could not find a place to go to the can, I found a bush, or I buried it in a wooded area. I did not drop a load on the sidewalks in public or in someone's yard. In the Older Days back 20 or so years ago many of the homeless around town were nice, not as demanding, and did not have cooking or warming fires. They had candles for warmth and to read by. Many ate at a shelter, the rescue mission, the Sally, or Dumpster-dived for grub. Some who recycled found cans of food in the dumpsters and garbage cans and when they would miss a meal they would eat the food from one of their found cans. Many of the homeless carried P-38'S.
Things were different back then. There was more respect all the way around. I'm not as stupid as some of you take me for. I have been around the block a few times. Get the hell out of your SUV's and Yuppie mobiles and take a walk in my shoes for a few days. You will have sore feet. I know there are veterans who are homeless, I know there are Mentally Ill Folks Too and Crippled Folks, the Terminally ill, and the Elderly. These people deserve compassion and get it. Then there are those out there that don't deserve compassion. They are crooks committing criminal acts on others (not just residents but other homeless folks too). A whole new guide book needs to be written up and followed concerning being homeless. There should be no rules that one cannot sleep on public property, but they must respect it by not littering or lighting fires, many of which get out of control. I will rely on the SBSO, SBPD, CHP, SBFD, and AMR, The staff at Cottage Hospital... All of which are doing a great job dealing with the homeless. On occasion, I will continue to voice my opinion as I am entitled. That's my MILPAS UNDERPANTS AND I'M STICKING TO THEM. Here are your scanner reports.
Scanner Reports, Wednesday
- Panhandler 201 South Milpas.
- Threats investigation 1000 Block of Alphonse.
- 459pc Burglary at the Chase Bar and Grill 1000 Block of State street.
- 8 South Milpas 20002 Non injury hit and run.
- Premises check DLG Plaza.
- 415 Domestic on Oceanview only one block long so not posting address.
- 911 Hang up check the welfare also on Oceanview.
- 417pc Brandishing a knife at Elings Park subject pulled a knife on an employee WMA personal license plate lives on the West Side.
- Subject yelling angry at barking dogs 200 Block of South First street I bet he gets real angry when he hears Barking spiders.
- Suspicious white van at the Biltmore 1200 Block of Channel Drive subject cleaning it out littering.
- Juveniles smoking weed behind the 200 Block of West Cota.
- Non injury traffic accident one subject does not want to exchange info Haley at Milpas streets..
- Albertsons on East Clark ripped off for a cart of groceries suspect drove off in a brown Camry, male suspect.
- 20002 Non injury hit and run 300 Block of Garden newer red pick up truck last seen South on Garden street.
- Med Call Sansum clinic 4100 Block of Foothill.
- Med call SB Rescue Mission for a panic attack.
- Check the welfare of a subject down 500 Block of Brinkerhoff at the bus stop.
- Check the welfare of a subject down Carrillo at DLV.
- Skateboarder down with an ankle injury UCSB front of the Life Sciences Building.
- Theft of alcohol from Tino's in the 200 Block of West Carrillo.
- 242pc in a small grey car behind Foodland in the 1500 Block of San Andreas male beating female who was in the back seat vehicle was stopped by SBPD at San Andreas and Victoria registered owner 17-year-old from Carpinteria.
- 261pc Rape investigation Cottage Hospital.
- Van one was on foot patrol downtown at around 7:35pm.
- 415 Domestic 2200 Block of Ortega Hill.
- 415 Male yelling on the 2nd floor apartment in the 1900 Block of San Pasqual.
- Code 40 Drunk stumbling in front of Mission Audio in the 1900 Block of DLV Maybe he was dancing.
Scanner Reports, Thursday
- Check the welfare of a subject at the Rescue Mission 535 East Yanonali.
- 415pc Transient disturbing in the 3300 Block of State street.- Shoplifter in custody at Macys 3805 State street.
- Med Call 111 Harbor Way.
- Subject down inside of a store 100 Block of West Carillo fall victim.
- Med Call unconscious subject Carpinteria School District 1400 Block of Linden.
- Alert 2 at the Airport for a Cessna unknown number of Souls on board all is well plane landed safely.
- 4245 Hollister 2 transients trespassing in a field.
- Med Call for a subject laying on the side of the road highway 150 at the 101 Northbound call called off
- Structure Fire 100 Block of Cathedral Cove Ventura.
- Fire reported out in an oven in the 1300 Block of Santa Barbara street, food in the stove.
- 415 Domestic 300 Block of Ladera.
- Road Rage and skidmarks in the Carrillo UNDERPANTS on vehicle tailgating the other ended up in the parking lot of Starbucks 200 Block of West Carrillo. Not sure if it was road rage or two friends screwing around.
- Check the welfare of a subject in a wheelchair in the 800 Block of North Milpas street.
- Code 60 Vehicle blocking in the 1700 Block of Grand.
- Take a bite out of the foot patient with a severe foot laceration says that a crab bit her foot near the FOOT of Sterns Wharf she was waiting for Fire and Medics at Cabrillo and State street.
- Reckless driver on the freeway Southbound got off at Los Patos in a white Mercedes with Penn. plates.
- 415 Transient disturbing on the 2nd floor of the Library throwing chairs must be reading Edhat.
- Check the Welfare of an elderly male who seems confused at Hollister and Patterson.
- 417pc Brandishing a weapon investigation 1100 Block of East Mason.
That latest Homicide is sad. I hear a few sometimes and more 415pc Domestics each day on the scanner. If you cannot get along break it up. Better to get away and be single than to get into trouble. Relationships are very hard. Some people don't have what it takes to work things out. At the first sign of abuse from either side get out. If you feel like you're going to lose it and get violent walk away before it's too late...Have a great Week End...Peter, Molly, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tomicina, Tiger, Midnight, Merlin, Maxwell, Shadow, FREDDIE! Lola, PoPo, Tiny, Andy, Fish Heads, One, and Two, Poncho, Denny Deem, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Pat, Mavis, Lafayette, Ted, Mark, Willie, Eddie, Bambi, Bengie, Ricky, Mrs. MacArthur, Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy, Ed, LUCY! STOBE THE HOBO, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, John Havlick, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris willing we will see you on MONday-MONday. Later, Roger