By an edhat reader

Was curious,  if readers had experience,  with this? I fractured my back, a few weeks ago...went to Goleta Cottage,  ER..they were great. Anyway,  was sent home with a prescription, for 8 pills, opioids....also heard the Doctor talking to my husband,  on how to revive me. We went to pick up the prescription  and he had also prescribed Naloxone...not covered by insurance...$96.00! Declined it....not a drug person, am a senior.

Anyway,  is this just done at Goleta Cottage? Being so close to UCSB? On the east coast,  in a very small town I lived in 20 years ago...they have Naloxone training,  every Saturday,  at the library...free supply, training  certificate...
I hope the police,  Council members,  will consider this...people need to know how to use it...

a-1658430011 Jul 21, 2022 12:00 PM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

Just want to point out that people die from accidental drug overdoses all the time, even seniors who are not "drug people".

pstarSR Jul 21, 2022 12:25 PM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

you declined it yet want to know how to use it?

the opioids needed for a broken back are pretty strong. hence why you only got 8. your doctor, who went to school for this, prescribed it. probably for good reason.

and wow im sorry but why would the proximity to UCSB be an issue? you seem to think our UCSB is filled with people overdosing constantly? but yet arent overdosing elsewhere? like downtown SB?

this post is full of head scratching comments

a-1658433682 Jul 21, 2022 01:01 PM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

Too many people think they are immune to statistics. Just because you don't fit in the most at risk category does not mean you are not, still, at risk.

forrealnews Jul 21, 2022 04:00 PM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

Actually, doctors are the main reason we have the opioid crisis. They have been the main over prescribers. So, yes, while a doctor is a doctor, a healthy amount of skepticism or additional information in always necessary. As far as offering this to a "non drug person" as mentioned in the post, one of the main ways people overdose is completely by accident. People who are not taking things like this regularly can be even more at risk because they have a lower tolerance which makes it even riskier for them. Additionally, the fact that you are seniors may be part of the reason...concern that you or your caretaker may forget how much time has passed since the last dose.

a-1658471362 Jul 21, 2022 11:29 PM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

Just because you are receiving a prescription for opioids doesn’t mean you are going to overdose either. An RX for Nalaxone with 8 opioid pills for a fractured back is ridiculous. The $96 cost is suspicious and a scam. The OP is an adult who I assume can read a label on an RX bottle. The pharmacist also consulted on the meds. Why is there no personal accountability for anything anymore? Why do people assume no one can manage their own health or read a label and follow directions? The Supreme Court doesn’t think women are capable of making their own health care decisions. Apparently Cottage doesn’t think an adult with a fractured back can either.

It has been proven that people and animals take longer to heal when they are in pain. This hysteria over opioids has caused many who need pain relief to suffer.

Ahchooo Jul 22, 2022 09:40 AM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

It may be that when taking opioids one’s memory and reasoning can be affected, so an overdose becomes more likely. Might be wise to set up your drugs in a way where you don’t just go back to the bottle for another one, but (for example) have to open a sealed envelope marked: “Friday noon pain pill.” Especially if one lives alone, with no one to help keep track.

tagdes Jul 21, 2022 05:13 PM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

I have cancer and this seems the norm. I had to pick up some Oxy at Sansum and they recommended it for me. The same deal, not covered and I would have to pay $60 for it with my prescription. The was ordered from Ridley Tree Cancer center.

JoggerJoe Jul 22, 2022 12:27 AM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

It's the Norm and it's for a very good reason as stated by several people. Seniors especially. We figured it would not hurt anyone to at least have one on hand just in case. $96 seems steep tho

a-1658477624 Jul 22, 2022 01:13 AM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

I'm 60 and received an Rx for 5mg hydrocodone after a fracture at the beginning of May. Naloxone was never mentioned by my doctor or pharmacist.

a-1658496356 Jul 22, 2022 06:25 AM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

I also had a Rx for Naloxone along with the Rx for the pain meds when I was discharged following a fall and head injury. The doctor explained that it was a precaution in case of an accidental overdose. I understood the reason but declined as I didn't plan to take the powerful pain meds anyway, only used Tylenol.

el_smurfo Jul 22, 2022 08:35 AM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

The medical system in this town is pretty unreliable in an emergency. Your doctor knows this and prescribed the naloxone so you can take care of yourself just in case. When you go on a blood thinner, they prescribe vitamin K in case you OD on warfarin and need to get your bleeding under control in times when a doctor is not available in a timely fashion. I'd also recommend having a full array of emergency pet medications on hand as we have no reliable emergency veterinarians in town and you will often be told to drive to Ventura in the middle of the night.

Lucky 777 Jul 22, 2022 04:26 PM
Naloxone Training for Prescriptions?

The situation in SB for emergency pet care is awful. I just called VMSG (Veterinary Medical Surgical Group) in Ventura to confirm their current hours: M-Th 24 hours, closed Fri, S&S 9-5. I recommend them highly BUT this schedule is a result of staffing issues, and is tragic compared to the recent past when they were 24/7. They have saved several of my animals over the years.