Montecito Aerials Part 2

(Scroll through top photos)

By John Wiley

Since so many Edhatters viewed and commented on the Feb. 3 Casa De Maria article and pix from our Thursday Feb. 2 flight, here are a few more aerial updates. First, in a closer zoom of Casa you can see outlines of the meeting room and office foundations along with the winding stairs (I've posted a gMaps "before" link on SBitZ). Next a wide shot of the mountain showing boulders in the East fork of Cold Spring Creek up the right side and the Thomas burn edge up past the Tea Garden to the top-left. Then a view of debris basin and creek clearing work from the West side of upper Cold Spring Creek. Last is just downstream (to the right) of the debris basin. Homes there were destroyed by the overwhelming rush of debris and boulders as they spread out on the shallower slope and cut new channels. If there's interest, I'll send Ed aerial views of more work on debris basins and creeks run wild.

Past Article

February 4, 2018 - Montecito Aerials

a-1573847857 Feb 06, 2018 09:20 AM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

I find people complaining about aircraft to be absurd. My last home was near Goleta Valley Hospital, directly under the landing path of large jets. THAT was loud. It was so bad sometimes I had to put phone calls on hold to wait for jets to pass. But seriously, anyone living anywhere else, yes even in Montecito, has nothing to complain about. The occasional noise of a low-flying small aircraft is NOTHING. We had 2 Harrier jump jets fly over and it was so loud my 4 year old at the time freaked out and was screaming and crying. We could see the pilots and they actually waved to us, they were that low. So please, spare me the whining about helicopters or single engine prop planes flying at least 1,000 feet above. Also, as for Montecito, you will need to accept that it is still a disaster area and small aircraft of all kind (fixed wing and copters) will be flying around to help with the recovery efforts.

ladylagomorph Feb 06, 2018 09:11 AM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

I appreciate Mr. Wiley's updates. Local news sources are lame, and between Edhat and Noozhawk, Is where we get our news. I lived on Elwood Beach Dr. for years, then under the helicopter landing path in downtown Goleta. These helicopters and tourists will stop. The constant air traffic in Goleta is nerve wracking. After years the vibrations shattered our shower door. (Thank goodness our children, who were toddlers at the time, were not in the bath!). There are so many things to complain about...one with a definite end date, such as the convoy of dump trucks dumping mud at the end our street, have to be lived with. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Two words:. Ear plugs! Fantastic invention!

RHS Feb 06, 2018 09:00 AM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

A very noisy small plane crawled across the SB city heading toward Montecito on Thursday about noon. On other days helicopters swerve toward Hope Ranch and small jets deviate from approaches to the airport to go near Campanile Hill. On weekends real estate agents give views to potential big spenders using this technology and we even had (have?) tourist tours just for the "fun of it" from SBO. The discomfort of the people on the ground is just ignored for these selfish purposes. While emergency flights and even some survey work is valuable, most of these intrusions should be stopped. People actually using aircraft for transportation should proceed over water or less populated areas even if this means a slightly longer air time out of politeness if nothing else.

Fitness1 Feb 06, 2018 08:44 AM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

I hiked San Ysidro to Camino Cielo and back every week for years. Knew every turn and dip in that trail. This photos are so sad. Unrecognizable.

Flicka Feb 06, 2018 08:00 AM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

What's with the helicopter comments? We have been informed before what type "airplane" Mr. Wiley has. Thank you, John, for keeping us informed with your photos. More would be great.

a-1573847857 Feb 06, 2018 07:24 AM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

While I understand the need for updates........the low flying helicopter sent me over the edge yesterday . Just a bit disrespectful.

Davidb Feb 05, 2018 08:09 PM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

A bit off topic, but where can I find CURRENT Road Closure info? Everything I have seen is out of date. While on that subject, what is going on with Hot Springs Road? I had heard that it was open above Olive Mill - and used it a couple of times. However there are ominous signs like "Emergency Vehicles Only" and "Long Term Exclusion Zone". - yet I see people driving on it. Are the signs just to discourage the looky-loos? Us residents need it badly (it took me about an hour to drive the length of Coast Village Road this afternoon).

a-1573847857 Feb 05, 2018 06:17 PM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

I know it's informative to let the public know the depth of destruction and the clean up process but low flying helicopters over our homes cause quite a bit of distress to us locals.

Fitness1 Feb 06, 2018 06:52 AM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

I believe Mr. Wiley flies a light winged aircraft, not a helicopter.

22701015201 Feb 05, 2018 04:04 PM
Montecito Aerials Part 2

The destruction is amazing. What worries me is next time... There is a article on Noozhawk about this. There is a good possibility that things can be worse next time. Very scary. Check out the story called: Risk of More Montecito Flood Devastation is Just a Downpour Away.