Mesa Lane Water Smells?

By an edhat reader

My tap water over near Mesa Ln has smelled kinda Brackish/Pond watery for months now, was wondering if anyone else has this issue?-maybe the desal water has funny smell?

Bene Aug 06, 2019 02:12 PM
Mesa Lane Water Smells?

I live on the Mesa and my water smelled GREAT until the desal started running a couple years back. Now my water alternates between "swampy" smell and taste and strong chemical fumes. It almost seems like the water gets very brackish and "polluted" and then they suddenly dump in excessive chemicals to counteract. It's not at all healthy and my family has been suffering rashes and other health problems since. But there is nothing really to be done about this except to move, I think. A group of people have been trying to deal with the water dept about this for some time, but only meeting denial and evasion. It's very political as massive money was spent on the desal plant. It also could be said that the SB desal plant is doing something somewhat unprecedented as it delivers 100 percent desal to some areas and other areas get none or a mixture. Other desal plants like the Carlsbad one always mix the desal with other water sources. Other countries have had problems with 100 percent desal. With some exceptions, the main areas getting 100 percent desal in SB are the poorer areas like downtown, Ladera area, lower Milpas, Mesa, city college, etc. where a majority of residents are poorer Latino families, and students---less likely to complain. If this crappy water was being pumped at 100 percent to Montecito and Hope Ranch type areas, bet there would be something done.

a-1565197215 Aug 07, 2019 10:00 AM
Mesa Lane Water Smells?

The PW water person Joshua Haggmark has either been the Pied Piper for pushing desalination or the patsy for politicians in this continuing debacle. Desalinated water is hugely expensive and not needed except to justify growth (speculators). The company that is contracted for the plant will make huge money over decades while the consumers gag. By the way they are trying to sell this water to Montecito at least. The city is offering to basically subsidize Montecito to use this product by giving that area a direct no cost multi million dollar pipeline from the plant. Let Haggmark know that this is a bad thing we are doing and that we need better solutions such as recycled water. JHaggmark@SantaBarbaraCA.gov

mattyboy Aug 06, 2019 08:05 PM
Mesa Lane Water Smells?

I definitely noticed a change downtown when the desal came online. There was a taste/smell change as well as hardness change, and it varies by the day.

biguglystick Aug 06, 2019 09:39 AM
Mesa Lane Water Smells?

I have seen the water run BROWN from our tap and also from my tap at work downtown. It's alarming! Come on, Santa Barbara. Get it together.

mattyboy Aug 06, 2019 07:10 AM
Mesa Lane Water Smells?

Downtown SB I've noticed sometimes running baths for kids that the water smells like mothballs. Apparently that smell could be from naphthalene...

a-1565036865 Aug 05, 2019 01:27 PM
Mesa Lane Water Smells?

Here in Noleta we depend on well water too and I wouldn't use for coffee. Washing up is all it's good for.