Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss title=
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

(Courtesy Photo)

This is the second installment in our "Meet Your Mayoral Candidates" series. Every day this week we'll be featuring information and a video interview from our five applicants vying to be the next Santa Barbara Mayor in alphabetical order, because Ed does not take sides. All past candidates can be seen here. Today, we're featuring Frank Hotchkiss, learn more about him below.

Frank is a Vietnam veteran as well as a Yale graduate. In 1984, he founded his own public relations firm, Hotchkiss/Associates. In addition, Frank is an actor, journalist, current city council member and agent with Sotheby’s International Realty. He was re-elected to a 4 term in November 2013.

Frank sits on various advisory groups and city council committees, such as the downtown parking committee (alternate) and the ordinance committee. Community focused, Frank hopes to increase public safety by rehabilitating gang members, encourage growth for large and small businesses in Santa Barbara, and enhance the waterfront.

Thank you Newsmakers with Jerry Roberts for conducting the interview and sharing the video with edhat readers.

SBPaul Sep 27, 2017 03:58 PM
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

He seems like the best choice if it were not for the petroleum garb and the crappy Zoning rule that was imposed on every new home buyer in town. Both I have gotten to be effected by closely. If he could focus on our community a little more and less on the big dollars I would vote for him because he might be able to turn this thing around from our most recent era. But I don't really think that is gonna happen. Why can't our candidates address the public in a forum like this? If any have I would love to hear about it.

a-1516572852 Sep 27, 2017 11:17 AM
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

Several years ago I attended a City Council meeting. I can't recall what items were on the agenda, but I do remember there was a discussion about single-use plastic bags. It is forever etched in my mind what Hotchkiss had to say. He said no one should ever worry about marine mammals ingesting plastic bags because-----get this-----the animals would just "poop out the bags." What a dumba$$.

EastBeach Sep 26, 2017 11:22 PM
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

Based on his recent quotes in the Independent, Hotchkiss thinks the internment of Japanese-Americans during WW2 was OK, belittles their suffering, is a climate change denier, and wants to build Trump's wall. Pass. But as the only conservative running in a field of four candidates in an off-year election, he's got a shot.

420722 Sep 26, 2017 02:11 PM
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

Well we need a mayor that can offer more than advice on dogs. The last thing we need is more growth or waterfront enhancement. It's looks fine, didn't they just totally re-do it? We have much bigger issues that need to be addressed. Water anyone? Mental Health? Overpopulation? Infrastructure? Disappearing money?

CivilEngineer Sep 26, 2017 01:12 PM
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

When I contacted the City Council and the Mayor about the City's Dangerous Dog Ordinance, Mr. Hotchkiss was very responsive and gave me good advice. This was not during an election so that makes me think that is the way he operates and wasn't just trying to get my vote. Mr. Rouse and Ms. Murillo were also responsive and I appreciated their input.

a-1516572852 Sep 26, 2017 12:52 PM
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

My impression of FH after meeting him was that he was Trump-like, in that he seemed to be a rich white guy with little patience for anyone else who isn’t.

jimjah Sep 26, 2017 11:32 AM
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

I'm curious ... how is it Hal Conklin, after been elected mayor following his 4th term on the S.B. City Council, was directed by the Courts to step down from his post because of the term limits rule. Yet Hotchkiss is supposing the term limit rule does not apply to him.

jqb Sep 26, 2017 06:31 PM
Meet Your Mayoral Candidate: Frank Hotchkiss

Clarification: the limits are 2 consecutive terms as council member, 2 consecutive terms as mayor, and 4 consecutive terms as either. Conklin went over the limit, having already served 4 consecutive terms on the council, and so was not eligible that year to be mayor (but is now eligible, despite a lot of silly people who don't understand the word "consecutive"). Hotchkiss has termed out as council member, but is still eligible as mayor since that's within the 16 year cumulative limit.