By an edhat reader

Is Cox Service down for other business customers in Goleta/Santa Barbara? It’s currently impossible to even contact them via phone or web chat!

Every week it’s something with this company. Every week we lose business because their service goes down or updates don’t complete or perhaps they are just incapable or I adequately equipped to handle the needs of their monopolized market here.

Ehdat Sep 05, 2019 09:03 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

I have been not a hater of Cox until recently. About 3 months ago I received an email notification of my current data use. I did a double take. This was not my TMobile account. Since when did they have data caps ( well according to them since 2017) I read the email and and noticed that even without thinking about it, using streaming video everyday without thought I only made to 3/4 of the data cap. Piece of cake i thought. Then every month since they started notifying me, me data went over.. Extra 10 bux, meh, no problem.. then month 2, an extra $50, then month 3, an extra $100 ( double my bill ) We only have 3 people using the internet, and full time workers not home half the time. Ok, so I called them and they referred me to a data usage tool, but guess what? it only only goes back 3 months. I want to see my data usage for the 6 months before when I never went over a penny. Cox said it is not available.... seems highly suspect. Anyone else have similar experience with the data usage? I was forced to pay the $49 unlimited data.. Now with no TV service, my internet will be $165 mo. ( i guess Cox is trying to anticipate everyone cutting cable.

jasonc70 Sep 04, 2019 03:53 PM

Not down for me
jason@ubuntu0:~$ uptime
15:49:18 up 28 days,
What exactly is the problem? Can you ping 127.0.0.1? Can you ping your default gateway? Can you ping 1.1.1.1? If you are getting reply pings from 1.1.1.1, then are they intermittent or steady? Can you ping www.google.com? Did you try a different computer? Did you try hard wiring your computer to the modem or are you using a firewall and wifi? Did you cycle power to your cox modem? Are you using a coax cable splitter between your modem and the wall?

a-1567629839 Sep 04, 2019 01:43 PM
Disruption in Cox Service

We just want one decent local competitor. Heck, even Comcast would keep Cox honest. Are you listening SB elected officials?

Channelfog Sep 05, 2019 08:30 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

Fibre optic cables are already on poles in many neighborhoods. A public utility could connect everyone, but there's no profit for cox to do so. The public utility Antel provides great, affordable service here in Uruguay. Public utilities work!

a-1567635961 Sep 04, 2019 03:26 PM
Disruption in Cox Service

@tagdes. You should sort out how the internet works. Internet access providers don't need to "own" the poles or the wires. It's all about licensing. Having one local provider is a choice by those who manage the access...

tagdes Sep 04, 2019 03:19 PM
Disruption in Cox Service

And just whom do you think is going to come in and run 1,000 s upon 1,000 s of new coax on Edison's poles and still be able to under bid Cox. We all know how far the fiber optics plan got off the ground. Just move to Portland or whatever burg has free WiFi if you're suffering so much here.

a-1567629984 Sep 04, 2019 01:46 PM
Disruption in Cox Service

Instead of another greedy corporation, how about competition from a "public option"?

sbrobert Sep 04, 2019 01:37 PM
Disruption in Cox Service

I ended my Cox service several years ago when they raised their price one too many times, started requiring rental of one of their awful Cox boxes and eliminated the one service I really cared about. I could not even find a single person at any level of Cox who cared why I was canceling my service. They just do not care. I watch KEYT with an antenna and get Internet through DSL. Good enough for me.
==========================================================================
As a matter of fact public utilities work very well. Check out the price of utilities through Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) compared with the private profiteers. SANTABARBARA observer is absolutely correct that our system of legalized bribery has given us one of the worst Internet systems at one of the highest prices in the industrialized world.

SBLocalGal Sep 04, 2019 12:48 PM
Disruption in Cox Service

COX is still the best internet provider around. The constant price hikes are mostly in the cable TV area, which one can avoid by cutting their cable TV service and replace it with one of the many options available. We have Hulu Live along with a few other streaming services (Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime) that we already had along with Cox TV and haven't missed anything we care to watch. A digital antenna brings in KEYT3 whenever there is a local emergency and the internet might be out.

icanreadcanyou Sep 05, 2019 07:31 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

That's saying nothing, as they've got the monopoly on quality/bandwidth. I've had internet service only from Cox for more than seven years now, and those rates rise regularly: it's not just their TV rates. Oh, and: no more itemized bills, so they're free to tack on any "hidden" fees without us knowing what they're for. Thanks a pantload, FCC & Cox.

LCP112233 Sep 04, 2019 11:35 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

Oh yeah. If we were a socialist Country, our internet would be much better. LOL.

EastBeach Sep 05, 2019 08:29 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

JQB has it right ... I'm told in the UK and other countries in Europe, the government owns internet infrastructure and then let private companies compete on top of that. My friends across the pond say their internet and mobile fees are lower than here with better performance.

jqb Sep 04, 2019 11:50 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

It IS much better in Japan and Europe, which are far more "socialist" than the U.S.

a-1567619778 Sep 04, 2019 10:56 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

Outside of Cox's prices, I have zero complaints about the service I receive or the customer service people I talk to on the phone when I need it. I'd like to pay a lot less than I do, my bill is stupid, but the internet is reliable and fast.

SantaBarbaraObserver Sep 04, 2019 10:07 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

Be thankful we have Cox. The alternatives are notoriously awful. Comcast is consistently ranked the worst company in the US and CenturyLink is not far behind. The other major broadband providers in the US are just as bad (Verizon, ATT, etc). Cox for all of its shortcomings is by far the best provider available. If you're still not convinced, thank your Congressperson for continuing to allow these companies - who have all been gifted public property, for their terrible service offerings and our last place among the world's developed nations for bandwidth. Remember, in America all it takes is a few million $ in political donations and you too can write the rules that oversee your business. Its the Golden Rule, AKA 'payola'... And it's the very basis for freedom, according to the GOP. Yeah freedom!

a-1567613723 Sep 04, 2019 09:15 AM
Disruption in Cox Service

They are terrible, but it's all we got. What can be done? I think if enough people complain, something will happen. We had terrible service last night for a few hours then went back to normal. They are just a terrible company.