By an edhat reader

I would like to hear about other Edhatters experiences with cutting the Cox cable cord. I am on a grandfathered plan that has held steady at about $115/mo (cable+internet). I am considering cancelling cable, keeping internet and signing up for Hulu Plus which now has live streaming (at about $40/month). I see that Cox only guarantees their internet rate for 12 mos. What are people's experiences with them jacking up rates? Is this worth it? I don't want to cancel my cable and end up paying the same or possibly more with basically the same content as we all know these companies always jack up rates. Once I cancel I won't be able to get this plan again. Thanks in advance.

Luvaduck Nov 14, 2017 10:55 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

The public library has music, books and videos they loan out for free; most bars have TV's tuned to ESPN if you're a sports addict. For quite a while now TV news, like sit-coms, has been "entertainment" often of the sensationalist or slimy variety. If it's who did what to whom, Roger has that covered. If you care what's going on in politics, you're safe in assuming that besides politico's overwhelming need to be/get on the gravy train, it's boils down to greed, stupidity, misuse of power, serial bullying, theft of public funds, narcissism, molestation, hypocrisy, & connivance, and the general assumption that right and wrong depend on if you get caught or not and whether you can sell denial.

NativeofSB Nov 14, 2017 11:35 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

We cut the cable cord last week. Finally fed up with the rising rates. Tired of calling in every year playing their game and talking with the Loyalty Department to get a deal for a year. We kept our internet (a grandfathered plan - Premier). It's costing us $90 a month. We've been customers for over thirty five years. We had a place in Florida for a short time and our cable tv & internet with Time Warner was half the cost of Santa Barbara! One more red check mark for our City.

a-1539995194 Nov 14, 2017 09:56 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Google Fiber is failing. They cant handle the infrastructure needed for expansion and compete with current carriers. They also received the worst rating for poor service and outages. Go to your provider and bundle to save. TV will eventually be free just like a land line but your internet will be a few hundred a month. So if you can live without high speed internet then good for you. If you cut and go with Hulu, netflix and other streaming sites you will eventually be paying the same or more than just having cable.

a-1539995194 Nov 14, 2017 08:50 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

OP here - I have a plan that is no longer offered to new customers - now they have Contour or whatever and I refused to switch over - kept my plan super basic. That is how I got the grandfathered plan. No OWN, Travel Channel, etc. so if you are willing to go with less and have an older plan you can do the same.

petersb Nov 14, 2017 07:41 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Blame the FCC - originally, the deal with cable companies was sunsetted - lay the cable and you have 10 year exclusive use, after which any provider can also use same cable... needless to say, cable lobbiests persuaded our Congress (this was 30 years ago, I believe) to extend the exclusivity. It continues to this day... our land of open competition.

Bodyboarder73 Nov 13, 2017 11:48 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

I've had the $115 rate with cox for about 5 years now. I started out at around $75 for cable and internet, so it has gradually gone up. Oddly when I first got cox it was a plan offered through the school district so my kids could have internet for $10 a month because the school district give's them lap tool's now to do their homework. As my kids have gotten older though it's obviously gradually increased. You do have to call and lock in the rate you're currently paying every year, so that it was has kept mine so low. That and me basically threatening to cancel if it goes any higher than $115 a month. I don't know the story on how the original poster got the same rate, but you could probably get it by saying you'd like to cancel, but you'd stay if you got this rate as well.

GeneralTree Nov 13, 2017 08:54 PM

Our Verizon Internet service was taken over by Frontier Communicatiions in SB

a-1539995194 Nov 13, 2017 07:51 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Could you please offer some assistance on how you got grandfathered in? I've been a customer for over 3 decades. I'd love that $115 deal! What services do you have? Thanks in advance.

a-1539995194 Nov 13, 2017 07:46 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Thanks for experience and info, EdnSB. My understanding is that it's more difficult to cut your rate or get a lower rate when you change services, if you are a long-term customer, which I am. Cox offers teasers; you have to argue/fight to receive them. I've been a customer for decades. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I pay $53 for internet and $100 for expanded basic cable; the channels of which change every frigging month. $22 for phone, which is cheaper than when I had Verizon where I used to live. I've just given in, because I can afford it and don't want to mess with it. I like my tv and online play. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not that I think one SHOULD give in. Cox is a horror. OP is getting a good deal indeed. I don't complain about city prices for sewage, water and trash -- it's much cheaper than Cox. Cox cable I can live without! well.... TV would go first of course.

tagdes Nov 13, 2017 08:50 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Just changed services today. Upgraded internet to 100 Mbs and cut TV to basic 73 channels plus free HBO for 2 years and dropped my bill from $210 to $90 a month.

therealbebe Nov 13, 2017 02:52 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

I have xfinity/comcast for cable, for $50/month. I cancelled cable, and have Netflix ($8/month) and Hulu ($7.99/month). Sling Tv, has live-streaming options starting at $20/month. But I've found that I don't even need it - I can watch the news on my computer, and that's really all I would use it for. If you're really into spending time with television and require live options, you're actually getting a great deal with your current Cox package @ $115. Does that include taxes and fees? It's maybe fifteen bucks more a month than piecing everything else together yourself.

a-1539995194 Nov 13, 2017 01:45 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

So is anyone going to answer the question about Verizon internet? I've heard it's not as good but that was a few years back. IS Verizon's internet sufficient for live streaming?

GeneralTree Nov 13, 2017 08:55 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

I had Verizon but the service was taken over by Frontier Communications. Never had an issue.

a-1539995194 Nov 13, 2017 07:56 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Not much info found by searching this site, but it was not recommended in the past. Try "Referrals"? I looked for "internet" under "referrals." No doubt the old Edhat was much more usable.

a-1539995194 Nov 13, 2017 01:35 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Tagdes: Netflix doesn't compare to Hulu which now has Live TV. You should not take up MBs playing back videos. HOWEVER NOW it makes sense why Cox all of a sudden, shortly after Hulu announced its new LIve TV (which is great BTW), is imposing surcharges if you go over 1 TB b/c I bet if you live stream every day you will easily use that up! They have us totally trapped. I have the basic internet, lowest mB plan, and I can live stream Hulu Live no problem - and PS Hulu Live is great , I just started the 1 week free trial, but sadly I now realize that b/t the new 1TB surcharge and the likelihood that my $47 internet basic fee will get jacked if I cancel just cable, it seems like I am truly stuck. Thanks City Council! YOU SUCK.

Always_Running Nov 13, 2017 12:41 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Our new mayor needs to bring Google Fiber to town. These guys are have reliable service and are cheaper then Cox. Let’s get our new mayor to submit our cities unground infrastructure blueprints

LDighera Nov 14, 2017 07:59 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

This certainly sounds interisting:.... https://fiber.google.com/about/ No installation fees, rental fees, or hidden fees of any kind. We don’t throttle your bandwidth or put caps on how much data you can use. No annual contracts means no early termination fees. With Fiber TV, get crystal-clear HD, Hundreds of channels. Fiber Phone. https://fiber.google.com/community/#/

tagdes Nov 13, 2017 12:14 PM
Cutting the Cable Cord

You need to go on Cox's website. There are 4 levels of internet. No one here is saying what they have or want. Levels range from 5MB at $30 to 300 MB for $60 + $15 for 73 channels and goes up to $43-$105 after a year. You have to know what you are comparing.

ednsb Nov 13, 2017 11:55 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

I pay $180 per month for the cox bundle. Those teaser rates are only good for 12 months then they jack your price up and are only available for new customers or when you upgrade to a bundle. I've spent well over $25k with cox but they treat old customers like crap. You can go to the Loyalty group and usually get a discount but they will not tell you that your rate is going up. I'm in Goleta but I sure like the candidate for Santa Barbara who wants to hold Cox accountable. Our rates are some of the highest in the country and their service is the absolute worst since we were put under the Orange County General Manager who doesn’t give a plugged nickel for Santa Barbara and Goleta. As a comparison friends of mine in areas that have real choices so prices are competitive instead of monopolistic pay $50/Month for 1GB/s speeds unlike the 50M/s speeds cox claims we have here. As far as cord cutting question - First of all you really have no real choice other than Cox. Frontier's DSL is at best 5MB/s download if you are within close proximity to their central offices (I believe there are only 3 in our area). Secondly - Cox has established caps on usage for internet at 1 TB per month with very heavy fees for exceeding that $10/MB...If you are watching a lot of Netflix, Hulu, etc or backing up music, videos or images in the cloud you could exceed that quickly. Thirdly - if you can get what you want out of Hulu for tv that's great but a better and more cost effective payment for that type of coverage would be Netflix for which I pay less than $10/month. You should look at a sling box - http://www.slingbox.com/ which will get you something more like what you get with Cox.

Bodyboarder73 Nov 13, 2017 11:22 AM

I pay $115 a month for cable and internet through cox as well

Always926 Nov 13, 2017 11:18 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

I am paying about $80 to Cox just for internet.

420722 Nov 13, 2017 11:09 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

When we cut cable two years ago our internet only bill has consistently been between 80-90 dollars a month. If your grandfathered as mentioned then you get a better deal than us but only cox can answer that for you.

Always926 Nov 13, 2017 10:23 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

Anyone get internet though another provider? I'm considering getting unlimited from Verizon and canceling Cox.

420722 Nov 13, 2017 09:17 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

It cost about 80-90 bucks a month for just internet from cox. Throw in the 40 bucks a month from Hulu and your paying more than you are now. You are getting a great deal at 115 for both internet and cable. Some people I know are paying almost 300 a month to cox! Ouch! Good luck..

a-1539995194 Nov 13, 2017 10:26 AM
Cutting the Cable Cord

I am currently being charged $47/month for internet, so are you saying if you cancel cable portion they double that charge?