Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

Source: UCSB Emergency Notification

This emergency notification is being sent because the University and the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department (SBCPHD) have identified four positive COVID-19 cases in staff members working in the De La Guerra Dining Commons (DLG) on campus. The impacted individuals will be self-isolating.

DLG has been closed and all staff members have been advised to quarantine for 10 days at the instruction of the SBCPHD. Public health officials are leading contract tracing and outreach efforts.

The facility was not involved in food preparation for students.

sacjon Dec 09, 2020 02:51 PM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

I wonder where the four individuals live? On campus? Out of town? It would be great if contact tracing was more public so we could know in advance where to avoid. That's the upside to diminished privacy rights.....you can knock down infectious diseases much quicker, but at a cost. At what point does the benefit outweigh that cost?

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 09, 2020 03:43 PM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

There were 125 cases reported yesterday, when that alert went out. Are you suggesting that knowing where those 4 (out of 125) particular individuals live would give you some significant advantage when deciding to avoid places? Or are you suggesting that we should know where all 125 of those people live? Even if you knew the street names they lived on and chose to avoid those neighborhoods, what's to have stopped them from visiting places you might have visited while they were contagious, pre-test? I just assume these people are everywhere and take my precautions. It's worked fine for me so far, as I've remained negative, and I get tested once a week.

sacjon Dec 09, 2020 04:02 PM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

CSF - All I'm saying is more info would only be helpful. Knowing if there is a business or area where many people are contracting the virus would help others to avoid. I agree, I treat everyone as infected, even family, and as hard as it is, it's just what we have to do to.

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 09, 2020 04:09 PM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

SACJON, have you enrolled your smartphone in California Notify (https://canotify.uchealth.edu/ucsb/)? It's not a hotspot map or anything like that, but it will let you know if you've crossed paths with someone who has tested positive.

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 09, 2020 04:57 PM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

@ 4:28 PM: I do essential research. To keep from being subjected to shutdowns, we are subjected to daily screening surveys and weekly testing. It's just a self-administered swab up the nostrils, the PCR is done in house, and I have my results by the end of the day. I really can't complain, because at least I can continue to work.

PitMix Dec 10, 2020 07:23 AM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

They have a contract tracing app in Nevada, I think, and less than 3% of the people signed up for it. You have to have your location and bluetooth turned on at all times. A lot of people won't wear a mask, you think they would allow the guvmint to track them?

a-1607566931 Dec 09, 2020 06:22 PM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

They say the facility was not involved in food production for students, so what are they doing? Maintenance? It would be a good time to catch up on deferred maintenance, I suppose.

Basicinfo805 Dec 09, 2020 08:06 PM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

Yeah there are currently very very few ucsb employees allowed on campus. Why the heck are there people still working at the dining commons chancellor Yang? Who are they making food for? No one should be making food for anyone else at ucsb at this point. What the hell are they doing there? Ucsb continues to blow it one way or another.

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 09, 2020 08:28 PM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

Basic, unfortunately Chancellor Yang has announced that he intends to allow some students to move into campus-owned housing this coming winter quarter, which begins in less than a month. The staff members were probably making preparations for this.

Luvaduck Dec 10, 2020 07:57 AM
Cluster of COVID-19 Cases at UCSB Dining Commons

The Goleta source for information I'm been following as dropped reporting on contact and unknown, maybe this is why. They only give "community" figures which is less helpful, but perhaps more socially acceptable.