Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

By an edhat reader

I can’t find any info on whether (or when) there are fireworks in Santa Barbara this Sunday night. Thanks for any insight!

Bodyboarder73 Dec 31, 2017 10:37 AM
Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

I remember a new years firework show once on west beach about 15 years ago. It was just a one time thing if I recall

HEH Dec 30, 2017 02:48 PM
Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

We had beautiful fireworks in Santa Barbara for Celebrate 2000 (12/31/1999) and Celebrate Community 2001 (12/31/2000).

HEH Dec 31, 2017 04:21 PM
Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

Sorry Rex. But as "chair" of First Night activities I can assure you the fireworks were on the Santa Barbara beach for 2 years. The sponsors were UCSB, SBNP, SBB&T, 1st American Title and Coldwell Banker. Celebrating events were all over downtown SB including a free afternoon performance by the SB Symphony. Coordinated in part by the Chamber of Commerce and Steve Cushman. Many communities continue to celebrate First Nights. We stopped ours in SB after 9/11.

REX OF SB Dec 31, 2017 08:34 AM
Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

The New Year's First Night celebration on Dec. 31, 1999, did indeed feature a sanctioned fireworks show—but it was at UCSB, and wouldn't have been seen in Santa Barbara. I'm guessing that any fireworks seen locally on that date were impromptu. As Flicka says downthread, local residents often stage their own displays. Here's a link to the story of the 1999 First Night festivities: http://www.news.ucsb.edu/1999/011349/ucsb-takes-part-first-night-gala

Brick Dec 31, 2017 08:00 AM
Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

I remember my wife and I being completely surprised by a spectacular 25 minute fireworks show as we were walking along Cabrillo Boulevard the night of 12/31/99 ... there were First Night events at the Courthouse and at the Cabrillo Gym that night as well !

Brick Dec 31, 2017 08:02 AM
Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

REX OF SB Dec 30, 2017 10:32 AM
Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

Don't laugh, PXN, many years ago during either the Fourth of July or Fiesta (I can't remember which), there actually WERE fireworks launched from the Old Mission. For some reason, Mission Canyon didn't burn down.

Flicka Dec 30, 2017 09:26 AM
Will There Be New Years Eve Fireworks?

Sometimes, in years past, beachfront residents have had big, elaborate 4th of July type fireworks. Places like Padero Lane or Rincon.