Scanner Reports 9-25-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
Knox, Indiana, 1977. I started hitchhiking at a young age as a means of getting around the older kids did it and I thought it was cool though it was very dangerous and sometimes frightening. My life was broken at a young age though sometimes I got weird rides and even had to fight and had taken a life in self-defense, this life felt normal to me though just in case and for insurance I always carried a Saint James version new testament in my right back pocket.
I was heading back to Fort Wayne from visiting my Mom over the weekend. I had thumbed it to route 30 about 20 miles from Hammond it was my favorite road straight into Fort Wayne, 130 miles with a good ride I could make it in under 2 hours. I wasn't standing out there long before a semi pulled over it was an old tanker truck I did not pay a lot of attention to it had I......I would have never accepted the ride. It was an old Peterbilt with an old tank on the back it was very dirty and had oil dripped down the sides it looked as if it might explode any second it looked almost exactly like the truck in the movie "Due.l" I opened the door and climbed up into the cab the driver was in his 30's wore jeans and a black leather jacket, his hair was slicked back he was a total "Greaser," there was a huge hole in the floorboard on the passenger side of the truck though I could not fully fall through it would be possible with a little push. I should have run then if the other warnings were not enough this was.
I braced my feet and settled back he gunned the engine quick and we were off he said he had to make time we were doing about 90mph. I was scared shitless and hanging on for dear life, he was making small talk over the roar of the engine though I had no idea what he was saying. We had gone about 40 miles or so when he started to slow down I could hear him better then he said "I need to make a stop" then he slowed and turned into a dirt driveway that went back a ways the truck rolled back and forth down the old road which went behind this huge old house. I guess it was some kind of Truck Stop, weirdest Truck Stop I ever saw. The backlot was pretty big there were a lot of vehicles behind the old house, we parked way in the back the driver opened the door hopped out and said he'd be back soon. He left me sitting there, I was kinda nervous thinking I should get the hell outta there but pushed away my thoughts of paranoia. I reached back and pulled out my bible holding it in my hand I heard a voice whispering "Get out" and then a loud audible voice, "Get out of there!" I looked around there was no one there. I thought I was hearing things I opened the door jumped down and ran like Hell was chasing me. I was holding on to that New Testament the whole time, I ran into a wooded area behind the parking lot a dozen yards or so then got down behind a fallen tree and laid there quiet.
Suddenly the back door of the house opened a bunch of men along with the trucker came out the door they all had clubs, some had baseball bats, blackjacks, a few had those tire checkers truckers use. I was quiet as a mouse laying flush with the ground watching. The Driver opened the door and said "He's gone!" looking around then I heard another say "That's alright we'll find another we always do!" With that they all turned and walked back to the house and went back in. I laid there a long time scared out of my wits... Was it the Voice of God, or an Angel, that saved my life that day? Maybe it was the voice of Ghost who had been a victim of the killers of hitchhikers perhaps there are unmarked graves in that field I hid in. I waited until many of the vehicles including the truck I had ridden in left then hiked about a half-mile or so through the brush East before I walked back to route 30, where I stuck out my thumb and continued on my way...Here are your Scanner Reports.
Scanner Reports, Monday:
- Highway 101 at Palmer in Santa Maria vehicle accident.
- Female transient disturbing at Starbucks 1235 State street WFA in her 50's black leather jacket, jeans.
- Female disturbing Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf 811 State street.
- A propane leak in the 4100 Block of State street.
- Subject refusing to leave and pay for his food Montecito Deli 1100 Block of CVR.
- Pantless male walking West on Mission through the MISSION UNDERPANTS.
- 415 Transient refusing to leave 7-11 331 West Montecito.
- Woman in parking lot yelling and lifting up her shirt at Wash and Fun on San Andres.
- 415 Subjects at Pershing park, one with a possible head injury fighting or arguing.
- Van one requested for transport of a subject in custody 200 Block of Argon Circle.
- 911 Hang Up 1900 Block of Cliff Drive Mesa Produce.
- Hazardous condition they did not say what it was 1700 Block of Calle Pointe.
- Check the Welfare of a subject living in the 200 Block of West Ortega.
- 911 Hang Up no answer on call back 1200 Block of DLV.
- Wrong Way driver Northbound in the Southbound lanes of Chapala street red sedan.
- Medical aide with police response 2700 Block of State street.
- Medical call possible 23152 Drunk driver 506 Chapala street.
- 415pc Subject a male out of control in Vera Cruz Park 130 East Ortega.
- Check the Welfare of a male down near the Dog Park at McKenzie Park.
- Traffic Accident with injuries 28 West Mission involving 3 vehicles.
- Subject transported to the Sober center, better than jail.
- Smoke investigation outside in the 1500 Block of Gillespie, alarm sounding heard no more.
- Yellow Mustang 23152 Drunk Driver Southbound on Castillo from the 300 Block personal license plate.
- Subject involved in a party smoking H&S and throwing bottles in the street 100 Block of Oceano.
- Gang Types hanging around a yellow truck in the 1200 Block of Cacique.
- 23152 Drunk Driver in a gold Mercedes State street at Mission near miss of pedestrians Southbound on State street.
- WMA green shirt shorts in his 50's spit on reporting party 224 Chapala street 242pc Assault investigation Cottage Hospital.
- Public Nudity near the Gazebo Alice Keck Park Memorial Gardens 1500 Block of Garden street, Male down.
- Burglary to a vehicle 2900 Block of State street.
I took a break to go to Tri-County Produce and fill up my water jugs on my way there I noticed a Cal Fire Hot Shot Truck the firefighters were standing nearby then started walking my way. I figured they parked there and were heading over to East Beach Taco's or the Habit for some much-deserved Grub after fighting the fire at Lopez Lake, but before they could even cross the tracks they got a call down in Ventura County and off they went. Do not pass "Go" no much-deserved food for them they were assigned to another fire, and when a FireFighter is called it doesn't matter if they are off duty they go just like the Police, and Soldiers when they are called they answer. Thank You for your Service Cal Fire.
Scanner Reports, Tuesday:
- Suspicious Circumstances at SBHS 700 E. Anapamu.
- Premises check Skaters Point
- Campers on a patio in the 200 Block of State street
- Check the Welfare of a suicidal female at 7-11, 331 West Montecito who wants to jump in front of a train she was transported to Cottage.
- Juvenile problem 2 brothers refusing to go to school one of them beat up their mother last week in the 100 Block of West Ortega
- Medical call at PATH 816 Cacique out front
- Non injury vehicle accident 89 Highway 246 at Conserve Fuel
- Weirdo 415pc Subject swinging an air pump Southbound on Castillo from Figueroa, male
- Suicidal subject 600 Block of West Valerio
- Suspicious subjects in a 2-Door black Honda Civic with paper plates committed a 484pc Petty Theft, wanted also for 148 Obstruction last seen Westbound on Cabrillo from the Hilton 633 East Cabrillo.
- Check the Welfare of a woman laying in traffic 1000 Block of Miramonte, she was Unconscious Fire Department and Medic's responded Unknown condition or Circumstances.
- Theft of Beer female suspect Harbor Chevron 401 West Montecito
- Med call 227 East Anapamu
- Suspicious vehicle 300 Block of East Anapamu a blue Expedition
- Med Call Garden Court 1116 DLV
- Fire Alarms no fire 740 State street
- Vehicle vs Pedestrian injury accident Micheltorena at Castillo
- 23103 Reckless driver in a Black Jetta driving with no hands Northbound exit at Arrellaga.
- Theft of car keys at Starbucks
- Domestic Violence at McDonalds in the 3900 Block of State street Shirtless male suspect last seen running away toward the back of Big 5 at 5 Points Shopping Center with his victim following him after he physically hit her Dysfunctional Love.
- 415 Patient throwing things and spraying people with a water hose in the 300 Block of West Cota will it is a hot day.
Will that is all outta me for now I need to pound a gallon of water went out and got me a few gallons stay cool and hydrated .Anyway Have a Wonderful WENSday...Peter, Molly, Belinda, Midnight, Merlin, Angel Baby,Pooh Bear, Shadow, FREDDIE!, Maxwell, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tomicina, Tiger, Lola, Popo, Tiny, Andy, Fish Heads, One, and Two,, Poncho, Denny, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Ross, Rambo, Sherry, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Eddie, Bambi, Willie, Mark, Bengie, Ricky, Mavis, Pat, Lafayette, Ted, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy Ed,, Mrs. MacArthur, Isabelle, Jerry, Debbie, Ken, LUCY!, STOBE THE HOBO, KFC, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, John Havlick, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris Willing We will see you on FRYday. Later, Roger
Sep 25, 2019 09:48 AM
roger, What a scary hitchhiking story. Glad you had the good sense to get away. I did some hitchhiking back in the day, all good rides.
Sep 26, 2019 11:40 AM
Wow--like you, I wonder how many burials in that field. SO GLAD you weren't one.