Scanner Reports 10-7-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
When I first moved back to Hammond, I got a job in a night club outside Chicago in the Southern Burbs. It was a few miles over the Illinois border in a little town called Dolton. The night club was a disco. I hated Disco music but I needed a job. I was hired on as a Bar Boy/Security. The position of Bar Boy was like that of a Bus Boy behind the bar. I was underage. I washed glasses and stocked the bar. The Security I did was transporting the liquor from the stock room to the bar, which was not an easy task, especially during the time the business was open. Sometimes I had to get physical to save the Booze. The other things I did involving Security were escorting the cocktail waitresses out to their vehicles, usually after work, and preventing intruders from harassing entertainers. The Disco was called the Nimbus. It was the 3rd largest Disco in the U.S., back in 1977. I usually started work around 8:00 pm. The shift ended at 4:00 am. I did not have a vehicle, so most of the time I was able to hit up fellow employees for a ride home, or partway home.
However one night I couldn't get a ride home and decided to "Thumb it." I walked about a quarter of a mile from the night club to Michigan City Road. It was a dark, 2-lane road about 7 or so miles long, dark as in pitch black, as it went right through the heart of a Forest Preserve. Forest Preserves in Illinois, especially in the Southern Burbs of Chicago, were favorite body dumping grounds for killers. Not many people traveled the road in the wee hours of the morning except Killers and Dumb Ass Hitch Hikers. I kept hoping one of my co-workers would pull up and offer me a ride before I got to Michigan City Road but no one did. I walked 154th and when I got down to Michigan City Road, I looked down that darkened road as if I was looking down the throat of the Devil. Not only was I scared stiff out of my wits because of Michigan City Road, but I was also right outside the entrance of Oakland Memory Lanes Cemetery, which was not far from the corner of 154th street and Michigan City Road at the time. It had it's huge black spiked gates and overgrowth of brush around it. It resembled Black Sabbaths' first album cover. I almost expected a Demon to grab me and pull me screaming into the cemetery, never to be heard from or seen again. To this day, 41 years later, I get chills thinking about that morning. A car was turning from the other side toward me and I stuck out my thumb and it pulled over. It was the first car. It was a new, beige Lincoln Mark 5 with a white vinyl interior. The driver was a white male, about 45 or so. The heater was on. I got in. The man was pleasant and I felt comfortable and we talked. The man told me he was a surgeon, at a hospital in Chicago, and he was just getting off work. I did not think anything of it at the time, though I should have jumped out of the car. I told him I worked at the Nimbus Disco. It was small talk pretty much as we neared the State line. The man made a turn into a smaller road and suddenly turned into a driveway. Then he grabbed a remote pushed it and a garage door was opening up ahead. I said "I'll get out right here" and he hit the Door locks, locking the doors. The garage door was open and there was an old fashioned claw foot bathtub with an IV Stand and a red hot water bottle on the hook. I wasn't going to wait around and see what the FUCK that was about. I turned and punched that S.O.B. right in the face and grabbed his shift stick, squeezing it till he popped the locks. I got that door open and took off like a Jack Rabbit and I never hitched Michigan City Road again!
Scanner Reports Friday:
- Small fire in a house possibly in a wall with a Structure Fire Response in the 200 Block of Vista Grande
- 6500 Block of Trigo ill subject med call at 7-11
- Med call 1200 Block of Quinientos
- 20002 White 4-Runner, Passengers running after a hit and run accident at Chino and Pedregosa possible 23152 Drunk Driver also. 2 different license plates on it
- SBPD Officer on a detail at Manroe School
- On a drinker one South Milpas street
- Med call 1100 Block of East Mason
- 415pc Subject disturbing at Harbor Chevron 401 West Montecito, female
- Fire alarms ringing did not hear anything about a fire 200 Block of West Guiterrez
- Med call Salvation Army on Chapala
- 415pc DLG and State street BMA with a grocery cart.
- 2 Drunks in the Par King Lot...Sounds like a song Hi Time Liquor is Quick Er..4000 Block of Calle Real
- Highway 101 Southbound Medical for a man down end of the Off Ramp Fire Department, Medics, and SBPD responded guy was Drunk
- Medical call with PD response 2800 Block of State street
- 1400 Block La Vista Del Oceano 415 Domestic
- 415 Neighbors 400 Block of East DLG.
- Premises check Dwight Murphy.
- 700 Block of West Cota 6 Subjects beating on one subject they are so brave, poor kid
- BOLO Theft suspects in a white BMW with Nevada Plates from Chevron 115 North La Cumbre.
- North on Garden from Cabrillo 20002 Non injury hit and Run
- Embezzlement investigation at the Police Station
- Med call code blue and Death Rest in Peace at Wells Fargo 101 North Milpas street did not hear the beginning of the call but thinks it was outside.
- Explosion and Fire under the bridge in the creekbed in the 5500 Block of Hollister resulting in death, Rest in Peace.
- Subject chased by an illegal camper from the 400 Block of East Guiterrez, Transient living in a tent.
Scanner Reports, Saturday:
- H&S Violation group of 6 subjects toking drugs on the walkway between Pershing Park and the SBCC WALK WAY.
- Illegal campers in the 300 Block of East Guiterrez.
- Water rescue Coal Oil Point.
- 242 Assault investigation 2700 Block of El Prado Neighbor vs Children
- Injured hiker Hot Springs trailhead ankle injury and dizzy.
- Gun shot Wound from FRYday evening 300 Block of Castillo.
- Missing 56 year old At Risk female from the 700 Block of State street she was found an hour or so later.
- DLG at Chapala streets medical call.
- Fight brewing at Skaters Point over a broken skateboard.
- Subject possibly harassing a sea animal on the beach 6500 Block of Del Playa.
- Code 40, Drunk and code 2 Medic's 400 Block of North Milpas street
- Minor injury traffic accident 999 Coast Village Road roundabout.
- Sting Ray sting a few of those this year by Stearns Wharf near the Dolphin Fountain.
- Med call at the Bus Stop in front of Farmer Boy Restaurant.
- Overdose medical call 2300 Block of State street.
- Fall victim med call 500 Block of East Arrellaga.
- 415 Domestic Metcliff at Mesa Lane
- Foxen Canyon at Union Vehicle Accident.
- Highway 101 Southbound at Los Almos Center Divider Fire. Vehicle lost tire it possibly started the fire which was put out quickly.
- Med call at Grey Hound in the 200 Block of State street.
- Water, Ocean Rescue 6600 Block of Del Playa.
- Vegetation Fire 4500 Block of Tepusquet Road.
- State at Pueblo vehicle accident MTD Bus vs Toyota.
Scanner Reports, Sunday:
- Medical Call 721 Cliff Drive on the Bus bench seizures.
- SBPD Enroute to County Jail with 2 on board.
- 415pc Lobby of Amtrak or as Stobe would say Scam Trak subject refusing to leave the Lobby.
- Premises check Vera Cruz Park.
- Medical call 535 East Yanolli outside in front.
- Med Call Vista Del Monte 3700 Block of Modoc.
- 721 Cliff Drive on the Bus Bench Medical Call.
- 200 Block of West Victoria Med Call
- Injury Traffic Accident Cacique at Milpas.
- Subject caught riding the Amtrak without a ticket in custody Amtrak police on scene, SBPD responding.
- Med call Fish House 101 East Cabrillo.
- 415 Domestic woman left scene 1300 Block of Indio Muerto.
- I heard a police officer say "We will take the nude subject call we will handle it." I did not hear a nude subject call go out but OK.
- 300 Block of West Islay medical call Fall victim Alexander Court facial lacerations with part severed earlobe.
- First Block Calle Palo Colorado med call.
- Unconscious subject Live Oak Campground on the pass.
- Med call 800 Block of Orange Ave
- 415pc Verbal Domestic 400 Block of North Milpas street.
- Hedge Fire 3600 Block of Calle Real Unknown how it started.
- 415 Transient male yelling at passer-bys Yanonali at Garden street.
As I age I ponder a horrible truth about aging How do I get off my Throne? Let me count thy ways.....That is what I need Advice from those who have gone before me those who are older and wiser and know how to successfully get off their thrones. As each day goes by I become afraid....Afraid that I will forget my cell phone when I sit upon my throne. Of Whom will I call if I don't have my cell phone in Hand? Yelling for help in this neighborhood is normal and no one listens...Remember when you were alittle kid and you had a booster seat so you could sit up at the table? I just bought a booster seat so I can sit comfortable on my throne...Oh Well Getting Old Sucks and it hurts too! I got two other friends with walkers having the same problem I'm having I wish the pain would go away though it's getting to be a real pain. Anyway Have a great MONday-MONday...Peter, Molly, Belinda, Midnight, Merlin,Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Shadow, FREDDIE!, Maxwell, Tom Cat, Tomicina, Clancy, Tiger, Lola, PoPo, Tiny, Andy, Fish Heads One and Two, Poncho, Denny, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Ross, Rambo, Sherry, Eddie, Bambi, Mark, Willie, Pat, Mavis, Ricky, Bengie, Lafayette, Ted, Mrs. MacArthur, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy Ed, Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, LUCY!, STOBIE THE HOBO, KFC, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, John Havlick, Little Mac, Tom Petty, and Chris willing we will swee you on WEDnesday. Later, Roger
Oct 07, 2019 09:19 AM
It's amazing, Roger, that you have survived. You have some really scary experiences to tell. Glad you've made it.
Oct 07, 2019 09:22 AM
Yikes! That could have been John Wayne Gacy!
Oct 07, 2019 09:58 AM
Contact the Independent Living Resource Center in this town to find aids for aging in place.
Oct 07, 2019 01:27 PM
John Wayne Gacy was an ugly chubby guy just about every runaway including myself ran into Gacy in Chicago as he was a traveler looking for his prey, I saw him in the basement of the Greyhound Bus Station in downtown Chicago trying to pick up young boys..."Wanna come home with me shoot pool, drink beer, eat I'll give you money." I also got picked up by a guy who to this day I think was him in Des Planes, Ill. his home hunting grounds. I was with a girl but he wanted me to sit next to him.....I9 had a friende in the boys home in Fort Wayne claimed to have gone home with him told me how Gacy killed his victims 2 years before he got caught I told my Uncle all about it he did not believe me...A Des Planes City Councilman dressing up like a clown and killing boys..."Yea right you got one hell of an imagine kid!" He felt like crap when Gacy got caught though and worked the case along with many other cops...The guy that picked me up that night was good looking no Gacy...I was also in a hospital in Des Planes Illinois at the same time Gacy was killing I used to walk along the Des Planes River all the time. John Gacy even got victims in my home town I'm sure he killed many more that 44...
Oct 07, 2019 02:07 PM
This oldster has an Apple Watch. Wear it all day. If you fall down, the watch detects it and calls 911 and/or your key contact. The watch first asks you if you're ok. If you don't answer it calls 911. GPS allows 911 to know where you are. Also, if you are on the throne and have trouble getting off, you can make a call on your Apple Watch. FYI, my watch has pretty much figured out that I'm a nervous wreck; keeps telling me to take deep breaths.
Oct 07, 2019 02:27 PM
LOL That is funny that your watch does that I start singing loud when I feel like I cannot get off the throne holding on to the sing which sounds as if it's going to come out of the wall, scary...
Oct 07, 2019 05:22 PM
Roger, I love your "DumbAss Hitcher" stories. You really should write a book, as I'm sure people would enjoy reading your life story. Good thing you got away from the guy by grabbing his "stick shift." (I'm gonna be laughing about that one for a while.)