Scanner Reports 10-28-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
It was November the 30,1987, I had just sobered up again. I walked down to the Alano Club from my studio for the 8pm speaker meeting. I looked in the meeting for a place to sit and noticed a guy sitting in the corner. He had short hair and glasses so did I, he was wearing blue jeans, leather boots, and a flannel shirt, I was wearing the same. He had a pack of Marlboro red sitting next to his coffee and was smoking one, that was my brand and I was out. I sat down next to him and hit him up for a smoke. He laughed and turned the pack toward me. I got up grabbed a coffee and sat back down smoking no less than 5 of his Marlboro's in an hour then I bought my own pack, we hit it off we went out for coffee after the meeting. He owned a carpet cleaning business, I was a security guard. He did not talk much in the meetings or get personal, I was the opposite and told people about all the trouble I got into drinking including fighting the police about every time I was drunk. I went on and on about that as back then I was still Young and Dumb.
One day after about a month of hanging out John got this real serious look on his face and told me he had to tell me something... the look on his face when he said he had to tell me something was serious and it scared me so every time it came up I changed the subject because I thought I knew what he was going to say and if he said that the friendship would be over because I wasn't that way I liked women. I was still young and good looking back then and every once in a while a guy would ask me out and I'd have to get away, that sort of thing made me real uncomfortable. I knew John was going to tell me he was gay. As soon as he did I was gonna take off like a Bat outta Hell! Will one day we were in his van getting ready to go into the club I went to open the door to get out and he said it again, "I really have to tell you something" then he grabs my arm before I could get out. I turned to look at him and he had tears in his eyes and I thought Oh Shit! here it comes. I was just getting ready to say "I'm sorry John, but I'm straight, I like women" and he says, "I'm a Police Officer." I said "So What?" He said, "Don't you want to hit me?" If I was Drinking maybe whew! I said I thought you were gonna tell me you were gay and in love with me!" He says "No, I'm not gay." We laughed about that for a long time.
He had been a police officer in North County Santa Barbara but his alcoholism got the best of him for a while and he was forced to resign. After being sober a couple years in Santa Barbara he gave up the carpet cleaning business, moved back up North and became a Police Officer again. He got married, had kids with his new wife. After 20 more years on planet Earth he passed away from Cancer. While in Santa Barbara we had some adventures. I worked for him a few months with the carpet cleaning biz and he taught me a lot. One of the things he used to say was if Police Officers enforced laws that were already on the books they would not have to make up new laws. I think about that a lot now with what is going on in Santa Barbara with new laws having to be passed through the City Council, the ACLU shooting everything down and people talking shit calling people names back and forth, I do it too.
Concerning Homeless Issues. Of course, I have my ideas too. Education, I said it before and I will again, if we are to allow people to sleep within our City Limits they need to be educated on the laws, they should also be taught how to prepare food without letting a fire get out of control. Maybe even be given a few things that would help the process, if they are to be homeless there is no choice in the matter, give them a small kit of things that would help everyone involved. A 5-gallon bucket for a commode, a blanket, a small camping stove etc maybe alittle grub a fire extinguisher. I think the Day Centers are a great idea. Reminds me of the Old Old days 40 years ago when an AA Member started Club One on West Canon Perdido in the early 80's same concept really. Homeless people are never going to leave, they really cannot go too far homeless people are poor. Within the Community of Homeless Folks there are crooks and with laws enforced many would be kept in check they could stay or go to where there are more Easy Pickins. Santa Barbara has a huge heart but it's tired of being Easy Pickins. Never shit where you eat, the food don't taste that good. Here are your Scanner Reports.
Scanner Reports, Friday
- Suspicious Subject Male slender 6 feet tall wearing dark clothing at Benita Way and APS.
- Batt:713, Fire Test Call 121 West Carrillo.
- Med call at the Montecito Inn 1200 Block of CVR.
- Med call PATH 816 Cacique.
- Smoldering brush under a tree at McKinley School 350 Loma Alta.
- Pedestrian Shake subject with warrants 200 Block of Oceano.
- Chemical Spill not Hazmat highway 101 Southbound at Las Positas offramp.
- Fire Alarms Ringing, no fire SBCC 721 Cliff Drive.
- Razor Scooter Rider Down 1000 Block of Cliff Drive.
- Low-speed pursuit with driver at Gun Point Fuel Depot 115 South La Cumbre, CHP Stop off freeway.
- 2000 Block of Santa Barbara street med call.
- Premises check Shoreline Park.
- Man down between 2 vehicles Laguna at DLG.
- Santa Barbara at East Arrellaga male sitting in a red Jeep with a broken window looking agitated says he put his head through the window.
- Premises check in the 2700 Block of DLV.
- Premises check Francheski Park.
- Possible drug sales from a black Charger in the parking lot 4020 Calle Real.
- 23152 Possible drunk driver turned from Cabrillo street onto a sidewalk white male shaved head in a white Honda Civic Cabrillo at Castillo.
- Medical Emergency 400 Block of West Mission patient told Firefighter that someone lit his hair on fire earlier in the day and his hair was burned, Requesting SBPD for criminal investigation.
- Harbor Blvd. At Arvis Park Ventura Vegetation Fire.
Scanner Reports, Saturday:
- Medical call with PD response back of the carwash 112 West Canon Perdido overdose.
- Vehicle Accident Highway 246 at Medowlark.
- Audible 459 Alarm restaurant in the 300 Block of State street.
- Man found behind Dargans assaulted, beat up 18 East Ortega.
- 415pc Fight Rescue Mission subject injured.
- On a Pedestrian Milpas street at Cacique street.
- Subject who called 911 for a medical issue at Vera Cruz Park Uncooperative with Medic's.
- Medical call Garden Court.
- 242 Assault male hit a female at PATH 816 Cacique.
- Subject with a white truck yelling 2100 Block of Laguna.
- 415pc Subject cutting down tree branches APS and Los Olivos.
- Vandalism Investigation 1800 Block of Castillo.
- Injury Traffic Accident Harris Grade at Burton Mesa.
- Traffic Accident Highway 154 at San Antonio Creek Road.
- First Block of South La Cumbre Road Medical Call.
- Code 40, refusing to leave Motel 6 3505 State street.
- Trespassing in a laundry room 104 Los Aquaries.
- Harbor Patrol on a code 40, Drunk in the Harbor West 90 Minute Lot.
- SBPD Transporting a drunk female too the Sober Center.
- SBPD on a code 40, Drunk at Crown Liquor.
- Medical call 600 Block of State street.
- Fire in the bushes Highway 101 Southbound at Fairview.
- Check the Welfare of 2 Subjects in the bushes between Rustys and 7-11 In the 400 Block of North Milpas street.
- Premises check McKenzie Park.
- Transient with a history of stealing from Subway hanging out in Subway in the 3900 Block of State street.
- 20002 Non injury hit and run in the 300 Block of West Mission.
- 415pc Subject at Skaters Point.
- Premises check Plaza Del Mar.
- 245pc Assault with Scissors in the 200 Block of West Sola male assaulted female.
- Med call for a skateboarding injury in Alameda Park.
- Code 40, Drunk male in the 300 Block of West Carrillo.
- Suspicious subject male behind a business in the 3000 Block of DLV.
- Medical call Sand Paper Lodge 3525 State street.
Scanner Reports, Sunday:
- Premises check Douglas Family Preserve.
- Wrong Way Driver 900 Block of DLV Pulled over 200 Block of West Canon Perdido.
- Suicidal subject PATH 816 Cacique street.
- Vehicle code violation 500 Block of Wentworth.
- 415pc Over an Unleashed Dog in La Mesa Park.
- SBPD on a group at Vera Cruz Park.
- SBPD attempting to contact 2 Subjects on the Tracks over Carrillo Street.
- 415pc Female Transient West on the Bike Path from Led Better yelling at passerbys.
- 1300 Block of Shoreline found property 2 Cell phones.
- Med call 2200 Block of Anacapa street.
- 23152 Drunk Driver in a Camry West Bound on Cabrillo from Los Patos swerving.
- Vehicle Rollover Highway 101 Southbound near Los Positas, minor injury. Med call First Block of South Salinas.
- Theft of coffee and possibly a wallet from a subject at Cantwells in the 1500 Block of State street.
- Premises check Nookie Rock Park.
- Gang Graffiti discovered on the walking Bridge, Anapamu.
- Suspicious Circumstances at the University Club in the 1300 Block of Santa Barbara street possible tampered door.
- Suspicious circumstances at Fresco also a tampered door in the 3900 Block of State street.
- Vehicle vs Bicyclist Highway 101 Southbound Garden street Onramp.
- 211pc Robbery happened at 5 Points in the 3900 Block of State street victim was a person, not a business report taken elsewhere.
- Overdose 100 Block of South Broadway in Santa Maria.
- Medical Walkin Fire Station 41. 41 Newsome New Cayama AMR meet Cal Star at the Airport.
What a Day trying to move around to write Horrible pain I took a muscle relaxer for the first time in a long time today got about 20 minutes of relief now it hurts again wearing my back brace. I guess I was bound to get old sooner or later and get constant pain it is what it is. Al least it's cooling off a bit alittle more comfortable and easier to fall asleep. Anyway Have a Great MONday-MONday...Peter, Molly, Belinda, Midnight, Merlin, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tomicina, Tiger, Shadow, FREDDIE!, Maxwell, Lola, PoPo, Tiny, Andy, Fish Heads One and Two, Poncho, Denny, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Rambo, Sherry, Diana, Jim, Ross,Mrs. MacArthur.- Marty, Cop John, David Cox, Po, Eddie, Bambi, Lafayette, Ted, Willie, Mark, Pat, Mavis, Bengie, Ricky, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy Ed, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Isabelle, Jerry, Debbie, Ken, LUCY! STOBE THE HOBO, KFC, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, John Havlick, Little Mac, Tom Petty, and Chris Willing we will pee you on WEDnesday. Later, Roger
Oct 28, 2019 11:58 AM
Interesting, Roger, about your policeman friend. Glad he got back in the groove, got married, and had a family. Good you are still thinking of him. There is an African saying, "A person isn't really dead until the last person on earth has stopped thinking about him (her)."
Oct 29, 2019 08:45 AM
A local day center of welcome + support managed by the good folks at St Vincent's is located at 4020 Calle Real Ste 2, around the corner from McDonald's. More information can be found at their website www.frvirgilcordanocenter.org.
Oct 29, 2019 09:59 AM
No wonder I keep seeing them walking around rhey are not dead.