Repair Service for iPod Classics?

By an edhat reader

Can any Edhat readers recommend someone who can repair and service iPod Classics?
(I think that mine just need new batteries right now, but I would like to find someone reliable and reasonable for general iPod Classic repair.)
Thank you!

Harbor_Seal Nov 12, 2021 10:12 AM
Repair Service for iPod Classics?

Last year after I dropped my iPhone in the ocean I went around town and talked to several shops, I chose iProtech in the Paseo Nuevo mall… an initially counterintuitive choice.

Not only did the fix my phone by replacing some microchips and the screen, it’s worked well for over a year!

A classic iPod needing a new battery can be done by many competent high schoolers these days, so it might not mater where you take it… Apple will ask for an arm and a leg and likely won’t keep your data.

Gregoreo Nov 12, 2021 07:18 PM
Repair Service for iPod Classics?

Check out ebay for cheap parts and google for how to do it, it should be easy. That’s how I got my phone batteries replaced. It’s a bit more difficult for the newer devices with the waterproofing. And Apple on some of the last devices puts wayyy too much adhesive on the batteries you need to use a heat gun to soften it (aka hair dryer), but ipods should be easy. Make an afternoon out of it!

Thomas John Nov 13, 2021 07:02 AM
Repair Service for iPod Classics?

The battery is only 14 bucks. But it doesn't look super easy as a DIY. But as the Harbor Seal said - a clever HS kid could knock this off. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+Classic+Battery+Replacement/561

Snoodely Nov 13, 2021 08:00 AM
Repair Service for iPod Classics?

Thank you, Thomas John, for that good link! It looks like the hardest part is getting the case open. It is worth a try — Thanx again!

bicyclist Nov 13, 2021 08:50 AM
Repair Service for iPod Classics?

Nice link TJ, gotta appreciate the effort of those that post such informational "Tutorials". I've had a similar experience attempting to "Replace a keyboard in a Lenovo laptop " that was according to the Lenovo site a non-replaceable/serviceable part... The client had already procured the keyboard (was actually the wrong one as he had got a "English UK keyboard" that only took 3 weeks to arrive), so using five(5) different web sites I was able to "see" what was necessary to 1) actually remove the old one, some 35 steps... 2) with some assumptions put it back together... The removal of the non-replaceable keyboard required "Trimming off some 18 plastic rivets", (so putting it back in was sketchy to put it mildly) those rivets held not only the keyboard but the case attachment hardware (so the one pic showed a huge glass of wine & hot glue - I used both hot glue & super glue, NO wine). In the end there was lots of little black plastic pieces left over, but the glues held, customer was happy as I had provided him the correct link for the "English US" keyboard that was needed & it works. He doesn't have a clue to the "Actual amount of time" it took to glue & research. I don't charge an "hourly fee", & usually leave it up to the customer to "Reimburse" as they deem necessary (so I pretty much always come up short?), just wanting to make people happy! The link that was provided here is one of the better examples of a repair help site (Love the last comment there about it costing $360 for Apple to do it for ya & that was back in 2016) .

bicyclist Nov 13, 2021 10:55 AM
Repair Service for iPod Classics?

Snoodly - sorry I don't do "Apple"... ie. see step 21: "Now to repair the damage caused by liberating..." of 24 "Be careful not to overheat the battery."

sorry for the delayed response, was watching M vs Penn State?