By edhat staff

A total of 56 new COVID-19 positive cases were added to Santa Barbara County's total on Wednesday.

Of the 56 new cases, 27 were located in Santa Maria, 20 in Santa Barbara, 3 in Goleta, 2 in the Montecito/Summerland/Carpinteria area, 1 in Gaviota, 1 in Orcutt, 1 in the Lompoc Prison, and 1 is pending.

This brings the grand total to 2,171 cases, however, only 267 of these cases are currently active.

Of the 2,171 total, 988 belong to the outbreak at the federal prison in Lompoc and 1,183 are located within the community.

Currently, 204 people are quarantined at home, 57 are hospitalized with 15 in the ICU, and 74 are pending information. There have been 22 deaths overall.

More information can be found here.

a-1594328753 Jun 18, 2020 12:31 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

The LA Times ran an article about us yesterday :https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-06-17/santa-barbara-state-street-promenade ------ Looks bad down there. I haven't gone to State st. yet and was excited to take the family to check it out soon, but not now. Hardly ANYONE wearing masks or distancing. This type of carelessness and ignorance will lead to us having to shut down again. Is no one else watching the news about the spikes in #s now? Good job everyone, you ruined it for the rest of us!

PitMix Jun 18, 2020 02:53 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

If the person not wearing the mask is not coughing or sneezing, really what is the dispersal zone for the relatively small chance they are infected? I haven't been around anyone who appeared to be sick when I have been out in public. Infections seem to come from close prolonged contact with an infected person, like those 16 coeds in Florida at the bar. I wear a mask, and I wouldn't eat downtown, but I would walk down State Street.

LCP112233 Jun 18, 2020 11:00 AM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

I have been in places where all the younger crowd is hanging out like nothing is going on. No masks, several per table at several different tables. Hugging, carrying on and not a mask in sight. I don't think the youngsters realize the gravity of the situation.

Bene Jun 19, 2020 06:02 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

Yes, and I wonder if crow will also be on the menu for those who preach "herd immunity" as the best way to deal with the virus. Now new studies are showing that antibodies are, in essence, "good for about three months." There have been troubling cases of reinfection in China. In light of this, can't really say anymore that it's fine for everyone to catch this so we can get herd immunity. That was just justifying taking no precautions and spreading this around. New Zealand had success by getting people to cooperate with mitigation measures. Why can't we?

PitMix Jun 18, 2020 02:50 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

Chance of a bad illness for them is pretty small right? Maybe 1 in 1,000? What kid is going to care about those odds? As long as they stay away from their grandparents.

sacjon Jun 18, 2020 01:22 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

PUG - I agree. This thing is far from over, yet so many are acting like it's OK to carry on as normal. I hope all those protesters calling Covid a hoax or overblown are eating a healthy bowl of crow right now!

dw2000 Jun 18, 2020 12:24 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

Too add... on the one hand I was in a CVS and saw a teenage girl without a mask on with her friend who had a mask on. On the other, I was at a Vons where most everyone was wearing a mask but in one isle was this guy.... probably late 60's early 70's, obese walking around without a care. I thought to myself, "wow... high risk individual giving no ***** "

dw2000 Jun 18, 2020 12:19 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

I agree with you LCP, though it doesn't help that they have been getting mixed messages from the adults in their lives. A large portion of the country was/is for strict measures and another called it a hoax.

PitMix Jun 18, 2020 10:34 AM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

57 hospitalized, 25% of those in ICU. Those are the numbers to watch. Our ability to return to normal activities is related to how are critical care facilities are doing.

a-1594328753 Jun 18, 2020 11:37 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

Pit, death rate matters too. There are those infected who don't make it to critical -- or non-critical care facilities. Just standing up for reality along with the policies and mandates re: Covid-19.

a-1594328753 Jun 18, 2020 01:17 PM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

You must also be looking at all the photos of people walking freely up and down state street and sitting at tables with no masks on.

letmego Jun 18, 2020 10:28 AM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

Interesting data points for Santa Barbara. I hadn't thought about the racial disparity (didn't know it). So, it could be the demonstrations, but very likely could also be graduations. Graduation from elementary/ middle/ high school was 2 weeks ago (June 3 for the most part), and there were plenty of parties (even if no "graduations". Even people not having parties were letting their teens and tweens hang out with their friends for photo ops.

dw2000 Jun 18, 2020 09:42 AM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

Looking at photos of the event it appears most if not all of them are wearing masks. Makes me wonder if the children and family of people who have had to work are getting infected.

mtndriver Jun 18, 2020 09:00 AM
Public Health Adds 56 New COVID-19 Cases

Of the 20 in Santa Barbara, 19 were Latinx. What's that about? Makes me wonder if there was one event where a lot of people were exposed at one time.