Protecting Pets From Fireworks

By an edhat reader

Where can I take a scared dog over the 4th of July to avoid hearing fireworks? Does anyone know anywhere in So Cal that bans fireworks and does NOT have a town display over the 4th?

I have heard there are such thing as silent fireworks that have all the sparkle but no loud bang. We all need to consider veterans with PTSD and all of our furry pet friends who don't understand what's going on during this 4th of July!! We need to petition that our community use SILENT fireworks out of respect for all!

ZeroHawk Jun 22, 2018 09:30 AM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

mexico? pretty sure they aren't lighting off fireworks and having a good time on July 4th

Flicka Jun 22, 2018 08:48 AM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

We had a dog (Australian shepherd) that turned to jelly on the 4th. The vet gave us doggie tranquilizers and solved it. In old age the dog lost his hearing, no problems then.

REX OF SB Jun 21, 2018 04:46 PM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

Have you heard about the ThunderShirt?® It's a snug-fitting pressure shirt that you put on your dog during times of loud noises and/or stress, and it pretty much really does calm them down. My neighbor's Weimaraner is actually able to get through the July 4 firework festivities without trouble any more. Check it out at Petco, PetSmart or other pet supply store. FWIW, I've noticed that dogs who go nuts over loud noises very often have owners who do likewise. When we got our rescue Husky, Isis, at the Buellton Animal Shelter, it was noted on her profile that she was frightened of gunshots and loud noises, yet her first Fourth of July with us was completely unremarkable in that regard, perhaps because nobody in our house was bothered by noise. Good luck!

Channelfog Jun 22, 2018 01:32 PM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

Thunder shirt or equivalent is worth a try. We use a childs' t shirt on Chen, our 60 lb rescue dog. here in South America we have frequent, crazy, thunder and lightning storms and the t shirt really helps. At least these storms bring rain!

sbsweetpea Jun 21, 2018 07:03 PM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

I have ThunderShirt for her and it makes no difference. Actually she really hates it BUT I have seen it work on bigger dogs. I still wrap her up in it anyway. She is a high strung terrier.

sbsweetpea Jun 21, 2018 03:54 PM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

Thanks for the Carp. hint. I have a dog who goes absolutely insane with fireworks, gunshots, big winds. She shakes uncontrollably , runs in circles, jumps, shreds curtains, bounces off the wall etc. It is heart breaking to watch, I have tried holding, her crating her, putting her in the bathroom, loud TV, Music etc. Nothing has worked so far. I even get doggy Xanex but it does not have much effect. Don't let your dog get out. I dread the 4th and New Years. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Good luck to the poster.

oceandrew Jun 21, 2018 02:00 PM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

I gotta say that in Noleta (Tucker's Grove area) I don't hear fireworks. Maybe if I had a dog's hearing I might hear something but I'm far enough away from the professional displays to keep it rather quiet. Granted a change in the wind would make sound carry further and better but a nice off shore flow is well appreciated. The amateur stuff??? Thankfully there isn't enough of that to get even a pooch's frillies in a twist.

PitMix Jun 21, 2018 01:15 PM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

I find that keeping the doors and windows closed with the AC going if necessary and the radio on loud works pretty well to minimize the random bangs in the neighborhood during the day. Then turn the radio up during the main fireworks show at 9 pm.

Mesagal Jun 21, 2018 12:58 PM
Protecting Pets From Fireworks

Carpinteria! Lovely Carp is quiet on the Fourth - we spent the night there last year and are doing it again this year. Our dog is terrified of fireworks - it is worth the expense of a hotel room to us. The Holiday Inn Express is dog friendly. Be advised that many of the restaurants ( and Island Brewing) close early on the Fourth of July so need to plan ahead.