By an edhat reader

There's a rumor that the Saks 5th Ave building on State Street has a new tenant and it might be Amazon. Does anyone have more information?

REX OF SB Oct 10, 2018 08:21 AM
New Tenant In Saks Building

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/saks_fifth_avenue_building_leases_amazon_is_likely_tenant .................... I don't know what happened to the formatting when I posted this a minute ago.

REX OF SB Oct 10, 2018 08:19 AM
New Tenant In Saks Building

Noozhawk had an article about this on Oct. 1. Here's the link: https://www.noozhawk.com/article/saks_fifth_avenue_building_leases_amazon_is_likely_tenant

SBWalkers Oct 10, 2018 07:40 AM
New Tenant In Saks Building

IMHO, Saks doesn't make sense for a drop/pickup location. For a 'warehouse', State Street is extremely expensive. For the owners, there should be cheaper with better parking and just as convenient for the customers. If it is the selling product, which Amazon is 'YUGE', Macy's would make better sense.

a-1539156174 Oct 10, 2018 12:22 AM
New Tenant In Saks Building

SHOREBIRD: I had occasion to go to the Amazon Store in I.V. because I wanted to drop off a return instead of having to pay the $5.99 S&H. I drove out to I.V. and really enjoyed it when I asked three people, at different points in time, "Hi. Where's Trigo Road?" Not one of them knew, even though Trigo is kind of a major arterty in I.V. With my trusty "I think I know which way to go" built-in radar, I soon found Trigo and instantly found a nice place to park. Only had to walk about 1/2 a block, no problem. I let my little dog run around on the grassy field there. Amazon guys were pleasant and I even "scored" some strips of air pillows, grabbing them out of the recycling container on my way out of the store. It would be kinda nice to have a drop-off place in downtown Santa Barbara, but parking near Saks is sometimes a real challenge. I predict Ralph's Fresh Fare will have a security guy patroling the underground parking at Ralph's if an Amazon Store replaces Saks.

Always_Running Oct 09, 2018 06:14 PM
New Tenant In Saks Building

High probability downstairs will be a retail store called “4-star” & a pick up center. Upstairs will be software development. If you look at Amazons job board they have a dozen plus new jobs, for upstairs with the merged team from Carpinteria.

shorebird Oct 09, 2018 05:51 PM
New Tenant In Saks Building

Maybe it will be like the Amazon place in IV. A location where you can pick up your packages instead of risking them being stolen from your front steps.
There simply cannot be a worse parking situation than the IV location. Took me longer to find a parking place that it did to return my package.

EastBeach Oct 09, 2018 10:31 PM
New Tenant In Saks Building

Forgot to say, I don't have a Prime account. But when I have items shipped to the IV locker, free shipments arrive much quicker than delivery home. We sometimes get free deliveries to the locker arriving in one day! Co-workers and friends have experienced the same thing. Not sure how Amazon pulls it off - I know they have a regional ship center in Las Vegas.

EastBeach Oct 09, 2018 10:25 PM
New Tenant In Saks Building

@SHOREBIRD - I really like the Amazon locker in IV because my packages delivered there are always in significantly better shape than when delivered to my home (and I work in Goleta). Something to consider for expensive/fragile items. When school is in session, the trick to is to go in the morning before 11:00 am and park in the large green zone in front of SOS Liquor. Its just a few paces from Amazon Locker. The other nice thing is the locker often has lots of free samples in the lobby (e.g. canned/bottled drinks, food items, toiletries, etc.). They were giving away free lattes last week.

a-1539126263 Oct 09, 2018 04:04 PM
New Tenant In Saks Building

This article from Yahoo Finance doesn't even list SB as being in the running.

And a friend said he'd heard the same rumor about Amazon, but it involved the downtown Macy's space, so it seems the rumors are running rampant.

a-1539125078 Oct 09, 2018 03:44 PM
New Tenant In Saks Building

Hope it's not offices. Where will they park? The lot behind the store is where I park when I go to eat at Lilac Patisserie, and it's already a busy lot.

a-1539114238 Oct 09, 2018 12:43 PM
New Tenant In Saks Building

How about a Target "Seriously Junior" store?

They already have the "Junior" verson sans parking slated for upper State & the "Daddy" branch at the old K-Mart in Goleta.