Mail Theft Increase in Santa Barbara
Source: Santa Barbara Police Department
The Santa Barbara Police Department would like to remind and inform its citizens of an increase in mail theft within our City as well as in various counties in the state. Offenders are targeting mailboxes to obtain personal information, personal and business checks, and various other details that can be utilized to their advantage. This release is only to make the public aware and to suggest prevention options. A list of suggestions to deter these crimes are as follows:
- A mailbox that can be secured with a key or other locking device.
- Deposit outgoing mail directly to the post office attendant or other secured depository.
- Request to pick up checks at your banking establishment rather than receiving them in the mail.
- Place a vacation hold on all mail when leaving for an extended period of time from your residence.
- When your schedule allows, do not leave your mail overnight in your mailbox.
If you are a victim of mail theft and/or concerned about possible identity theft, please see the below suggestions:
- Visit https://www.identitytheft.gov/ to report and recover from identify theft. This website is managed by the Federal Trade Commission and can provide a recovery plan and answer frequently asked questions.
- Contact the major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) to freeze your credit to prevent suspects from opening accounts with your personal identifying information.
- Consider enrollment in identity theft protection services.