Las Positas Vehicle Fire Due to Lithium Batteries

By Geo Duarte

3:34 PM on Saturday (7/15/2023) – Reports of a vehicle fire near Las Positas and Cliff Drive

Bystanders walking by the intersection of Alan Rd. & Wade Crt. noticed smoke in the cabin of a white Nissan Sentra. Luckily the owner did not lock the vehicle and the bystanders were able to open the doors. They found a rechargeable battery pack on fire in the rear left seat of the car and were able to remove it. The lithium batteries continued to burn on the ground next to the vehicle.

A fire engine soon arrived and put the device in a bucket of water. The back seat had a very light burn mark and a very strong smell of smoke.

The owner of the vehicle felt very lucky that someone intervened and the fire did not further develop.

The moral of the story is to not leave any device with lithium batteries in direct sunlight. The temperature of vehicles left in the sun today reached around 105 degrees Fahrenheit.

Photo by Geo Duarte

Geo Duarte

Written by Geo Duarte

Geo Duarte is a volunteer scanner reporter for More reports can be viewed on Geo's Instagram page @Xtek_Overload

What do you think?


0 Comments deleted by Administrator

Leave a Review or Comment


Traffic Collision West of Lompoc

Cat of the Week: Aang