By an edhat subscriber

I've become very concerned as the tap water in my apartment in downtown Santa Barbara has changed dramatically in the past two days. It has taken on a bitter taste and leaves a chemical aftertaste with a bit of a sting in my mouth. Even when I filter the water through my filtration system the chemical sting remains.

Are any other residents experiencing this? Does this have anything to do with the new desal plant? I'm afraid I will have to switch over to bottled water if this is the new norm.

hammerbaba Jun 15, 2017 08:31 AM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

Since the start of the desal water plant started to supply us with water when we wash our clothes in cold water they have a very bad smell to them, but washing with hot water like with the white clothes there is no smell we thought it was the washer so we had the Sears come out and found no issues and we cannot use the water to make coffee taste so... terrible.

a-1496933985 Jun 08, 2017 07:59 AM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

We should all remember why we have desal water in the first place. The local governments gave the go ahead for developers to build more housing than our local water supply could support. Drink up and think about your city councils and Board of Supervisors as you enjoy your new 'tasty' water.

ljameslandscape... Jun 08, 2017 04:59 AM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

Guess it's time for the taste test…same ol' crappy tappy over here on East Valerio

mattyboy Jun 07, 2017 08:03 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

Yes, downtown on olive @ de la guerra I've noticed a change in the last week. Soap that previously rinsed off very quickly is also currently more slimy and takes longer to rinse.

woodruff Jun 08, 2017 11:48 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

That may mean that your water is actually becoming slightly softer due to treatment at the plant, for softer water does have a slippery sensation on the skin. Interestingly, men often find this disagreeable.

oops Jun 07, 2017 07:05 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

the water never tasted good and likely never will. I bet a blind test would be very funny & interesting on the power of suggestion/perception

a-1496882779 Jun 07, 2017 05:46 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

When you buy bottled water, think of the communities where the water comes from. For the most part, those locales don't love having their water sucked up and sold for profit. Very few good jobs are available in those (mostly automated) water bottling plants. The bottle-making process pollutes the wastewater. Try to filter your own water if you can.

REX OF SB Jun 07, 2017 05:20 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

The "new" water is terrible tasting! It is metallic and bitter. I noticed it this morning before I even read this article. The City has REALLLLLY done it this time. I'm buying a case of bottled water when I go to Ralphs tonight.

a-1496876065 Jun 07, 2017 03:54 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

Well. On the Lower Riviera the tap water actually tastes a bit better than I remember it. I just tried it; drank 1/2 cup and it tastes almost as good as my Brita water.

That said, my tenant took me into his apartment the other day to show me that the water from the cold water tap in his bathroom has a cloudy look to it. Anyone want to chime in on the reasons behind that? The faucets are only about a year old. All other water looked clear.

Okay . . . no kidding----my tongue feels kind of strange. The tap water I just drank? Not metallic or sharp, but fuzzy tongue, sort of dry. Weird. (And I am not the "suggestible" type.)

a-1496871932 Jun 07, 2017 02:45 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

I live in a desal heavy zone. It may just be in my head, but I thought I was getting a chlorine odor recently . I know that desal, (just like normal water) is adding chlorine.

Personally, I'm excited about getting desal water due to the softness. It is preventing me from buying a water softener.

a-1496865864 Jun 07, 2017 01:04 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

Desal water generally tastes fine - certainly better than our standard tap water as it has almost no dissolved minerals.

Gcamp Jun 07, 2017 01:25 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

Now I'm curious to see what it tastes like. think the city will set up a water tasting for the public?

Gcamp Jun 07, 2017 12:25 PM
Downtown Tap Water Changes?

Yes the water has tasted weird for a long time now. I haven't noticed it getting specifically worse but maybe I'm just used to it now.

Perhaps try to get a better water filtration system before going to bottled water.