By an edhat reader

Over the last couple of years the Cox provided email service has deteriorated. My household has experienced many problems that a Google search has reviled are also being experienced by Cox customers across the nation. Cox support personnel are able to solve problems associated with incorrect setup parameters on customer devices but many other issues go unresolved and the Cox representatives basically put the blame on the customer.

Now Cox has posted a notice at https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-email-creation-policy.html which says “In recent years, fewer customers have taken advantage of a Cox Email account, so we decided to modify our email service to better serve our customers. As of August 15, 2019, Cox no longer offers the ability for new and existing Cox Internet customers to create new Cox Email accounts...” This notice was not sent to customers or posted on the monthly bill. However, we receive a couple of mailings a month from Cox attempting to get us to sign up for additional “services.”

If people are not using the Cox email server it is likely because it is so unreliable. I have had a couple companies ask for another email address when I supplied my Cox address. They explained that they were having too much trouble communicating with customers via Cox email. Bank of America recently posted an alert on my online banking home page which said “Your primary email address ********@cox.net is undeliverable.”

Now, the Cox solution for their inept management of their email servers is to start eliminating the email service. The corporate speak “...so we decided to modify our email service to better serve our customers...” is really shameful. Email is a basic service of any Internet Service Provider (ISP) and it’s not rocket science. The poor email service continues and I think it is likely that this is a first step toward total elimination of the email service.

This is another example of what happens when a utility is granted an exclusive contract and left to do as they please. Is this an example that can be used to rein Cox in?

a-1566844107 Aug 26, 2019 11:28 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

When I had issues receiving the daily Edhat email, they told me they were having a lot of issues with Cox emails going through. With that and other reasons I quickly switched to Gmail.

Thomas John Aug 26, 2019 11:49 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

Yeah, I see this as cutting a no value service that very few people used anyway. If it allows Cox to just focus 0.00000000001% more on their service I'll be happy.

Yeti Aug 26, 2019 12:30 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

They ARE the worst that I have seen. Their SPAM filter has been completely inoperable for years, even for the most obvious of malicious e-mails. We unfortunately still need to use their cable internet service since they have a near monopoly for high speed internet, but we killed our e-mail due to the above.
They have very nice local people for service and installations, but the rest of the company stinks.

a-1566848943 Aug 26, 2019 12:49 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

Somewhere a Cox manager is saying "Hey Boss, I figured out a way to increase profits." It's easy to bet that there will not be an improvement of any other Cox services or slowdown of the continued subscription cost increases.

Hey Cox. Do your job! Fix your problems!
Save money by taking me off your snail mail list.
I'm never going to pay you to automate my house.

d8vanilla Aug 26, 2019 12:44 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

I don't have Cox, but my neighbor does, and when he called a worker to come out for some problem, I watched from my upstairs window, the worker toss 2 old padlocks over our fence, when all he had to do is walk 2 feet to the trash can !!! Well, I didn't say anything to him, but after he left I went over and retrieved those padlocks, put them in an envelope with a note about the incident, and took it over to their office..... Hope management issued a notice to all their workers, NOT to do that.

ZeroHawk Aug 26, 2019 01:53 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

yahoo...gmail works fine, not sure why you don't like it. just disable google hangouts app on your phone, that will cover the security issues.

monkeyboy Aug 26, 2019 04:13 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

That's a bit disingenuous. I use gmail, but have resigned myself to the fact that they scan every email you send and receive to add the information to the advertising profile they have built about you. There is even a new scam that takes advantage of this scanning, a calendar event is added to the scam email and gmail happily adds it to your google calendar, even from the spam folder.

a-1566850246 Aug 26, 2019 01:10 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

We tried to move our router to another location in the house and it didn't quite work. Tried another location, plugged everything in and again it did not work. So, we called Cox and they stated it's a $60 charge to move the box within your service address!! Has anyone else experienced this? I am quite appalled by these Cox Clowns. If you've experienced something similar can you let us know?

a-1566890656 Aug 27, 2019 12:24 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

When Cox tells you something like that then you ask to speak with "the loyalty department." Once connected to the loyalty department rep, you make your case calmly and politely. You state how long you have been using Cox Comm for your internet, TV, whatever. (They already have that info, but you remind them anyway.) Nicely ask that such a charge not be made for moving your box. In all probability the box will then be moved at no charge. It doesn't hurt to ask.

a-1566859559 Aug 26, 2019 03:45 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

My Cox email is one of the only services that does work consistently. Cable and Internet always having issues.

yacht rocked Aug 26, 2019 04:43 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

I was emailing a small business that has a cox.net address from my gmail account and gmail warned me that cox.net doesn't support encrypted (in transit) email.

EastBeach Aug 27, 2019 11:45 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

Yacht - The small business you emailed very likely doesn't have TLS (Transport Layer Security) enabled on their end. It's something they have to enable using their email client if they're using POP/SMTP. Easy to overlook. Do them a favor and let them know.

EastBeach Aug 27, 2019 11:52 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

Yacht - And tell the small business they need to setup their email client not only to enable TLS ... they also need to set their incoming POP3 server port to 995 (not port 110 which is not encrypted). They can Google this info easily.

a-1566884704 Aug 26, 2019 10:45 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

We don’t have Cox, but have had intermittent problems for years sending emails to friends who do have it. We use Yahoo and rarely have issues with it.

EastBeach Aug 26, 2019 11:00 PM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

A good reason to use Cox email is because they have a POP server. So if you're using Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. you can be sure your sensitive email won't be stored in the cloud with its inherent dangers. I *expect* that Cox is still using TLS for secure transfer when using POP3/SMTP. I also use Yahoo for less important email (they scan your email to mine for data, it's in the user agreement). That said, it should be really simple for Cox to setup an IMAP server! Medium and large sized corporations do this all the time.

a-1566914713 Aug 27, 2019 07:05 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

What email service do you advise I use? I’m tech inept. I do not want to insecure, or data mined. I heard google is the worst, yahoo bad. I fear China, Russia, and neighbor’s hacking into my account. I’ve neber made a purchase on line. I go to the bank rather than have accounts hacked or lose data. A paid pro advised me to get an account with a foreign Nordic based server for privacy protection telling me all American companies are invasive, mining and selling. Not knowing what best to do, I paid Network Solutions hundreds of dollars for an account. I think I wasted a bunch of money because I’m ignorant on the topic of computers, imap, pop, etc. what I know is the world requires everyone to have an email account to simply confirm airline reservations. Automation has replaced people: so why does government say we need to import more people? I don’t understand the math.

EastBeach Aug 27, 2019 09:47 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

7:05AM - ProtonMail usually comes up when discussing secure/private email . They do end-to-end encryption of your email (you use an app they supply for your PC or cell phone). They're based in Switzerland and all their servers are in the country. So your email data is subject to Swiss privacy laws (a good thing). They also support users who want an IMAP connection (i.e. for users who use Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail). If Cox punts on their email service because they can't monetize it, I'll probably switch to ProtoMail. They have a free version for light-duty users. More info here ........ https://www.lifewire.com/best-secure-email-services-4136763 ......... https://protonmail.com

Channelfog Aug 27, 2019 07:24 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

Many years ago I watched as fibre optic line was installed in our Mesa neighborhood, and was thrilled by the thought that we would soon have fibre internet at home. Unfortunately these lines seem to serve cell sites and nothing more. because splicing fibre optics in the field is extremely complicated, premade cables of set lengths are used. The excess is doubled back on the line between pulls using thimble to gently bend it back on itself. These thimbles are tear dropped shaped, and a dead give-away that you are looking at a fibre line. The state communications company Antel, is aggressively installing fibre lines and now half of the population of Uruguay is on fibre. There is also a submarine fibre line from Miami, FL to Montevideo, Uruguay. We'll take a state owned utility over "free market" any day.

EastBeach Aug 27, 2019 09:59 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

That's the same strategy the UK and other European countries use. They own the communications infrastructure and let private companies compete on top of it. Visitors often comment on how expensive mobile phone and internet costs are here in the U.S. The Koch brothers (now brother I suppose) have done quite a job selling their "guvmint is bad" message (to their profit).

RHS Aug 27, 2019 10:40 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

State utilities are even more desirable as we see the increasing corruption of the "public utility" private model. These private companies (PGE, SCE etc.) were supposed to have a respectable safe return in exchange for quasi-monopoly franchises but they have tried to feed their fat pig execs and board members and ignore the service obligation to the community to do so. Along the way they have bribed and bought Public Utility Commissioners who were supposed to protect us. Enough of that. If this be socialism, sign me up.

a-1566919763 Aug 27, 2019 08:29 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

If I have an email unexplainably bounced back to me it's always a Cox address. This had been happening for years.

BCS Aug 27, 2019 10:04 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

When my COX email stopped working, the only way they could restore it was to eliminate all of the information I stored in several "boxes". Since then I forward all Cox mail to a google account.

JB86 Aug 27, 2019 10:59 AM
Cox Announces Cutback of Email Service

We use Gmail accounts as secondary channels, recognizing they scan everything - visit a business site to browse even and within 24 hours ads for similar businesses pop up. Hard to escape that, but no one is forced to buy anything - just annoyed.