Beware of Caller ID Spoofing
By Southern California Edison
For your security, never give out your personal information, such as your SCE account number, Social Security number, credit card information or PIN number.
We have recently experienced an increase in reports of caller ID spoofing, a practice in which special phone equipment falsifies information on your caller ID display. Calls may appear to be from SCE, when in reality the caller has no association with SCE and may try to sell you products, collect personal information or say your electric bill is past due when it's not.
Common red flag warnings related to spoofed phone calls:
- Calls were made multiple times per day
- Callers asked about customer's usage, meter or other personal information
- Customers were provided recommendations for purchasing alternative energy products
Tips to help protect yourself from caller ID spoofing scammers:
- SCE will not send solar representatives to your home, nor do we have solar companies contact anyone by phone.
- SCE will never ask for credit card information, a prepaid card such as Green Dot or electric usage information over the phone.
- Do not use a call back number provided until you confirm it is an SCE number listed on your bill or the Contact Us page on sce.com.
Please know that we take your privacy seriously and make every effort to protect your information. For additional red flag warnings and tips to protect yourself, please visit sce.com/scamalert. If you believe you are the recipient of a spoofing call, contact SCE Information Governance at firstname.lastname@example.org.