By edhat staff

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department (PHD) reported 14 deaths and 241 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday.

Ten individuals were 70+ years of age, two were 50-69, and two were 30-49 years of age. Eleven individuals had underlying health conditions and nine of the deaths were associated with outbreaks at congregate care sites.

The county has now lost 330 people to the virus since March of 2019.

There are currently 1,171 active cases within the county. Of those, there are 164 hospitalizations including 48 in the intensive care unit (ICU).

The county is reporting 19.7% of ICU availability.

More data can be found at https://publichealthsbc.org/status-reports/

LooseCannon Feb 04, 2021 07:45 PM

un·der·ling
/ˈəndərliNG/
Learn to pronounce
nounDEROGATORY
a person lower in status or rank.
"she was shouting orders at underlings between gulps of coffee"

JB86 Feb 04, 2021 07:54 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Anyone know where to find an official list of 'underlying conditions?' The media, and public health people use the term constantly, but so far as I can tell, no one has articulated exactly what it means.

LooseCannon Feb 04, 2021 08:13 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

The Freudian slip says it all. The messaging from the public health authorities has been arrogant and condescending from day one.

Ahchooo Feb 04, 2021 08:44 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

I did a search on “underlying conditions for covid,” and went to the CDC page recommended, “People with certain medical conditions.” There are a lot of them, and it’s not an exhaustive list. I don’t know what list our county public health follows, but I bet it’s not cut and dried.

sbmh2015 Feb 04, 2021 08:44 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

I believe they are listed on CDC.gov website. But, it really encompasses lots of things. I have migraine headaches and it would be an unlying condition

a-1612502329 Feb 04, 2021 09:18 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Loose cannon, I don’t see what’s arrogant and condescending. They give numbers, and keep exhorting us to follow the safety guidelines. What would you prefer to see?

bumblebee Feb 05, 2021 10:07 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Go to Google Scholar. Enter : Underlying health conditions Covid 19. That should take to most if not all published studies regarding that topic. Interesting reading and not at all what the media is reporting.

a-1612549850 Feb 05, 2021 10:30 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

@JB86, in a past press conference Dr. Ansorg said the majority of "underlying conditions" can be anything from diabetes, asthma, heart conditions or being overweight. He said most of them in the county are being overweight and heart conditions.

ChemicalSuperFreak Feb 04, 2021 10:27 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

There have been 63 new deaths since Gavin Newsom, driven by an impending recall, lifted the stay-at-home order on January 25th. That's a 23.6% increase in deaths in a mere 11 days. Many of these deaths were associated with outbreaks in congregate living facilities. Gavin suddenly abandoned all that “science” he was preaching in order to save his own behind. Gavin clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing, and he never has. Gavin has blood on his hands and he must go, immediately.

a-1612544544 Feb 05, 2021 09:02 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

You're deliberately ignoring the lag time between infection and death to suit your political agenda. Paltering is so juvenile.

letmego Feb 05, 2021 09:14 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

The lag between onset of COVID symptoms and death is 2 to 8 weeks, typically. Many of these deaths are likely from the Christmas spike.

Voice of Reason Feb 05, 2021 10:52 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Chem has never pushed a political agenda here and Gavin's completely failure in leadership through this pandemic is irrefutable regardless of your political affiliation.

ChemicalSuperFreak Feb 05, 2021 07:59 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

LETMEGO, so you're pointing out that these people caught COVID while the SoCal region was under Gavin's lockdown, and I don't disagree. His lockdown didn't work. These poor individuals subsequently died towards the end of the lockdown or shortly after it was lifted. The point is that despite Gavin sounding the all clear, we are see a record number of deaths in a short time period, a clear indication of his complete failure at managing this crisis. A slow rollout of vaccines, which could have saved these poor people, and an apparent uninterest in implementing serious oversight on our nursing homes, when we know those are the most vulnerable people.

MountainMan4865 Feb 04, 2021 10:40 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

No my friend, you have to look at when these death were recorded, not reported. Of "today's" 14 deaths reported - 3 were from the week ending 1/10, 2 from 1/17, 6 from 1/24, and 3 from 1/31.

ChemicalSuperFreak Feb 05, 2021 12:01 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Yes, quite true and thank you for pointing that out. I should have written "63 new reported deaths" to make that distinction. I've never delved deeper into the deaths other than the reported cases, so how are you getting the breakdown on when they actually died? I looked at the Dashboard but I may just be tired because I'm not really seeing those numbers. Thanks.

a-1612544622 Feb 05, 2021 09:03 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Just another example of why you shouldn't rely on random internet amateurs to get data on the pandemic.

MountainMan4865 Feb 05, 2021 07:46 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

I've been taking screen shots ('cause I have too much paper on my desk already) of the daily death counts by week. https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/030e625c69a04378b2756de161f82ef6 I don't know if the link will work, but it's on the case page, and go to the tab 'Weekly Deaths". You'll see the numbers change day to day regarding the weekly total. Some will be added on weeks earlier, some last week.

ChemicalSuperFreak Feb 05, 2021 08:05 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Thanks. I believe I understand how you're teasing out the deaths, but it seems like too much trouble to keep going over the past weeks to check for daily updates. Plus with the errors that you and I have encountered in some of these numbers, I have enough of a headache keeping the records straight. Reported date seems good enough to an approximation for the purposes of mortality rate, which is what I've been focusing on.

pstarSR Feb 05, 2021 08:44 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

2 aged 30-49, and only 11 with underlying conditions. so 3 died without having underlying conditions.

wear the masks.

sandy1 Feb 05, 2021 09:37 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Gave in and took the Pfizer’s vaccine yesterday morning @ GVCH. .Absolutely no side effects whatsoever so far . The GVCH drive through was amazing ! Thanks to all.

a-1612551850 Feb 05, 2021 11:04 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

"gave in"? You (and I, too) were very lucky to get an appointment and receive the shot. So many, including those over 75, have not (yet, hopefully, "yet") been able to get an appointment. There's talk of March, April and even June. However, there are appointments available in Santa Maria, I found.

Bird Feb 05, 2021 11:07 AM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

Sorry for the repetition; I see that "underlying conditions" was discussed earlier in the thread. I can't get mine to start at anything but "most recent comments".

pstarSR Feb 08, 2021 04:02 PM
14 Deaths and 241 New COVID-19 Cases

nope I didnt say that, I said. "2 are aged 30-49" no the "ITS ONLY OLD PEOPLE" every claims. then I stated that from the report. "11 died with underlying conditions" leaving 3 to have died without having any underlying condition. just making sure the things posted sunk in. its not only old people and people with underlying conditions that this can affect. please, wear a mask.