Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

Why isn't the brand new ( million dollar?) restaurant ever opened at Lake Cachuma? It was completed in 2015 Did taxpayers pay for this boondoggle?

a-1518033020 Feb 07, 2018 11:50 AM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

If you are talking about the building near the launch ramp, I am sure yet is drought related. Not many boaters when the water is so low, so probably lack of potential customers.

oceandrew Feb 07, 2018 12:43 PM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

I paid for a boondoggle? When? Where? Hey, I hear earmarks are making a come back. At least this "bridge to nowhere" can be put to good use when the reservoir fills up again.

TWOSCOOPS Feb 07, 2018 12:59 PM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

How about pop-up restaurants on weekends? Local foodies and chefs could try out their luck? Pop-up restaurants are temporary restaurants. These restaurants often operate from a private home, former factory or similar space, and during festivals. It could even be a breakfast pop-up cafe.

tagdes Feb 07, 2018 02:57 PM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

Those fish are bred to be eaten...what really tugs at my heartstrings are people killing wild rice for their own indulgence.

ladylagomorph Feb 08, 2018 09:25 AM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

Wild rice isn't rice, although it's related. It's a North American grass. Being allergic to grasses, I got an unpleasant shock when I ate Wild Rice mistakingly thinking it WAS a form of rice.

ladylagomorph Feb 08, 2018 09:25 AM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

ladylagomorph Feb 08, 2018 09:26 AM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

pstarSR Feb 08, 2018 08:47 AM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

I dont think the public payed anything for it, I assume it is like the beach house restaurant at goleta beach. privately owned and operated.

tagdes Feb 08, 2018 03:33 PM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

Businesses on government owned properties like Goleta beach are not privately owned and are only operated by concessionaires as Red Creek said or by leases so ultimately the public probably didn't pay out too much rope but has paid for it.

Red Creek Feb 08, 2018 08:50 AM
Where's the Cachuma Lake Restaurant?

Cachuma Lake was set up to be a self-funding "Enterprise Fund" many years ago. That said, it receives many sources of funding from government agencies due to it's importance as a source of potable water for the South Coast. It's likely the restaurant facility was funded a few years ago before the drought, was built, and then the lake emptied and lack of customers made rental by a concessionaire an unprofitable proposition. Until we hear from County managers otherwise, this is the likely scenario.