Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

Update by edhat staff

Santa Barbara County firefighters responded to two brush fire near a homeless camp off Los Carneros early Saturday.

At 1:04 a.m., fire crews arrived at Highway 101 southbound onramp along the railroad tracks with three engines and a Battalion Chief. It's believed a fires started in the homeless camp and spread to nearby vegetation, according to Fire Captian Daniel Bertucelli.

Crews remained on the scene to mop up the remaining fire. There were no injuries and the official cause is under investigation.

Around 5:30 a.m. it's reported a second fire took place in the same area. There's no additional information on the second fire.

This is a developing story.

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy

Brush fire off Highway 101 southbound at Los Carneros.

a-1619937117 May 01, 2021 11:31 PM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

Yet THIS is what happens when housing is proposed:

I would welcome this next to me. I lived next to a sober house for over 10 years and they were the best neighbors ever; I did get to know several of the inhabitants and always knew the house managers (Granted, it was a second step house.)

If NIMBYism kills a step up house, how are we going to help?! My estate is committed to non-profits, but I can't give my house to those in need -- only the profits. It's the least I can do.

MountainMan4865 May 01, 2021 11:00 PM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

I"m a little mystified that these 'fires' keep happening on warm, dry, and/or windy days. Not cool, wet days. I understand the nature of fire and how it moves, but if it's cold and wet it's not going to go very far. Call me 'kooky', but 'warming fires' when it's 80 degrees with predicted wind sounds calculating. I don't feel like it's the homeless community (why would they want to risk their last refuge/space/community?), but it would very easily create a scenario where they are to blame. Did the PD ever find the young woman setting fires along the offramps and train tracks?

edney May 01, 2021 01:29 PM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

City of LA spent $619M on 53,000 homeless in 2019, which calcs out to $11,679 per person and the homeless numbers still rose to 66,000.
That does not include indirect resource costs like police time and EMR response.
Where did the $619,000,000 go? LA says 27,000 or over 50% were put into "permanent" housing., but they won't answer the questions. How many of those 27,000 people are still in this "permanent" housing? Ah. So they were calling the housing "permanent" because it was within a fixed structure not because the original people were still staying in the permanent building.

Roger May 01, 2021 10:54 AM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

A homeless advocate just wrote a joke about it on J.P.'s page from the infamous NIMBY Not in my back yard to the new Not in my burn't yard. That is about how much they care about others... Most of them don't care about the homeless they just care about their paycheck and grants...

ArtisticSN May 01, 2021 10:25 AM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

If the city councils would actually put in the effort to do something these areas wouldn't be getting fires every week. The police have their hands tied by our city council and the fire department has to keep cleaning up. This isn't the homeless population that is actually wanting help these are the ones who don't want it.

Chip of SB May 01, 2021 08:49 AM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

They had so many fires in this area a little while back they actually cleared out much of the area between the freeway be the tracks from Los carneros to fairview. At the time I thought they might actually clean up the freeway and railroad corridor all the way through town, but I should have known better. They only cleared a small area, a minimal effort to satisfy the public outcry that resulted from a series of fires at the time. We rely on unplanned fires to maintain public spaces in this town and apparently we are stubbornly sticking with this program. No pruning, no mowing, and certainly no planned burns under controlled conditions. We like to live on the edge. Unfortunately, this approach will result in a catastrophe sooner or later. It may be sooner, because we are quickly transitioning to the dry season.

a-1619900501 May 01, 2021 01:21 PM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

We may be "living on the edge" as Chip mentioned, but it is stupid to allow fires and encampments in high fire areas, and do little to nothing mitigated high fire hazard eucalyptus groves and overgrown freeway shrubbery from Goleta to Santa Barbara. When we get a severe hot spell (and we will) accompanied by high winds that last several days, a conflagration on the scale of many in northern California could occur. Where is the County and City Fire Departments? They insist that property owners clear their areas, but not institutions, including UCSB.

MarcelK May 01, 2021 12:23 PM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

It works for those able and willing to be educated. My rather excellent American education tells me that the comment I'm responding to is a logical non sequitur.

smary May 01, 2021 09:30 AM
Two Fires Near Homeless Camp Off Los Carneros

the usual no doubt....vagrants cooking meth. over n over n over n over n over n over with 0 to minimal consequences. Bet the fire dept is sicker of this farce than the general public even.