Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program  title=

Source: Heal the Ocean

STYROMANIA HITS SANTA BARBARA

Styrofoam Recycling Collection Center in Santa Barbara

In less than two months of announcing a Styrofoam Recycling Program created in a partnership of Heal the Ocean and MarBorg Industries, the amount of Styrofoam going to the program instead of the landfill (and from there, pieces of it out to sea) – is mind-boggling! Right away, on the first day, construction contractors pulled up to MarBorg’s free drop-off site at 20 David Love Place in Goleta, and private citizens began diverting Styrofoam from their trash bins and taking it to the MarBorg recycling center at 132 Nopalitos, in the lower Milpas area, where a mountain of Styrofoam formed within 2 weeks.

Pat & Maire Radis retrieve Styrofoam from their business trash bin

2-week Mountain of Styrofoam at Nopalitos Dropoff

MarBorg is experimenting with “baling” the Styrofoam, for shipping to a “Densifier” process in Ontario – in which Styrofoam is basically melted into molds that are reusable as picture frames, molding, as well as new packing materials that are necessary for fragile shipments such as glass, ceramic materials (sinks, bathtubs), and electronic equipment such as computers and television screens. The goal is to demonstrate a need for the Densifier equipment in Santa Barbara so that it doesn’t have to be hauled to Ontario. We need everyone to participate to have this happen. Please read here to understand the dire need to keep Styrofoam out of the ocean. Once again and always, Heal the Ocean thanks Brian Borgatello for spearheading this project at MarBorg!

Heal the Ocean has designated our new intern George Henner as our Styrofoam recycling advisor to assist you in utilizing this program. If you need any assistance or have any questions e-mail us at Styrofoam@healtheocean.org to get this help.

Remember: If it snaps/breaks it’s Styrofoam, otherwise it’s not. Please do NOT put Styrofoam into your Blue Recycling bins.

Remember also: All this Styrofoam being pulled out of trash bins is NOT going to the Landfill, and from there, to the ocean. Thank you!

JB86 Aug 31, 2019 11:46 PM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

Can I assume that the MarBorg facility on David Love Place in Goleta accepts styrafoam? On another issue, it seems the City of Santa Barbara has muddied the waters on what is or is not recyclable; yogurt cups? Waxed paper cartons? Frozen vegetable packaging? I don't know. Am I being told to put these things in the trash, rather than waste water cleaning them? I think the City and MarBorg need to get on the same page here or a whole lot of things are going into the landfill waste stream.

a-1569191652 Aug 31, 2019 11:30 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

Chinese Tariffs drive up prices. Higher prices mean fewer goods. Fewer goods means less plastic. Less plastic includes reduced amount of Styrofoam. Less of everything creates less recycle. Less recycle is less wasteful. All of this is environmentally beneficial.

Lucky 777 Aug 31, 2019 11:10 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

Once upon a time Los Angeles Mayor Sam Yorty was elected in 1961 on two major campaign promises: no more separating trash to recycle it, and removing all the Red Car railroad tracks that used to run down the middle of the freeways. Now we have reversed those preferences.

kxcamera Aug 31, 2019 10:53 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

so I reuse 100% of it to package shipments and occasionally need more sheets, peanuts and bubblewrap. I've been putting ads on craigslist to get it all free, occasionaly giving some away when I have too much. Can I get some from Marborg? It doesn't say if they give it away if you're going to use/reuse it. The only thing I can't control is where is goes once the shipment gets to my customers. Is that bad? At least I'm not buying NEW peanuts...

Shasta Guy Aug 31, 2019 09:57 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

For those who want a deeper dive into the topic of degradation of plastics in the environment, here’s something for you: https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2015/em/c5em00207a

kane kena Aug 31, 2019 09:46 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

I seem to recall that packing peanuts were not accepted in this program. If this is true it should be made clear in announcements such as the above. But in any case, kudos for getting any styrofoam out of the landfill!

a-1569191652 Aug 31, 2019 01:12 PM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

Styrofoam peanuts are NOT included, but you can rinse off your styrofoam meat trays and recycle those, too. I suggest using baking soda, as that rinse water can then be put out into your garden/used to water plants.

Factotum Aug 31, 2019 09:26 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

Amazing how quickly eco-warriors fade and retreat after a change in the battle plan. We used to have three separate home recycle bins which we took to the downtown recycle center on our own - because we believed in it. Then we got curbside pick-up for those same three bins, which were exploited by the aluminum can hunters picking off the stuff they could turn into cash for themselves. I believe the three separate bins were for paper, glass; and aluminum. Plastics? Can't remember. But fading when asked to exert a little more than free, unsorted pick-up? Show a little grit.

a-1569191652 Aug 31, 2019 01:17 PM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

The three curbside bins were metal cans (which included aluminum), glass and newspaper. We used to have to bundle the newspapers to take them to the recycling center. At the recycling center (Garden & Ortega) newspaper, aluminum cans and glass were weighed and we got paid or could donate to a charity of our choice. We always took the money as, back in the day, we used to donated $600-$900 per year to worthy causes. Our friends used to laugh at us when we'd collect the bottles and cans at the end of a party. We would say, "Learn to recycle now, because one day you will be forced to do it." That was 45 years ago.

Concerned4Calif Aug 31, 2019 09:15 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

I am all for recycling but an average car produces about a pound of CO2 per mile. So a round-trip to these drop off locations can produce tons and tons of CO2. Not to mention shipping it to Ontario. Seems like a trade-off of one form pollution for another. Which does more harm to the environment? Why not give financial penalties to landfill operator for illegally dumping the styrofoam in the ocean - then they will build a fence and fix the problem?

a-1569191652 Aug 31, 2019 01:23 PM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

Every gallon of gasoline burned creates about 8,887 grams of CO2. In pounds that is approx. 19 lbs of CO2 per gallon-----IF your vehicle is getting 22 miles per gallon. Saying it's one pound is not far off.

ljmdance Aug 31, 2019 09:24 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

"an average car produces about a pound of CO2 per mile" Really?! My thoughts & post relate to this idea, and I'm not up on the statistics, but this sounds like an unbelievably large one.

ljmdance Aug 31, 2019 09:12 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

This "cheerleading" announcement sounds lovely, but I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that our County recycling program has gone unconscionably backwards! If " We need everyone to participate to have this happen," then they need to make the pickup part of the routine recycling pickup! It is insane to think that every individual household that has occasional (or even frequent) Styrofoam to discard is going to drive to the downtown Milpas area recycling center, and/or that the time, fuel, vehicle emissions, and parking efforts of the willing individual vehicles is somehow more efficient or effective that having it handled VIA (even if not BY) the Marborg trucks that drive past every single location weekly! I hardly believe this is Santa Barbara any more. Isn't this the birthplace of Earth Day?! After being told last year that we could recycle waxed cardboard boxes (cereal, other foodstuffs, etc)& milk cartons- hallelujah- this year we were re-educated (read: change of plans, folks) that none of those could be recycled any more, nor could plastics such as yogurt cups, food containers, etc, and the **WARNINGS** that all food containers needed to be clean of food were so threatening that even a motivated person (myself) is afraid that I'll have to wash & sterilize every item I'd like to recycle, which is not likely to happen on a large scale. (Yes, I always rinse everything I discard, anyway, due to the ant problem, but still....) This is DIScouraging and disheartening. Fellow Santa Barbarans, I welcome your thoughts & perspectives.

Eggs Ackley Sep 01, 2019 08:23 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

Have you considered combining your trips or co-op'ing with neighbors? Maybe one who has a ZEV, I've seen a few of those around.

Shasta Guy Aug 30, 2019 07:50 PM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

This is a welcome sight. Polystyrene has a benzene ring as part of its polymer unit cell which makes it a disturbing plastic to release into the environment or into landfills. Polymers with benzene rings in them can become nasty chemicals if combusted. Benzene rings are better of in gasoline and not in the soil or ocean.

a-1569191652 Aug 30, 2019 01:30 PM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

Wow. I have a "Wanted" ad on Craigslist where I'm asking for nice, clean styrofoam for packaging things I sell online. Guess it's time to stop off at the recycling facility and (hopefully) grab some. I see loads I could reuse.

RHS Aug 31, 2019 08:40 AM
Thumbs Up for Styrofoam Recycling Program

People who use this product for packaging and temporary use do a disservice to the community. Please consider other products to meet your business needs. Crushed paper or even inflatable sealed plastic bags are a better choice. Thanks.