Scanner Reports 7-25-18
By Roger the Scanner Guy
The first time I ever drove a car I was 13 years old. I needed a ride home from a rec center, I had been at with my friend he told me his father would give me a ride home. We went to his house and his dad was drunk, he told me I had to drive myself home in his car, a 1959 blackfish tale Cadillac. I was drunk too but Davie's old man didn't know that. That was most likely because I was also high and the weed mellowed me out some. First we drove over to the Standard to get some gas where I kinda bumped the tire rack a little with the car knocking down some tires onto the hood of the car, then we headed home. It was a straight shot from Conkey to 174th, all three of us in the front seat 70 mph for about 3 miles. I did not stop for one red light. Ear to ear smile on my face as Davie and his father screamed all the way to my house, I had a grand old time! Old man never let me drive his car again.
A couple years later Davie's father died, he was drunk trying to fix something on the roof of their home and the roof caved in the fall through the roof killed the old man. Maybe that was what he was trying to fix. Davie got 10 grand inheritance, he bought a couple dirt bikes, a 4 seat Buick Opal, and about a dozen pounds of weed. That was One Hell of a Summer. I never thought it was possible to drive a car between 2 semis side by side but Davie did it in that Buick Opal. I think he was paying me back for the Cadillac ride. That was the most intense ride I have ever experienced traveling 80 plus mph between two semis in a car with a roof flush with the bottom of the trailer, those cars did not come with commodes but they should have, the air between the semi's bouncing us back and forth. I thought for sure we'd be ground up mutilated remains before the night was over, but we were fine drove all the way out to Gary US 30 Drag Strip to watch stock cars race and made it back without a scratch.
Drinking and driving were pretty normal back then, accepted pretty much. Everyone even my Mother drank and Drove back in the day, most of the time the cops pulled you over and escorted you home unless you were a real ass you hardly ever got busted for drunk, or DUI Driving. LAWS ARE STRICTER NOW DRUNK, AND DUI DRIVING NOT AS ACCEPTED. But I think people drink just as much if not more as they did then, the only time anyone is sorry for it at all is when they get caught. Way back when I got into a couple high speed chases with police even hit a police car with a cop in it and did not care. What shook me up was one day I was driving drunk and my brakes went out. I was doing about 60 in a New Yorker when I tried to throw the vehicle into reverse though it wrecked my car and slowed it some the car kept going. There were kids playing in the street ahead of me, if the car kept going and they did not get out of the way I was going to hit them so I tried to turn the wheel toward a tree and I was successful, but then I noticed there was a little girl sitting there at the base of the tree. I was still rolling I was going to hit the tree no matter what. I did something alot of people do when the shit hits the fan I prayed. At the last second that little girl got up and walked away, I hit the tree head-on not wearing a seat belt. I popped up and my face smashed into the windshield I was bloody some but did not feel much, drunk. I was just happy that little girl got up and walked away. Her dad came running out of the house to see if I was OK he was dressed in his uniform ready to go to work he was a Hammond Police Officer. I don't think he saw his daughter sitting at the base of that tree, or knew how close I came to hitting her, had he I'm pretty sure he would have shot me dead right there and I would have deserved it. That was the one time I drank drove and wrecked and actually cared more about someone other than myself more. I would have killed that little girl there was no way I could have ever lived with myself after that. A couple years later was the first time I sobered up and once I did that I no longer drank and drove always remembering WHAT COULD HAPPEN. Here are your Scanner Reports.
Scanner Reports, Monday:
- Staggering Subject check the welfare State street at Sola, Staggering along.
- Lost Hikers 1400 Block of Tunnel Trail or thereabouts half mile from the trail up a creek turned up to be a several hour event until they were found by Search and Rescue and Copter 2.
- Check the Welfare of a subject down next to luggage at Carrillo and Chapala a tired traveler perhaps.
- Juvenile with a head injury 1118 East Cabrillo, at the Cabrillo Arts Building.
- Check the welfare of an older male laying on the grass Patterson at Hollister.
- Non injury traffic accident Micheltorena at Chino police assistance needed.
- Fire reported out behind the Village Market in the 3700 Block of Constellation it was a piece of paper on fire there was also a 415 Argument over an incident involving the fire.
- Non injury accident Hollister at Ward drive non injury accident bicyclist was going against traffic there was a 415 after the accident involving both parties.
- 459 Burglary to a vehicle at the Goodwill store on Orcutt. Road.
- 6 Gunshots heard from the Ellwood Medows.
- Vegetarian Fire 400 Block of Venado Drive in Santa Barbara.
- Medical call at Dargans 18 East Ortega dehydrated, and intoxicated subject.
- Injury traffic Accident 302 North Milpas Milpas liquors parking lot truck vs bicycle.
- Theft of flowers from 314 East Carrillo Suspect was in a grey Cherokee Part Ca. plate 3MRL4?? Cheapskate.
- Wires arcing 300 Block of Magna Vista.
- Transformer blown in front of SMHS.
- Male harassing females in the parking lot of Crown Liquor sounds like a real catch.
- Suspicious Mercedes with Major front end damage in the bike lane in the 3500 Block of Modoc.
- White RV style Chevy van in the Upper Manning park area Suspicious Subject male driver had been watching Reporting parties daughter earlier in the day at the beach.
- Threats investigation involving a 415 Domestic situation reported over the phone only SB County Sheriff.
Scanner Reports, Tuesday:
- Major Stank the First Block of North Milpas from Quinientos to Mason street on the East Side of the street horrible URINE ODOR ALERT! Walking by Hold your Nose unless Urine to that sort of thing not me YUCK!
- 415 Homeless subject disturbing 21 North Milpas.
- Mary 3 on a Traffic Stop with a black Mercedes SUV 400 Block of West Carrillo driver cited.
- 242 Assault at PATH 816 Cacique reporting party is in the lobby.
- Premise check first block of West Figourea.
- Premise check and a ticket handed out at the Walter Claudio Hair Studios.
- Premises check on Subjects behind the Saks store.
- Combative patient chasing the reporting party 4200 Block of Hollister that patient don't sound sick to me.
- 415 Between a clerk and possible customer First Block of East Figourea the clothing the customer bought back to the store might have been stolen from the store.
- Theft of a bicycle from the Santa Barbara rescue Mission 535 East Yanonali.
- Campers 200 Block of Santa Barbara street.
- Check the Welfare of a subject who had a picture of a gun to his head on his Facebook page in the 1200 Block of Bath street
- Leaf Blower on Calle Fresno.
- Camper behind the 900 Block of State street wearing a cowboy hat.
- Check the Welfare on Mooncrest in the 200 Block 911 Hangup with a female crying in the backround.
- Trespasser in the 5200 Block of Overpass first taking water from a faucet then taking a shower in the Laundry Room.
- 415 Domestic on Casini Circle.
- 2500 Block of Cliff Drive check the Welfare of a subject in a wheelchair who looks overheated.
- Found property a Hypo needle on San Pascual.
- Panhandler at Olive Mill and highway 101 Screaming at drivers WMA with a bicycle and a razor type item hanging from his belt.
- Mary 3 on a traffic stop 300 Block of West Carrillo clear with a warning.
- 415 Argument 5300 Block of Hollister.
- Check the area of Winchester Canyon at Calle Real for a subject who left his bicycle there older homeless HMA his bicycle has been there on the corner since 7am.
Will that is all outta me for now it's hot I'm melting...It's heating up late afternoon..Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear Clancy, Midnight, Merlin, Thomicina, Tiger, Lola, Tom Cat, Fish Head One, Poncho, Jerry, Jonathan, C.J., Walter, Fred, Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, David Cox, Poe, Marty, Cop John, Bengy, Ricky, Pat, Mavis, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Isabelle, Jerry, LUCY! Debbie, Ken, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris Willing we will see you on FRYday. Later, Roger