Scanner Reports 11-17-17
By Roger the Scanner Guy
Thank the Good Dog its FRYday. I got some weird looking bites on my hand, gotta go see my doctor. That bums me out I don't like going anywhere it hurts to move. Just another thing to go with my arthritis and everything else. Someone left me a walker in the driveway yesterday I adjusted it to my height, THANKS! I'll probably be walking with it forget to lift it and flip over it in the Milpas UNDERPANTS. Engine 2 will be scraping me up off the sidewalk. The other day I noticed I had a few bucks worth of cans decided to go recycle em before someone ripped them off. I gathered em up, found a bag to put 'em in and went over to Marborg. I used to walk over to Santa Barbara Iron and Metal in the 700 Block of East Guiterrez but that's too far now. Sometimes they'd give a little extra over there and I like the Folks over there the recycling center on Gutierrez.
It reminds me of the one I ran one summer back in Fort Wayne for CETA. It was my summer job back in 1974 I was 16 years old I think I got 2.35 cents an hour or thereabouts, min wage course back then you could get some things cheaper: bread, hot dogs, cigarettes, beer. All the important things. Anyway got my cans and went to Marborg, it's nice that it's just around the corner all the usuals were there, some folks make their living out of recycling. You get a couple taverns willing to give up their glass beer bottles sometimes you can score a couple hundred bucks a day with a pickup truck so many DRUNKS in Santa Barbara I don't blame em if I could drink I would too.
I dumped my cans in the recycle container and got in line there was only one guy in front of me. He was a thin guy a little older than me that seen better days. His back was hunched he had burn scars on his arm he was limping but he smiled as he went by. I could use a greeting, I'll take anything I could get nowadays sometimes someone smiling at you is all you need to get through a day. For this guy to smile at all must have taken a lot because he looked like he spent more than a few days in HELL. When you don't know someone and you see they have been through the barrel a few times it's easy to judge. Seeing the guys a bit older more than likely he went to Vietnam and that is most likely where he got the burns but I don't know. He had some recycle too, a few cans and about 15 pounds in plastic looked to be about 17.00 or so dollars. He got his receipt went up to the window I was right behind him: 4 pounds of cans 6 bucks. Oh well better than nothing. He turned and Smiled again, I said something like "Everything hurts nowadays." He says "Yea I got some holes in me, so many holes I do a little and I feel like a wussy, know what I mean?" He said it like he had many more holes in him than I do and I felt like a wussy in fact I felt bad that he must be hurting a lot more than me and I was complaining about my own pain.
He turned back to the window to get his recycling money and I noticed that though this guy looked physically broken he had a wedding band on one of his fingers on his left hand that was not only gold but shining he turned again said "You have a nice day" and smiled again, I said "You do the same" and he walked away. I showed my I.D. got my 6 bucks, a little change, thanked the guy turned to walk away couldn't be a few seconds later and the man I was talking to was gone. That was weird I could have sworn he had a truck too everyone else was still there but he was GONE it was just a few seconds 30 or so.
The last time I remember seeing something shiny like that ring was back in 1975 at a Greyhound Bus station in South Bend, Indiana. This blind man was selling cross keychains they were silver they had Jesus on them for a buck I bought one. I held it in my hand for a minute and the sun hit it. I got a strange feeling the cross felt warm in my hand. I held on to that keychain for a bit and put it in my pocket. A while later I got on the bus heading back to Fort Wayne I remember we were passing some farmland and a beautiful ranch I remember thinking it must be Heaven. I came to on the floor of the bus the driver standing over me all the passengers looking concerned he said "You stay right there ambulance is coming." I said "I'm all right." He said, "You had a seizure you gotta go to the hospital." I said "Naa I'm all right cancel it." He canceled it and drove on when we got to Fort Wayne everything was different. I was on the bus alone with the driver everyone was gone, it was dark we were parked in Fort Wayne. He said "I called Poe he's coming to get you." Just then Poe the House Father of the boys home I was in got on the bus walked over to me picked me up and carried me off he put me in the house van and drove me to the boys home.
Later on that day I was transported to Parkview Hospital with another kid who was ill like myself, that kid died in the Emergency room. I woke up in ICU 3 weeks later I had Meningitis. I spent a month or so in the hospital, I had been in a coma, life support, and back. My fever took me to places I had never been before when I came back things were not the same. I had to relearn many things. How to tie my shoes, count, I did not understand simple grammar, or math it was a different language before I got sick. I had a scholarship I was going to go to Indiana University, my schooling was going to be paid for by a writer who wanted my story, all that was gone. Through the years I got some of my knowledge back but not enough to get a profession or have nice things other people have: a new car, or my own home, or enough money to make a good living. I have worked well over a thousand different jobs anywhere from a few hours to a few months, non-thinking jobs like security guard, or pushing a broom. I did not want to be on disability I wanted to work.
I joined the Military trying to get better, out of frustration I drank alcohol. I got fired, or quit jobs, got thrown out of the military. Members of my family, those closest to me figured out I was not all there, they defrauded the government in my name with disability and pocketed the cash giving me a few bucks. When I found out it was years later, one of the crooks was dead. All those years that sonofabitch made money off my back. I thought he was a good Step Father, he molested my little sister too. Bastard. I guess I have a few holes in me too but I'm grateful for the little I have and for people like that man at the recycling center. Thank the good Dog for the good people, and the good things I have had in my life.
Scanner Reports, WEDnesday:
- Traumatic Injury in the 1400 Block of Tunnel Road on Tunnel Trail injured hiker.
- Vehicle rollover Highway 154 at Rancho Allegre Tree trimming truck injury accident.
- Fall victim medical call 500 Block of North Voluntario.
- Transient walking South on State street from the 3900 Block yelling.
- Illegal burns, fires 101 Southbound Fairview offramp, 5400 Block of Calle Real warming fires maybe.
- Smoke investigation Foothill at Schulte Lane did not hear anything about a fire over there.
- Domestic fight, screaming heard 500 Block of West Islay.
- Unknown type Medical emergency 400 Block of North Milpas.
- Domestic fight highway 101 Summerland offramp Southbound.
- Check the welfare of a subject in the 200 Block of West Islay.
- 600 Block of Villa assault victim.
- Medical emergency broken shoulder OUCH! Sterns Wharf kiosk.
- Assault, Father choked Boyfriend 100 Block of Lakeview he must not like his daugthers friend.
- Sexual assault occurred last Thursday evening on Upper State street reporting it now SBPD station 215 East Figueroa.
- Assault spit in the face yuck! Chapala at Cota.
- SBCC Stadium someone disturbing.
- Possible structure fire roof of 112 Robin Hill Road full structure response County did not hear anymore.
- Subject down on the sidewalk State street at West Mission.
- Possible Fire Burton Mesa at Via Latto subject saw smoke and flame possible flair up all I heard of that.
- FOOD ON THE STOVE 500 Block of North La Cumbre Road Structure Fire response for FOOD ON THE STOVE probably a little burnt.
Scanner reports, Thursday:
- Early Thursday morning at the Sandpiper Lodge a door was kicked in room 136 by a suspicious Hispanic male a woman had been staying there but she left and was seen wandering around the HOOD. It's unknown whether or not she went back or was booted or what happened.
- Another Day Another Vehicle Rollover at Highway 154 and 246 non injury I believe.
- Missed the address somewhere on Via Real a Fight then a report of a male holding a female down on the ground the police knew where they were responding.
- Domestic 1900 Block of Red Rose Way the Neighbor HOOD Alarm clock.
- SBSO County report at the station Theft investigation.
- Medical call at SMHS /900 Block of South Broadway student having seizures.
- Fall victim at the Santa Barbara city Probation Office 100 Block of East Carrillo.
- Illegal campers 209 State street.
- 1000 Block of West Valerio 10851 Stolen Auto recovery.
- Burglary to a white Jeep in Beat 6 somewhere on Las Positas.
- Vehicle accident 2800 Block of Mission Drive unknown if injury.
- Non-injury accident Highway 101 Southbound at Casitas Pass US Army vehicle vs black minivan.
- Found property Found H&S ITEMS AT 821 State street Damn! I misplaced my Meth pipe again!.
- Overdose in the 300 Block of Ellwood Beach Drive.
- A 2-year-old Overdose Somewhere in the county child overdosed on seizure medication.
- Check the Welfare of a female sitting with her head between her legs, and a male nearby digging out of boxes Constellation at Jupiter.
- Medical Emergency Aboard Alaskan Airlines coming into the airport male with seizures.
- SBCC Trespasser ongoing problem with a trespasser today he got arrested.
Will that is all outta me for now. Kinda weird day on Wednesday running into that guy at the Recycling center then coming home later on going out and almost falling over the Walker. I thought for sure I was going to find a drinker in the bushes who left the walker in the driveway .I believe in Angels had too many close calls in my life not to believe in Angels I believe in the kind that fly around and the others who are existing amongst us. Many of the Folks I mention here were my Living Angels...Have a Great Weekend...Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Clancy, Fish Head One, Poncho, Jerry, Fred, Walter, Brad, Billy, Jonathan, C.J., Bommy, Poppy, Isabelle, Jerry, Rambo, Sherry, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Marty, Cop John, Poe, David Cox, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Tom Petty, and Chris Willing we will see you on MONday-MONday. Later, Roger