Scanner Reports 10-25-17
By Roger the Scanner Guy
Sure has been hot outside lately I always tell folks to drink a lot of water and forget about myself. I have been good the past few days, didn't forget this time and life is so much more comfortable when you do the right things. A roofer told me years ago that he and his crew pound a gallon of water before starting their work and they never had heat-related illnesses. I have mentioned that before, it's nice to be reminded though, everyone has crap on their minds.
Since it's so darn hot I started out my day getting water at the vending machines at Tri-County Produce then I ran into a friend whose name escapes me because they all do. We hung out for a bit, talked, then I took in some recycling, went to the store and picked up a couple jars of Jiff peanut butter. I had a couple heat strokes when I was young, first time I went through an intersection on Route 41 on my sister's 10 speed, hit a Caddie broadside, spent the weekend in the hospital. My mom told me I crashed on FRYday went to the hospital they kept me the weekend, got cut loose on MONday but to this day I don't remember anything from hitting that car until waking up in my bed TUESday Morning. I guess I was functioning but I don't remember a damn thing to this day.
The 2nd one I went code blue dropped like a rock, so I was told by a roommate who tried to revive me, he broke some of my ribs. Engine 17 Goleta Firefighters saved Rogers Butt that day, I spent a week in GVCH back then it was GVH 1981ish. Long, long time ago. Both heat strokes I had I was working. The first time mowed a 10 acre lawn with a push mower no breaks no water took me almost 8 hours, I was smoking cigarettes pushing the mower thinking about beer, ice cold beer. We had the best beer in Chicago in the day: Strohs, Schlitz, Michelobe, Billy Beer, Old Style, Hamms, PBR. Those were da daze. Anyway, before I could enjoy my beer CRUNCH! The second heat stroke I had here I ran 5 miles in 97-degree heat through the orchards up there around Storke Road, yes I used to run 5 miles every day 150 Years ago. No breaks there either, no water BOOM! On the floor. Anyway, it's better to remember to drink water.
On MONday I heard at least 2 dozen medical calls that could have been heat related. Some were serious unresponsive subject calls, and there were a couple code blues. Not a hundred percent sure they were all heat related but I bet a couple were, better to be Safe than Sorry.
Scanner Reports MONday-MONday:
- 2 Juveniles hit by vehicles in separate incidents in the 700 Block of East Cota, one of which was possibly a 20001 Felony hit and run.
- Suspicious subject circling the parking lot at Ralphs 100 West Carrillo on foot sounded like he was casing.
- Body found in 5 feet of water in the Marina area of West Beach.
- Someone claimed to have been bitten by Wild Life possibly a deer in the 600 Block of Hillside North County they had broken skin and was bleeding Fish and Game notified but could not respond SBSO Did respond I never heard the outcome or could comfirm the type of animal. If anyone knows more about this incident please let me know.
- Medical Call broken Arm Adams School on Las Positas.
- An ill subject at the Mobil Station 2299 Las Positas.
- Traumatic injury unknown type 4000 Block of Via Lucero.
- Medical call for abdominal pain at The Californian 2225 DLV.
- Assault, Girlfriends Brother punched reporting party in the face First block of Green Well Lane must have been something they said.
- Injury traffic accident Hollister and Pacific Oaks subject with neck injury after a Drunk hit and run driver crashed into their vehicle from behind.
- Subject shot in the face by an idiot with a pellet gun possibly on the freeway Responders responded to the 500 Block of State street where the victim had pulled over.
- Medical for a subject sitting at a bus stop with an open and bleeding wound in his stomach 5800 Block of Calle Real.
- Medical Emergency for an Unconscious male at the Santa Barbara Airport in the terminal.
- DRUNK hanging out around South Fairview causing a Ruckus
- Suspicious Subjects around the San Ysidro Ranch following someone told the Reporting party they were Undercover Agents....Yea Right Undercover Agents of the 5150 Patrol if your Undercover you don't tell people your Undercover.
- Red Sedan vs a tree Telephone at East Clark driver seemed dazed, and had trouble exiting the vehicle. It could be a DUI or a Medical problem, but it could also be a Heat Stroke.
- Check the Welfare of a subject in a vehicle with the door open at Garden and Cabrillo a black Geo Metro.
- Overdose on Asprin Unable to Locate but checked an address in the 600 Block of East Victoria.
- Ill subject medical 300 Block of South Voluntario
- Drunk guy jumping into traffic WMA 50's Micheltorena and State street.
Scanner Reports Tuesday
- Medical call for a Choking infant 1100 Block of San Andres.
- Fall victim Head Injury SBCC.
- 8 Drinkers and Tokers near the 76 Station 200 South Milpas reported by PATH security they are doing their job.
- 1400 Block of Sea Meadow someone reporting a Homeless Camp on the other side of the tracks.
- Subject at the Casino has a warrant, never break the Law when you have warrants do as I say not as I do.
- Burglary 700 Block of Los Canolas victim left home for a bit came home to an open door. I heard the otter day that there might be a burglar working the area.
- 17 Year old suicidal female took allergy pills and drank wine possible overdose East Side.
- Ill male with knee pain 300 Block of South Voluntario.
- Suspicious female attempt to refill a prescription filled on Monday at Sansum, SBPD has more info.
- BOLO Santa Maria 10851 Stolen Auto 2006 Grey BMW 325 Part Ca. Plate 5VUX??? SBSO has the rest.
- Vehicle rollover 101 Northbound at Padero vehicle rollover into the bushes.
- Allergic reaction to peanuts but I thought they said something else 500 Block of East Yanonali.
- Premises check 500 Block of Chapala.
- Medical for the rear of the IRC County Jail head injury code 2 Medics.
- Death in a residence in Hope Ranch rest in peace.
- SBPD on Foot Patrol 1100 Block of State street.
- Smoke seen on the 800 Block of APS From a fire in Ventura County.
- Code 40, Drunk down on a bus bench 7 South Milpas near Carls Junior.
- Premise check Silly Hall.
- Assault 400 Block of State street.
Will that is all outta me for now it's too damn hot in here no air conditioning just a fan Have a great HUMP DAY! Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Fish Head One, Clancy, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Brad, Billy, Jonathan, C.J., Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Cory, Diana, Jim, Marty, Cop John, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Rambo, Sherry, Isabelle, Jerry, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Tom Petty and Chris Willing we will see you on FRYday.
Oct 25, 2017 04:28 PM
Why would anyone laugh about someone being allergic to peanuts, it can kill them.
Oct 25, 2017 04:46 PM
It's 110 Degrees in my house no relief my brain is frying I'm not high I hear this medical call, "Allergic reaction to peanuts" real fast...What does it sound like say it real fast 3 times....
Oct 25, 2017 02:45 PM
The allergic to peanuts call made me laugh out loud.
Oct 25, 2017 09:20 AM
Thanks for those tips I accidently dumped a cup of water in the fan the other day and thought for sure I was going to get Zapped from Hell and back...heeheehee I stayed away from the thing for awhile....Healthier to drink water 2 gallons on Tuesday not healthy to drink so much but it kept me comfortable.
Oct 25, 2017 08:29 AM
By the way, Roger, if you put a pan of ice water in front of the fan it increases the cool air.
Oct 25, 2017 09:03 AM
take a soaking wet hand towel, lay flat in the freezer for 30 mins....put on the back of the fan (not covering it all of course), instant low budget cooler....worked in hot Oklahoma summers! :)
Oct 25, 2017 08:28 AM
Roger, Thanks for reminding us to drink water. It's your past reminders that prompt me to not forget. Glad you are remembering too!