Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity

Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity title=
Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity

By edhat staff

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department (PHD) is focusing on equity as they roll out COVID-19 vaccine allocations throughout the county.

During a press conference Friday afternoon, PHD Director Dr. Van Do-Reynoso stated there are "concerning" data trends centered on vaccine equity at the local level.

Approximately 48% of the county's population are Hispanic but of those vaccinated, Hispanics only account for 20%. She continued to state PHD is committed to ensure all residents have equal access to get a vaccine and her department has partnered with various community groups to reach vulnerable populations.

The county has received 135,400 vaccine doses and 82.4% of those have been administered. A significant increase in vaccine allocation is expected next week.

Previously Governor Gavin Newsom stated the color-coded tier system, named "Blueprint for a Safer Economy," could be gone by early May as more people become vaccinated. Public Health Officer Dr. Henning Ansorg confirmed we are at a level where quite a few people have the opportunity to get vaccinated with more vaccines on the way. He feels optimistic about the May 1st projection that the vaccine could be available for anyone who wants it.

However, case rates are continuing to plateau and that has officials concerned. Dr. Ansorg said he would like the numbers to go down more continuously but it's not to a degree that alarms him. With the outbreak growing in Europe he said this is a reminder that we still have significant disease transmission in the community and everyone must still follow the guidelines.

Friday's Numbers

On Friday, PHD reported 43 new cases and one death. The individual was 70+ years of age and had underlying medical conditions. The death was not associated with a congregate care site and resided in Lompoc.

There have been 435 deaths in the county since the beginning of the pandemic last year.

Currently, there are 195 active cases. Of those, 38 are hospitalized including 15 in the intensive care unit.

Santa Barbara County achieved Red Tier status earlier this week, read more about what this means here.

More data can be found at publichealthsbc.org/status-reports.

bosco Mar 23, 2021 04:31 PM
Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity

By now anyone 70+ should have been vaccinated. That should alleviate a future hospital surge. At this point it's just about getting it out to anyone. People keep treating this individually. I need to protect MYSELF. It's not about the individual, it's about the community and reducing community spread. Unless you're holed up in your home you should be getting the vaccine by any means necessary as soon as possible. That's the best way to protect us all. If you try hard enough you can find an appointment, I know plenty of people that have.

Shasta Guy Mar 21, 2021 10:57 AM
Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity

The goal should be to vaccinate as many people as quickly as possible. Adding racial, social, and other identity politics tags as a prerequisite for vaccination will result in preventable illnesses and deaths.

letmego Mar 24, 2021 12:10 PM
Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity

I'm nearing that age group. Trying to wait, patiently. While I could probably manage to be vaccinated if I tried hard, I haven't. I'm fine with teachers being ahead of me, and older people, and people with co-morbidities (I have none of these). But please, can we hurry it on up?

I'm a middle aged white lady...I can google, get on text lists, sign up, drive anywhere in the county to get shots. If you want to level the playing field and get more of the under-served vaccinated, you gotta do something else. Make it easier. Go to their workplaces, their towns, set up clinics in their neighborhoods and on weekends.

I mean, I can wait and all (and have been), but I've got friends all over the country my age who have already been vaccinated. Every time you add another requirement, it's going to just slow things down for everyone.

JB86 Mar 19, 2021 11:31 PM
Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity

It is a shame that allocation of vaccines has become politicized. Interest groups have leaned on politicians for their constituencies, diverting shots to their clients. I know 70 year-olds who still haven't got their shots, while 25-year old cannabis industry people (masquerading as 'medical' workers') and young teachers have. It is unfortunate, and likely fatal for some vulnerable people.

a-1616211086 Mar 19, 2021 08:31 PM
Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity

Occupation: Manual laborer
Occupation: Farmhand
Occupation: Caregiver
Occupation: Gardener

Yup, those all sound color blind to me.

ConservativeSB Mar 19, 2021 07:18 PM
Public Health Focuses on Vaccine Equity

That's exactly what they don't want... Pretty easy to draw the lines on this one. When a political party, that dominates this region, says they wont trust a vaccine created by the previous administration, its hard to be shocked that people are reluctant to get the vaccine. Age should be the #1 priority followed by pre-existing conditions that are known to be comorbidities.