Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit title=
Updated by Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office
9:00 a.m., December 20, 2018

Wanted Suspect Arrested Behind Elementary School Following Pursuit

Just after 4:00 p.m., December 19, 2018, Sheriff’s deputies observed a vehicle in the area of Fairview Road and Hollister Avenue in Goleta that matched the description of a vehicle involved in a pursuit with deputies the prior night in Summerland. There was concern that the suspect may be armed. When the deputy attempted to pull the vehicle over, the suspect fled and drove recklessly into the unincorporated area of Santa Barbara County near Highway 154.

A Santa Barbara County Air Support helicopter and a K-9 team responded to assist in the search and apprehension of the suspect. Santa Barbara Police Department and California Highway Patrol officers responded to assist as well. The Air Support crew was able to provide detailed information regarding the suspect’s movement as he attempted to evade authorities. The suspect drove into the Hope Elementary School Parking lot and when he hit a dead end, he jumped out of the vehicle and ran through a field behind the school and through a residential area. Due to the possibility that there was an armed suspect on school property with children present and adjacent to a residential area, an alert was sent out requesting residents to shelter in place. Fortunately, the suspect was quickly apprehended by Sheriff’s deputies. During a subsequent search of the suspect’s vehicle, a BB gun pistol was located.

The suspect has been identified as being 46-year-old Michael McCann of Montecito. He is booked at the Santa Barbara County Jail on charges of felony pursuit and he is being held on $75,000 bail.

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
4:02 p.m., December 19, 2018

High-speed pursuit by SB Sheriff's Deputies of an armed suspect at Hollister and Fairview.

a-1568687393 Dec 21, 2018 09:41 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

Seriously though, do people who have high paid lawyers have the option to keep their mugshots out of the local press? I mean, we get mugshots of the poor schmucks who get busted for hiring a prostitute and other really low level "crimes," yet this guy, who endangered the lives of hundreds of people and then children at a school, doesn't have his mug posted?? I'm always the first to call out race-baiters, but this seems to be a pretty clear case of entitlement / privilege.

PurpleBee Dec 20, 2018 11:44 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

I understand how frustrating this was to those in other areas, and totally agree this blanket warning needs attention, but hearing the sirens and the whoop whoop of the helicopters blades just outside my home, I was happy for the warnings. Of course at the time I thought the warnings were great, as in sent out to our affected area, and I was thankful for the heads up. This whole warning thing, while good to just a small portion of the areas covered this time, has great potential if they ever get the bugs out.

rraborist Dec 20, 2018 02:33 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

I used this guy as day laborer for a couple days a year or so ago. I went on vacation and returned to have my shop broken into and about 10k worth of chainsaws stolen. He was main suspect. Probably traded my hard earned tools for a night fix. He is bad news. Throw the book at him and keys away!!

a-1568687393 Dec 20, 2018 11:44 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

I was driving eastbound on Cathedral Oaks just east of Tucker’s Grove when this fool went over the double yellow line and passed me and the two cars in front of me. He nearly got in a head-on collision with a car heading west. I wasn’t finished cussing him out for endangering our lives when I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw the sheriff’s pursuit car right behind me. Glad they got the jerk and hope he’s off the streets for a long time. Those crying about getting the alerts and the helicopter noise need to chill out.

a-1568687393 Dec 20, 2018 10:51 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

Is this the same Mike McCann who was arrested about five years ago who was wearing a complete nun's habit and the trunk of his car was chocker-block filled with stolen ladies underwear?

ZeroHawk Dec 20, 2018 09:33 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

according to the info i've received, he wasn't armed, and wasn't the robber. however, pursing someone at high speeds in neighborhoods and city streets isn't OK. The sheriff department, CHP, and SBPD all know this and know that they are liable as well if they harm or kill someone. There is no need to engage in a high speed pursuit like this, and in this situation. they had all of his info. Very unsure why they didn't put the ghetto bird up, that was a poor move on their part to take so long. using an unmarked car is bad also. This is all knee jerk reaction and typical cop gang mentality. 2 cruisers, 1 bird. That's all it takes. Engaging someone like this, causes them to speed up. This type of scenario has killed innocent people in the past. This isn't excusing the bad guy from just being a total asshat and reckless driving seems the norm around here lately. These are reasons i try not to drive around this town/county unless i must do so. Glad everyone is ok, but seriously...next time, think about better ways and safer ways to apprehend someone. I lost a very close friend in Camarillo during a high speed police chase in a residential area. The cop car slammed into my friends car, on his way to play golf on a sunday morning. He left 3 kids and a wife behind. No lights, 68mph in a 30mph zone. Why was he chasing someone? Because the guy rolled through a stop sign....

ZeroHawk Dec 21, 2018 09:29 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

if someone is chasing me, i'm running too...and probably don't know why. it's instinct. probably....i'm not him, so i don't know. yes, the driver is a serious @-hole. i just don't appreciate high speed chases in residential areas. there are other means to get a bad guy. 1 bird in the air is really all it takes. can't out run a radio either. engaging people like him in a pursuit just leads to a bad situation. knee jerk reactions.

Roger Dec 20, 2018 10:06 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

A bb gun pistol was located in his vehicle now that's interesting cause the gun in the pictures during those rubberies looked like a bb gun pistol to me it looked way to big to be a real gun...Just another kid who likes to play games...

Roger Dec 20, 2018 10:00 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

If he wasn't armed or the robber or wanted by the police why did he not Yield to the police officer on Tuesday Evening in Montecito? Maybe he was DUI? Of course since he got away Tuesday evening maybe we will never know. When a police officer turns on his lights and siren drivers are required to pull over there were many witnesses as to this guys crazy driving on Wednesdauy why did he recklessly speed down the bike paths? Why did he almost cause accidents at intersections like Turnpike and Hollister WHY DID HE NOT JUST PULL OVER? I don't buy blaming the police here...He should not only lose his license he ought to have to pay for all the wasted resources.

Roger Dec 20, 2018 08:51 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

N.H. has an article with the guys identity maybe not the robber maybe just likes to play dangerous traffic games should not have a license probably out of jail by now.

CoastWatch Dec 20, 2018 08:25 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

The perps who run from the cops in 4000lbs speeding vehicles need to be charged with "attempted murder" on public streets. Until that happens, high speed chases with very little legal consequences will continue- Oh yeah, he'll get to vote in the next election too...

Red Creek Dec 20, 2018 08:13 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

The Sheriff's office needs to get its act together regarding emergency alerts. Period. These alerts are so common, pernicious, out of area and not relevant to 99% of receivers that we have turned off the alerts on our phones. This is a statewide problem, however. In the bay area when visiting we received up to 4 screeching "amber alerts" on our phones, several a day, for situations 100's a miles from our location.

a-1568687393 Dec 20, 2018 08:12 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

I was stopped at a red light while driving south on Hollister when this guy passed me at high speed on the right in the bicycle lane and the proceeded to speed through two red lights. But the only police I saw prior to that were going north at high speed. It was lucky that he didn't kill someone from the way he drove past me! I was glad when the announcement came that he had been caught.

Roger Dec 20, 2018 08:30 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

If you were at Turnpike or near it I heard there was an Unmarked unit behind him then and that was the guy I believe who discovered he was taking the bike lanes.. It was a confusing chase because they did not have the copter up yet so they could not see his alternative routes...As far as a CONFIRMATION of store rubberies all they said is he was wanted for 211 with a gun that was over the radio during the chase they did not say who his victim, or victims were..

Roger Dec 20, 2018 07:33 AM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

I never heard of anyone rubbing any stores is that like some kinky sex thing? Rubbing a store at Gun Point now that's a new one I'm pretty sure if you just rub a store that would be OK but if you do it at gun point you could get shot the police might not understand...Say What are you smoking anyway?

Potif Dec 19, 2018 07:29 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

Since a lot of people aren't at their home (working, shopping, etc), having an alert that covers more area than one's dwelling could be life saving.

Roger Dec 19, 2018 06:52 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

Last night I was in bed fell asleep for a second with the scanner on her SBSO talking about a dark blue Chevy Tahoe with black rims driver was described at the time as a white male adult ...Took off from one unit and got away there were code 5 Stakeout units all over the place I shut off the scanner and went back to sleep. I totally forgot about this guy till I heard this pursuit today Last night the want was 148pc Obstruction. One deputy had his plate through and from last night until this afternoon must have figured out who he was... I heard 211 Suspect with a gun Hispanic male adult former airport dispatcher not sure what this was exactly but I figured that maybe this guy was the robber they were looking for and maybe he was going to hit somewhere last night when he was spotted foiling his plans.. Some people must have rocks in their head to think they are going to get away sooner or later you keep busting the law your gonna get busted...I had a really rough day today it will probably continue for a bit couldn't figure out why I could not go to the store, suddenly there was the pursuit and I knew why I couldn't get out of the house... I'm glad they got this guy he was dangerous and very unpredictable they might have messed up on the alerts but for the most part our law enforcement did a great job of capturing this guy. Once an officer figured out he was traveling on the bike paths this guys number was up and copter one did a great job too...We got the best Cops!

Yeti Dec 19, 2018 06:52 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

Matt, don't know why you are attacking me. If you disagree, the adult thing to do is talk your point. Don't be so juvenile. You can't deny how poorly this resource is being used. More precise and specific instead of blanket broadcasts over a 30 mile radius would build respect and better utilization.

Yeti Dec 19, 2018 06:36 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

The local officials really need re think how they utilize the important tool of emergency alerts. It can be very effective, but is obviously very poorly managed at this point. I for one have turned mine off. No more noise.

420722 Dec 19, 2018 06:28 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

As annoying as it is to receive an alert for something happening 20 miles away. I’d rather recive the alert than none at all. With that being said hopefully they can fine tune it down the road. Glad they caught the bastard.

LocalinSB Dec 19, 2018 06:14 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

From Hills of Montecito - 1st Message: Shelter in Place. 2nd Message: Emergency Alert: SEVERE. Suspect in custody no further danger. - MAKES NO SENSE!

a-1568687393 Dec 19, 2018 06:51 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

SEVERE Emergency Alert to say someone is in custody makes me think no one knows how to use the system. Totally botched unless you are one of a handful of people near the sirens. But then there were sirens!

LocalMatt Dec 19, 2018 06:08 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

I was at the Mobil gas station at las positas and modoc at the time that blue suv with the suspect turned toward the gas station from las positas. It was a blue Chevy suburban with larger rims. He almost lost control into the old emperors palace restaurant. His windows were dark tinted. Then I heard a boat load of sirens. My first reaction was let me check edhat.

pstarSR Dec 19, 2018 05:59 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

I got the alert 2 seconds after seeing a cop cruiser fly by on walnut ave. I don’t live in the area I was working. The alert worked great for me as I knew to be careful when I left the work site. People complain about not getting alerts then complain about getting alerts........ pick what you want gezzus. Glad they got em

a-1568687393 Dec 19, 2018 05:57 PM
Montecito Man Arrested After High-Speed Pursuit

From Noozhawk: "At 4:34 p.m., a Wireless Emergency Alert was sent out to cell phones all over Santa Barbara County, which said, "Pursuit ended in your area with police activity, shelter in place." Sheriff's spokeswoman Kelly Hoover said the WEA was sent out erroneously. A follow-up message was sent at 4:50 p.m. saying, "suspect in custody no further danger." "

Pages