Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again title=
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

By Mike Eliason, Santa Barbara County Fire Department

The Hope Ranch “Volcano” (actually a solfatara) which is a naturally occurring geological phenomenon for the area, first noticed in the 1800’s, was at it again igniting a very small amount of hillside brush.

No injuries or structures threatened.

[Call time was at 11:08 a.m. Wednesday]

Channelfog Jul 29, 2021 11:57 AM
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

While it is only about a third of that, I feel that it is much better going down to the beach rather than climbing back up. Unfortunately the dogs pull on the way down and not on the way up!

NostraChumash Jul 29, 2021 10:16 AM
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

It's a " nickname"..get it?
Do you think anyone called Jesus "Chewie"?!..
Get over it.

Emmenanthe Jul 29, 2021 09:34 AM
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

Why does EdHat continue to promote the unfortunate, sloppy, and completely wrong volcano analogy? No magma or molten rock involved here. It's just oil in the Monterey shale rock that catches fire sometimes. Nothing to do with volcanos.
Monterey shale is the pale, sedimentary rock that is exposed on the cliffs at the beach. We all know about the oil-bearing shale right? Around here, the organic material (gas, oil, and tar) in the rock is "sour" - meaning it smells bad because it gives off hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell).

a-1627580634 Jul 29, 2021 10:43 AM
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

Channel, feel free to alert the County Fire Department, Independent, Noozhawk, KSBY, and every other outlet of their ignorance as well.

Channelfog Jul 29, 2021 10:10 AM
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

We're come to learn that.... Solftara is a volcanic crater near Naples, ITALY (I didn't know that). We're come to learn about the incredible geological ignorance of the Edhat Staff! Burning, underground tar shale similar to coal fires in the town of Centralia (abandoned) not volcanic in any way. This is so not news, where is Dr Bob, former geology teacher at SBCC when we need him to teach the basics of local geology?

Edhat Staff Jul 29, 2021 09:38 AM
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

We're come to learn that this naturally occurring event is a solfatara, a volcanic crater emitting only sulfurous and other gases.

SBTownie Jul 29, 2021 09:23 AM
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

Doesn't seem to be affecting property values in the area, despite the noxious fumes 24/7 for a few years now. When I first smelled it, I thought the road was being resurfaced. This was before I learned about the solfatara. Every time I've passed through in the last couple years I've smelled it.

biguglystick Jul 29, 2021 12:18 PM
Hope Ranch Volcano At it Again

Nothing seems to affect property values. I'm hoping for a series of natural disasters so I can afford a home in my home land. :-(