Timeframe: October 29 – November 4, 2017
***Please note crews are making excellent progress on the new northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road. This coupled with the completed new northbound Highway 101 bridge over Carpinteria Creek means that near the middle of next week, traffic will shift onto the new bridge and the new northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will open early.**
Highway 101 night closures
- Between Tuesday and Thursday nights, northbound Highway 101 will have alternating lane closures beginning at 7:00 pm with all northbound lanes closed from 10:00 pm until 5:00 am between Bailard and Linden Avenues. The closures will allow crews to prepare lanes and then shift traffic onto the new northbound bridge and open the new off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road. Crews will also place falsework for the new Casitas Pass Road overcrossing during the closures. A signed detour will be in place using Bailard, Carpinteria, and Santa Ynez Avenues (see map below). Southbound Highway 101 lanes will remain open.
Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road
- Work is finishing up early on the new northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road. After crews finish paving and striping the ramp and parts of the new Via Real connection, northbound freeway traffic will be shifted onto the new Highway 101 northbound bridge over Carpinteria Creek and the off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will open.
The blue arrows above show the area of the new
northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road under construction.
Via Real will connect to Casitas Pass Road to the left of the image.
- During the remainder of the temporary closure of the northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road, a detour is in place using the northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Bailard Avenue continuing on Carpinteria Avenue to Casitas Pass (see the detour map below).
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- Highway 101 Bridges
- Northbound bridge: Guardrail will be installed, and then traffic will be shifted onto the new bridge later in the week. After traffic is shifted, the old bridge will be removed.
- Drainage improvements continue.
Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing
- Crews will continue setting falsework for the new overcrossing. Based on the requirements for setting falsework beams and the constrained working area, nighttime closures will be needed on Highway 101. After setting falsework, construction will begin on the underside of the bridge (soffit) and internal vertical supports (stems).
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Crews will continue form work and installing rebar in preparation for a concrete pour for the mountain-side support (abutment).
- Sections of the new Via Real connection will be paved throughout the week.
- Drainage and irrigation work continues for the new on and off-ramps at Casitas Pass Road, median, shoulder areas, and along Casitas Pass Road near the construction yard.
- Crews will continue rebar work and then pour concrete for footings on the new retaining wall on southbound Highway 101 between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road. This work precedes upcoming sound wall work.
- The Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass will be closed throughout the week from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm for large equipment.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed for bridge work. There is a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure that runs between San Roque Mobile Estates and Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, and City Hall) between 7:30 – 9:00 am and 2:00 – 5:30 pm every half hour. Please see on-site shuttle signs for more schedule information or click on: http://www.sbroads.com/
Upcoming Work: Fall 2017
- Sewer realignment work in preparation for the Nipomo Drive sound wall.
- Carpinteria Valley Water District will install a new water line on Linden Avenue in preparation for the new Linden Avenue Overcrossing. Once the overcrossing is built, the water line will be connected over the new bridge.