Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission title=
Governor Gavin Newsom (courtesy photo)

Source: Office of Governor Gavin Newsom

As COVID-19 cases sharply increase across the country and California, Governor Gavin Newsom and state public health officials announced immediate actions today to slow the spread of the virus. The state is pulling an emergency brake in the Blueprint for a Safer Economy resulting in 94.1 percent of California’s population in the most restrictive tier. This change is effective tomorrow. The state will reassess data continuously and move more counties back if necessary. California is also strengthening its face covering guidance to require individuals to wear a mask whenever outside their home, with limited exceptions.

“We are sounding the alarm,” said Governor Newsom. “California is experiencing the fastest increase in cases we have seen yet –faster than what we experienced at the outset of the pandemic or even this summer. The spread of COVID-19, if left unchecked, could quickly overwhelm our health care system and lead to catastrophic outcomes. That is why we are pulling an emergency brake in the Blueprint for a Safer Economy. Now is the time to do all we can – government at all levels and Californians across the state – to flatten the curve again as we have done before.”

The rate of growth in confirmed COVID-19 cases is faster than it was in July, which led to a significant peak in cases. This requires a swift public health response and action from all Californians to slow the spread of the virus. Immediate action will help protect individuals at higher risk of severe illness or death from COVID-19 and will help keep the state’s health care delivery system from becoming overwhelmed.

“The data we are seeing is very concerning. We are in the midst of a surge, and time is of the essence. Every day matters and every decision matters,” said California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly. “Personal decisions are critical, and I am I imploring every Californian to stay home if they can, wear a mask whenever they leave their homes, limit mixing, practice physical distancing and wash their hands.”

The 28 counties moving back into Tier 1(Purple/Widespread) include:

The nine counties moving back into Tier 2 (Red/Substantial) include:

Colusa Marin Plumas
Del Norte Modoc San Francisco
Humboldt Mono San Mateo

The two counties moving back into Tier 3 (Orange/Moderate) include:

Calaveras Sierra

Today’s action will remain in effect until the State Public Health Officer determines it is appropriate to make modifications based on public health conditions and data.

California has taken steps to prepare the state for an increase in COVID-19 cases. The state has developed additional testing capacity to allow cases to be quickly identified, recently opening a new laboratory in Valencia that is already processing thousands of tests a day. The state is averaging 164,345 tests over the last seven days.

The state has been working in partnership with hospitals, clinics and physicians on the COVID-19 response. To support California’s health care delivery system, the state has an additional 1,872 beds available at alternate care sites outside of the system that can be made available quickly if needed to respond to a surge in cases.

California will continue to update the Blueprint for a Safer Economy based on the best available public health data and science. For more information about the Blueprint and what Californians can do to prevent the spread of COVID-19, visit covid19.ca.gov.

Related Article

November 16, 2020: Santa Barbara County Moves Back to Purple Tier

santabarbaraJRT Nov 18, 2020 09:06 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

today I opened the door to a sub driver for USPS. he was picking up, and I asked if he could bring me more bins. He told me they, the post office did not do that. Strange 15 years of daily pickups and shipping, but I said ok can you please put on your mask. I am at very high risk and recently had surgery. It was down around his chin. He gave me a nasty look and pulled it up under his nose. I said you have to cover your nose. He told me I could shove the mask up my a-- yes he did. Did I report it to DC I did. Should he wear a mask as mandated, yes he should. I guess he doesn't think it is real. Hard to flatten a curve that way

Andrea Smith Nov 17, 2020 02:36 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

I wear a mask, and believe in wearing them but honestly it worries me that 70% or so of people who tested positive reported regularly wearing a mask. My parents were chatting with a guy whose wife caught it and she only goes out for essentials and wears a mask. Maybe some of those reporting they wear masks are lying, but I do see more ppl here wearing masks than not and here we are back in Tier 1 b/c of spikes. I don't think this means we should not wear masks b/c any protection helps but, it does concern me that ppl seem to still be getting it, especially for my elderly parents.

letmego Nov 17, 2020 04:29 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

The problem with 70% regularly wearing a mask and getting COVID.
1. Regularly does not equal "always"
2. Regularly does not mean "at home". Most people "never go out" except for when they see that one friend or that small pod...and how much can you trust the pod?
3. Masks are most effective at preventing the person WITH COVID giving it to someone else. It's less effective if you are hoping you won't get it from someone else.
4. Even with #3, mask wearing reduces the viral load, when may lead to less severe cases.

Bene Nov 17, 2020 04:27 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

I've had the same thoughts Andrea. I think the reason people who wear masks contract the virus is because the vast majority of masks are not very good ones. A lot of what is being done is pure theater. If government really wants to help, N95 or equivalent type masks must be widely distributed and made available. Also, I feel badly for people who work in stores, etc. It is so hard to wear a mask for 8 hours that is really thick, tight and effective, so easy to understand why people wear real thin ones or let them slip.

Babycakes Nov 17, 2020 11:40 AM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

Hard to take the Gov seriously as he's the same person who used science to say that within the first couple months of this pandemic up to 25.5 million Californians were definitely going to be infected and a huge percentage of us would perish. Then he goes on an excursion to The French Laundry with a load of friends and other customers without a mask. He took a bit of heat, but that's not enough. Both of our senators Pelosi and Feinstein have been busted in public without masks as well. (According to Pelosi, she was set up by the "far right" when she had her locks lopped). Hey, I'm going to take care of myself and family, but how dare these "leaders" tell us to do what they won't do.

TeaMan Nov 17, 2020 08:43 AM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

Sad to see a people follow blindly the unlawful dictates of an authoritarian. We should be given updates and recommendations and we make decisions accordingly. Newssolini doesn't have the legal right to dictate these rules.
This is especially galling when he celebrates with many people himself and has his kids in private school with in-class teaching.

SB Barbarian Nov 18, 2020 12:36 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

"Newssolini doesn't have the legal right to dictate these rules." He does in a public health emergency, and this is that. Your freedom ends when when your irresponsibility causes others risk. If you were radioactive, you couldn't just go to a movie, for example. Same difference.

PitMix Nov 17, 2020 11:02 AM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

Newssolini? Didn't you get the extremist memo, it's supposed to be Newscum? He celebrated with 12 people from 4 households. There is no limit on the number at a gathering, but "Limit gatherings to no more than 3 separate households attend (including the host's)." https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/ But if you want to make it sound like he attended an IV kegger, that is consistent with the misinfo that you and your buddies propagate.

PitMix Nov 17, 2020 07:26 AM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

LFG, welcome to the extremist crowd here on Edhat. Too bad your Darwin theory isn't efficient enough to really weed out the anti-mask crowd before they can spread it to the rest of us at-risk people. Plus many probably have already pro-created so have passed their individualistic I-me-mine mindset to their kids. We all hang together, or we all hang separately.

PitMix Nov 17, 2020 02:09 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

LMG, that is terrible. Very sorry to hear this. My sister lost her boyfriend in May because he had a heart attack but was afraid to go to the hospital. By the time he went, it was too late and he died the next day. In this case it was more about his fear that a failure of the system but still a tragedy.

letmego Nov 17, 2020 09:23 AM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

PITMIX - my college buddy lost her mom yesterday. Not to COVID, no - to an infection due to a hip replacement. Why did this kill her? Because Texas hospitals are overwhelmed with COVID patients, and they had to hold her in rehab ... after 3 days she was so sick they had to move her to the hospital, and it was too late.

PitMix Nov 17, 2020 08:42 AM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

420, our halfway shutdowns are clearly not working. Hospitals have more covid patients than ever. I had one strain of it, I survived it, so I figure I probably won't die if I get the other strain going around. But I feel sorry for the people who are losing relatives to this because they really miss them. I will do whatever easy or semi-hard stuff Fauci recommends to try and help my community out.

a-1605579630 Nov 16, 2020 06:20 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

You don't seem to have grasped the fact that the curve is dynamic. Yes, we flattened it, but then we opened up. No more flattening influence, and the virus did its thing, causing the curve to skyrocket again. You're seriously uninformed, to put it as mildly as possible.

LFG Nov 16, 2020 09:28 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

You mean when my parents put me in a bathtub with all my siblings so we could trust our immune systems to fight the virus off? They were uneducated buffoons. Only superbly intelligent people understand facts and their realities of Covid-19 facts are the realities of truth and those who disagree with their conclusions are "clearly idiots - for I myself am not an idiot. Therefore since you arrive a different conclusion than mine, LFG, you must be an idiot." After all, 2+2 is four and this is as simple as that. There's not possibly any other narrative related to Covid than governors looking out for our very best. As some guy in history once said, "When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use."

LFG Nov 16, 2020 06:12 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

"Facts." What a funny word in today's world of disinformation. FACT: "Just two weeks to FLATTEN the CURVE." FACT: We did in fact flatten the curve. the hospitals were not overwhelmed. We did the mission. FACT: Mission changed from flattening the curve to eradicating a virus, something we still haven't done with polio and we've been trying for 100 years (The multibillion-dollar global effort to eradicate polio hasn't just stalled. It's moving backward according to NPR). FACT: We have viruses around us, among us and it has been so for 1000s of year. I'll trust my immune system to get this one. But with your facts you can stay in your house. With my facts I choose to take the "risk". According to the natural laws of selection and evolution, the rest should take care of itself. Fact or fiction?

a-1605599129 Nov 16, 2020 11:45 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

Let's take your train of thought (Thought may be an overly generous term, but we'll use it for convenience.) to its logical conclusion: Why even have a medical profession? Just let people die. And those other accoutrements of civilization like houses and clothes? They just delay the inevitable.

Voice of Reason Nov 17, 2020 08:27 AM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

PSTARR it isn't the mask, it's these idiotic non science based requirements like wearing a mask when you're outside unless you're eating or drinking then it's "safe" to not wear a mask? The government has gone overboard with their micromanaging control trip, even that wouldn't be so bad if it actually worked, but it isn't working and it isn't because of the few mask rebels.

420722 Nov 17, 2020 12:30 AM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

11:51 What you’re really saying is, if we don’t allow the media to control our thoughts and ONLY follow the advice of scientist & doctors that you approve of (even though there are just as many out there that disagree with lockdowns and certain protocols) we’re just bad people, dolts, fools, uneducated even. Got it.

420722 Nov 16, 2020 09:28 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

I’ll never wear a mask outside. Ticket me or fine me to death I don’t care. Humans were not meant to wear a mask. 2 weeks to slow the spread, 8 months later and over 75% mask compliance and we’re in a another spike? Give me freaking break. Now the CDC and Fauxci say even after vaccine distribution we will still require mask & social distance for an unknown period of time. How many times does the goalpost have to move for you people to wake and realize this is is not going to stop unless you make it stop.

Bene Nov 16, 2020 08:04 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

Mask up whenever outside your home or car? Wondering if this is supposed to include in your own yard? Seems like a walk on a street with no close people or your own yard should be okay to be without a mask. My doctor says its pretty hard to catch it outside, unless you are right by someone for a period of time. Of course with the density of housing in many neighborhoods your own yard or house might be less than 3 feet from neighbors. And the virus could hitch a ride on air blowing into your home from the neighbors. So if the ventilation of outside air doesn’t prevent viral contagion, seems the guidelines should be to wear a mask even in your own home in order to have low risk. What a fun life we all have ahead.

LFG Nov 16, 2020 05:25 PM
Governor Newsom Announces New Immediate Actions to Curb COVID-19 Transmission

This 99.98% recovery virus requires all of us give up every freedom we know and listen to King Newsom. #HailtheKing Americans are now left to beg politicians to let our kids go to school, for permission to eat dinner with other families and go into a store without a mask. I've got an idea. How about everyone who is scared of the virus lock themselves down and let the rest of us live? There's no one forcing you to come out. Is this now the drill for every virus that comes from the other side of the world (of which there's been at least 10x in the last 20 years). It's honestly ridiculous and has nothing to do with our health or with science. Next we're going to get locked in our house because global warming requires us all to sit tight for 45 days....

Pages