City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project title=
Deputy Public Works Director James Campero and Assistant Engineer Michael Winnewisser

Source: City of Goleta

LED lights will be coming to Goleta streets in late summer/early fall. The City will be replacing more than 1,300 High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) streetlight fixtures throughout Goleta with new energy efficient LED streetlights. Watch our new video explaining this project featuring Public Works staff.

The video is available in English (https://youtu.be/6zgKww9XIiQ) and Spanish (https://youtu.be/j9-r-2zLi9Q). The new lights will save the City money, require less maintenance, provide clearer lighting and are better for the environment. The project is expected to save Goleta over 345,000 kilowatt hours and approximately $115,000 in energy costs in the first year after the project is implemented.

Design maps are an important part of the project, they show the existing and proposed streetlight fixture wattages throughout the City, as well as other project design considerations and recommendations. Please check out the proposed design maps now available on the City website atwww.CityofGoleta.org/LEDStreetlights.

We encourage the public to review the video and the project design maps and reach out to City staff with any questions or comments regarding the LED Street Lighting Project. Public Works staff is also organizing a virtual informational meeting currently scheduled for June 22, 2021, at 6:00 p.m. to discuss the project and answer any questions the public may have. Stay tuned for more details.

The project will be going to City Council on July 20, 2021, for final approval and to seek authorization to start the streetlight fixture conversions.

Please contact Project Manager Michael Winnewisser at (805) 690-5120 or [email protected] for any questions or additional information.

sacjon May 14, 2021 12:08 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

12:02 - I'm going to chain myself to the light pole on my block. I am NOT letting them put in one of those eye-scorching, ridiculously over bright lights on my block. I am writing the City today to tell them a big fat NO.

SBTownie May 14, 2021 03:23 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

Sac, if I were you I'd do the same. We had major issues after a sodium lamp was switched out in a previous neighborhood in an apt. When looking for a house to buy, one of the reasons we passed on an option we loved was that the street-facing master bedroom was completely flooded with inescapable cold LED light. It was depressing thinking you'd have to completely black our your bedroom on a quiet residential street just to escape the blaring lights.

a-1621060134 May 14, 2021 11:28 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

(Read this post in a whisper, in tiny font size: I don't even discuss it in hopes of not having to address it in my neighborhood, across from my bedroom window.
I hope I do the same to protest! Thank you! I will at the least call and write and make my voice heard. Which is not likely to have any effect when it's not one's jurisdiction -- see the national political situation. But such issues affect all of us eventually! Thank you for your efforts.)

PitMix May 14, 2021 01:00 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

Local governments seem deaf to arguments about the effect the LED lights have on people and animals. Maybe they will listen to this one- Don't we need to turn streetlights off to save energy during the time when the least amount of renewable energy can be generated? Or at least put motion sensors on them to turn them on when people or cars are around? What is the point of having them on when no one is using the light they generate? And studies show that the lack of street lights does not increase crime, so maybe we can follow the science on that. "A 2015 study published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health found that streetlights don't prevent accidents or crime, but do cost a lot of money."

SBTownie May 14, 2021 03:22 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

I'd have to look into the environmental effects of lights switching on and off (both for humans and wildlife, could make ya crazy if you think about it). Otherwise Pit you are right on. This is such a misguided project. Great intentions, horrible results.

macpuzl May 14, 2021 03:27 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

In the still image you can easily see the amount of glare these poorly-shielded lights produce, which totally wipes out your night vision. You can see a stark shadow cast by the light in front of them, too. Not friendly lighting at all.

SBTownie May 14, 2021 03:27 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

Do any other drivers find that a network of patchy LED lights actually makes driving at night harder? The eye struggled to switch between a blazing bright cold field of light to darkness. LEDs are more concentrated (not sure what the scientific terminology is here) or these lamps are more directional or something than the sodiums. The effect is the eye struggles to go between dark and ultra-bright. I get flooding a major highway or other big traffic area, but otherwise, these are such a waste. Major disruption for wildlife (from insects including essential pollinators to animals and birds who hunt at night), humans (circadian rhythms plus just the ugliness of it all), and they'll be telling us these are somehow obsolete 10 years from now and they'll ask us taxpayers to fund yet another upgrade to these hastily chosen lamps. Light pollution is a MAJOR environmental hazard. LOOK IT UP. And why in god's name do we need to light every street and neighborhood? It's NIGHTTIME. Let there be darkness. As Pit correctly pointed out, these do not deter crime. There may even be evidence they increase it. Enough with the poorly thought out and poorly researched wastes of money masquerading as progress.

a-1621061152 May 14, 2021 11:45 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

I haven't reviewed studies, but I'm sensitive to the subject since I had minor issues driving at night since the early 90's.

I gotta urge people with such issues to talk with an optometrist and/or opthamologist.

And some of us are just very sensitive to sense input.

Zenyatta19 May 14, 2021 06:15 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

My neighborhood had two streetlights for 45 years. They were on existing utility poles and were the orangish color. They are fairly low and not on all the time. Now one of these new LED lights has been erected on a huge concrete pole because of a new subdivision. It is blinding and horrible. It is on all night and is disturbing to this semi rural area. These lights are horrible.

Minibeast May 14, 2021 07:29 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

These brighter lights interfere with night sky viewing. When I contacted agencies here in Santa Barbara I discovered it's all about this being the "less expensive" option. Too bad there is nothing to be done about this travesty.

a-1621061605 May 14, 2021 11:53 PM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

I searched quite a few phrases before ending up at mostly astronomer's light pollution links, as I looked for darker sky supporters.

This is a hidden issue that seems to only be addressed by affected, small neighborhoods.
Beside the star gazers.

In other words, there's very little public awareness, very little public engagement, and worst of all, very little public support.

Good luck to those who care, including me.

Check out

and neighborhood quality associations (many of whom are pro-bright light...)

photodude May 15, 2021 11:42 AM
City of Goleta Releases New Video on LED Street Lighting Project

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, I sent Michael Winnewisser an email in response to their requested survey on replacement street lights. My response is too long to include here. In short, I said:

Last night, I went over to the Cannon Green area and looked at the four different street lights (A, B, C, and D), and photographed them in multiple exposure settings. I really couldn't tell much difference either by eye, or form the photos.

A survey where the choices are a small subset of available LED light colors is not a valid survey!

I'm an astrophotographer, and astronomer. I used to be able to do astrophotography from my deck. No more! LED light pollution has changed the night sky from black to milk colored. Now, I have to travel away from Goleta to view the night sky with my 11" telescope and to do astrophotography.

LED street lights are available in many colors. The bright white ones generally start out with a very bright blue LED, which is coated with a phosphor that fluoresces and spreads out the light spectrum to look white. Spectral analysis of the resulting light shows a very large blue peak with a broad light spectrum going toward the red. Broad band illumination cannot be filtered out (like sodium vapor can). That blue LED light scatters off the pavement (16% reflective), goes up into the upper atmosphere, and gets scattered again. Our atmosphere scatters blue light. That is why the sky is blue!

Don't listen to the LED manufacturers as to what is best. They have a very narrow focus ($$$). Please talk to people who have been there and have done that. Please don't repeat there errors.