Alamos Fire Caused by Tractor Mower
By edhat staff
The Santa Barbara County Fire Department (SBCFD) confirmed the cause of the brush fire near Los Alamos this weekend was due to a tractor mower.
An individual was mowing dried vegetation and brush with a tractor mower on Saturday, September 26 at approximately 3:00 p.m., when the metal blades sparked the brush.
The fire grew to 6.5 acres and prompted an evacuation of the SkyView Motel in Los Alamos as the fire made a run up the hill.
Fire crews responded to the scene with a helicopter and dozers and performed structure protection which resulted in halting forward progress.
There were no injuries or structures affected.
The individual was cited for operating a mower in dry vegetation and burning land that is not their own, according to SBCFD.
SBCFD provided safety tips as reminders for residents to safely operate equipment in wildland areas. The tips are:
Never use mowers with metal blades in dry vegetation, use weed trimmers with nylon string.
Mow before 10 am, and never mow during critical weather conditions.
Ensure your tractor, mower, and equipment is equipped with an approved spark arrestor.
Have a water extinguisher and 46 inch round tip shovel readily available.
Keep a phone nearby to call 911 in case of an emergency.
September 26, 2020: 6.5 Acre Fire in Los Alamos