2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market  title=

By an edhat reader

At the Farmers Market in downtown Santa Barbara on a windless Saturday morning, shoppers and vendors were in close proximity to each other and the fresh food being sold there. Although the market had posted Covid-19 warning signs calling for 6’ social distancing, there was no enforcement of that.

By contrast at most local grocery stores, the entrances are blocked by store employees who are gatekeepers managing the entrance of shoppers in line. Their goal is to spread shoppers out and manage the number of shoppers in the store, and presumably minimize the amount of Covid-19 germs airborne.

buckwheat Mar 22, 2020 08:57 AM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

The time has come for those of us who must leave home to shop for food and supplies to be adamant about social distancing. If someone invades your space, tell that person to "back off" and say it loud enough to alert others about the violation!

a-1590407940 Mar 22, 2020 07:56 AM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

onsequences : These are the accounts of a Louisiana ICU Respiratory Therapist .“It first struck me how different it was when I saw my first coronavirus patient go bad. I was like, Holy shit, this is not the flu. Watching this relatively young guy, gasping for air, pink frothy secretions coming out of his tube and out of his mouth. The ventilator should have been doing the work of breathing but he was still gasping for air, moving his mouth, moving his body, struggling. We had to restrain him. With all the coronavirus patients, we’ve had to restrain them. They really hyperventilate, really struggle to breathe. When you’re in that mindstate of struggling to breathe and delirious with fever, you don’t know when someone is trying to help you, so you’ll try to rip the breathing tube out because you feel it is choking you, but you are drowning. “When someone has an infection, I’m used to seeing the normal colors you’d associate with it: greens and yellows. The coronavirus patients with ARDS have been having a lot of secretions that are actually pink because they’re filled with blood cells that are leaking into their airways. They are essentially drowning in their own blood and fluids because their lungs are so full. So we’re constantly having to suction out the secretions every time we go into their rooms.” I do not want to catch .

lutra Mar 22, 2020 09:59 AM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Here's the direct link to the article for A-1584895755's post: https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients ProPublica is reputable and has won a few Pulitzers. One twitter account (https://twitter.com/yaletung) I like to follow is one by a doctor in Spain who has coronavirus. He posts lung scans every day along with a description of his symptom progression. It's highly technical (medically), so I don't understand everything he's saying, but it's interesting nonetheless. He's on day 14 so far.

jqb Mar 21, 2020 10:13 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

The NYT opinion piece by Dr. Katz posted in one of the comments is a cherry-picked minority view (to say the least) and is poorly thought out. And even on its on terms it's not possible: "So what is the alternative? Well, we could focus our resources on testing and protecting, in every way possible, all those people the data indicate are especially vulnerable to severe infection: the elderly, people with chronic diseases and the immunologically compromised. Those that test positive could be the first to receive the first approved antivirals. The majority, testing negative, could benefit from every resource we have to shield them from exposure." -- this is a huge population and the testing regime to do this does not exist. Some responses have been posted at https://twitter.com/DrDavidKatz/status/1241046118903021568

jqb Mar 21, 2020 10:02 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

13 identified cases in SB county now, 3 of the 4 new ones are younger than 50. https://keyt.com/health/coronavirus/2020/03/21/four-more-covid-19-cases-confirmed-in-santa-barbara-county/

a-1590407940 Mar 21, 2020 09:28 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Sadly they are going to have to institute martial law and then ppl will bitch and moan. These ppl are making it so that this will last longer and longer and really do major damage. I just cannot believe the selfishness of ppl this situation has brought to light.

EastBeach Mar 22, 2020 12:14 AM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Do you also want your retired parents to die from this virus? It's a horrible death - you essentially drown in bed ....... Will you be sad then as well?

a-1590407940 Mar 21, 2020 11:05 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Is something wrong with you? I feel sad for my retired parents whose few joys right now are being able to interact with others and enjoy a meal out. Not being able to leave your house under martial law is not easy for anyone. You will have total restriction of movement and police on the street enforcing it. You want that?

SBCountyLocal Mar 21, 2020 07:38 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

The Rose Garden MUST be closed. Less than 50% the people picnicking there today were practicing any type of social distancing. How the City could allow this is beyond me. The police should have been there to give these idiots a tongue-lashing separated them or make them leave. It's unconscionable that these idiots think that what they were doing today will not kill others. Utterly thoughtless.

EastBeach Mar 21, 2020 06:50 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

I did some scouting while riding my bike for exercise today. Strange to see almost all stores on lower/mid State St closed. Only Yogurtland and the liquor store @Haley/State were open. Very few tourists along the waterfront. Some people were BBQ'ing @Ledbetter but fewer than usual. Similarly few people @Shoreline Park. La Mesa Park was dead. There were normal numbers @Wilcox but everyone was distancing. Similar at the top of Elings Park - only the grazing sheep were not practicing social distancing - baaaahd sheep! :) Oak Park is usually full of people during the weekend but it was a ghost park (one couple playing tennis). I rode by Cottage and saw the big triage tent in the emergency room parking lot. There was one greeter standing at the entrance to the ERoom. Mission Park (aka the Rose garden) was the one disappointment. Lots of people congregating as if there were no pandemic. Also noticed an estate sale as I rode along APS (really?!). Overall a great day to get some exercise and scope things out.

biguglystick Mar 22, 2020 01:04 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

I cannot BELIEVE that Yogurtland, of all places, is still open! Very very irresponsible! Buffet formats are the WORST kind of place you want to be in a dangerous pandemic. Just wow.

EastBeach Mar 21, 2020 08:31 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

I suppose they could have been eschewing the normal self-service and preparing the yogurt for customers. But I rode past quickly so couldn't tell.

Shasta Guy Mar 21, 2020 06:44 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

It took Italy only 18 days to go from 28 deaths per day to 793 deaths per day (today). Now it’s full martial law for the nation. This thing turns bad fast. NYC is at 20 deaths so far today which is like Italy about 18 days ago.

EastBeach Mar 22, 2020 01:07 AM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Correlation between our numbers and Italy's. Not good ...... https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/20/21179040/coronavirus-us-italy-not-overreacting

a-1590407940 Mar 21, 2020 06:06 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Suppression is about fewer people in less space. It is not about being neurotic and measuring space. Remember, the 6 feet is an approximate of how far you need to be if someone sneezes. However, I think nobody's willing to stand 6 feet in front of a sneeze to tempt fate.

therealbebe Mar 22, 2020 01:39 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

This is found to be false. Stuffiness and sinus congestion can be a symptom of COVID-19. Since it is also regular cold and flu season, it's absolutely possible that one can have co-infections at the same time as well. Also, sneezing travels far. If one has ANY symptoms of illness, please stay home completely.

jqb Mar 21, 2020 09:37 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/86-of-people-with-coronavirus-are-walking-around-undetected-study-says/ "Using computer modeling, researchers tracked infections before and after the Chinese city of Wuhan’s travel ban. The findings indicated that these undocumented infections with no or mild symptoms — known as “stealth” cases — were behind two-thirds of the reported patients. “The majority of these infections are mild, with few symptoms at all,” Shaman said, Mercury News reported. “People may not recognize it. Or they think they have a cold.” These “stealth” cases were then able to transmit the bug that could cause severe symptoms in other people, according to the researchers."

Cadillackid Mar 21, 2020 05:29 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

I’m not even going to put in my 2 cents because I’ll just be downvoted, but I’m sure most of you would know how I feel about this. (Hand on my forehead, clean hand)

GauchoGurl Mar 21, 2020 05:21 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

I saw the same situation at Ralph's on Hollister, where they're only allowing 50 people at a time in the store , which is a good idea, but as far as the social distancing, the people in line outside are not keeping a 6 feet distance.

Luvaduck Mar 22, 2020 07:44 AM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Maybe it would be a good idea to give a cart to each person waiting in line to subtly enforce the not-too-close preventative measure? Some lines are practically <intimate> like the ones at TSA at airports.

GauchoGurl Mar 21, 2020 09:12 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

I guess I should have been more specific. They're not even 2 feet apart. They are closer together than if they would be if they were in line with shopping carts at the cashier check-out. The greater point is that social distancing is not being followed by the majority of people out and about.

a-1590407940 Mar 21, 2020 06:10 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Six feet apart is a generalization meant to avoid moisture cast from someone's mouth if they sneeze or cough. It's an approximate and point of reference.

gastil Mar 21, 2020 05:08 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

We went to Farmers Market right at opening. I liked that Shu (sorry I do not know spelling) offered a big box of assorted greens, root veggies, and leeks, pre-packed for $30, grab & go style. They had 6-foot spacing drawn with chalk to keep the line distant. Everything is stuff we eat, except some radishes I gave to my neighbor. I saw a sign that Roots was offering boxes too, at a different location. If they end up having to close even market then I hope they still offer the boxes. We took a lot of precautions before and after market but it is still the most exposed we have been since the at-home phase began.

Minibeast Mar 21, 2020 04:58 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Reality is: there are people, and there will always be these types, who think they're smarter, stronger, **special** and won't be affected/infected, no matter what the crisis. I sent Edhat an email this morning with a report of people standing hip-to-hip at a yard sale in the 1400 block of APS. Edhat has yet to post my report. If I'd had a photo, I would have asked for that to be posted as well. I am certain some here on Edhat will scoff and sneer and go into their usual "Do we REALLY need to snitch on the 'misbehavers?'" This deniers mindset is not acceptable. My friend (wisely keeping to other side of the street) walked past the group of a dozen or so bargain hunters, as he witnessed them huddled together inside a small garage. Other people were coming and going. He came home outraged that anyone could be so stupid and utterly irresponsible. It's not about these types risking infecting themselves; what do we care if it is only them who suffer for their folly? It's what their hubris means for the rest of us. It's the consequences of them ignoring distancing and what their foolhardy "we think it's all a bunch of hooey" attitude toward this pandemic may well cost us all. Did Governor Newsom issue a stay-at-home order on a whim? Do the smart thing: avoid interaction with others as much as possible, stay home if you can, and for chrissakes, do not think for one second that you are immune to this virus------no matter what your age or health status.

Luvaduck Mar 22, 2020 07:54 AM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Each person who irresponsibly gathers with others is another possible "case zero" in spreading this very contagious disease directly to people--including his family--and everything he touches. His behavior acts like a raindrop in a pond, every expanding circles of contagion.

EastBeach Mar 21, 2020 05:49 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

I happened to ride my bike past that estate sale and thought "who in their right minds would hold an estate sale during a pandemic!?"

Shasta Guy Mar 21, 2020 04:39 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Too close for comfort for me. I’m wearing a mask when I go to the store now. I’m thinking of putting a sealed tub in my car with soapy water so I can wash my hands ASAP after a public excursion.

Shasta Guy Mar 21, 2020 05:47 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

I will do whatever it takes to keep myself from getting the virus and bringing it back to the 5 other members of my household. If necessary, I will use my full face HEPA respirator from work to keep my family safe. Those refusing to become ultra cautious now will be the first in line at the triage tents at Cottage, followed by all their friends who did everything to live their lives to the best of their abilities in public. The mask was given as a handout to another family member in SF. My current greatest risk of getting the virus is breathing from someone else at a grocery store. 50% of the infected people in NYC are under age 49 who were not cautious enough when it seemed there were no sick people around them. Good luck Loose Cannon.

a-1590407940 Mar 21, 2020 04:03 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Love the Farmer's Market, but to tell the truth, I'd much rather go on a Sierra Club hike with a group of more than 20 people....rub-a-dub-dub, five peeps in a fake tourist tomol for the win.

LooseCannon Mar 21, 2020 03:55 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Reality check: Most people who contract COVID-19 will experience mild symptoms and recover completely. The people most at risk are the elderly and people with preexisting medical conditions. Those people should isolate themselves and rely upon social services and the generosity of family and friends. The rest of us, it seems to me, are conscientiously trying to practice social distancing, but there are people on this website (killjoys and little gestapo types) who seem to take perverse joy in social shaming people for the smallest infractions. Get a life, people. If you don't like what you see in public spaces, don't go there. You can live in fear and loathing. Leave the rest of us to go about our everyday lives to the best of our abilities.

biguglystick Mar 22, 2020 01:29 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

LOOSE CANNON, Your comments are irresponsible, presumptuous and insulting. I am far from wealthy, not elderly, and do not own even a mobile home, much less a house or "Montecito estate". I work in the service industry and I have NO family to step in and fund me while we wait this out. I'll be on unemployment, which barely covers a quarter of my living costs, here in Santa Barbara, where I am a native local, but I'll be grateful that I am not forced to go into work and be in close contact with all kinds of people, putting my own life at risk. Whatever your walk in life, know that you are NOT immune to this disease, and if you're putting your financial bottom line above your own life and the lives of others, you are part of the problem.

Minibeast Mar 21, 2020 08:41 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

LOOSECANNON-------I was about to add to the already 16 downvotes on your dumbass comment, but it feels right to just leave it be so others can enjoy your far from genius comeback.

LooseCannon Mar 21, 2020 05:51 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

Yes XANTUS and I would hazard a guess that most of the people commenting here are over 50, many of them retired. It can't be pleasant hearing that they need to self-isolate, until a vaccine is discovered and the virus mutates or dies out. Instead, they want EVERYONE to suffer, the whole economy to tank. Well, as a self-employed business owner, I'm not prepared to go along with this idiotic mentality that everything should shut down. It's all very well for a bunch of pols, salaried government workers, and wealth retirees to go for a complete halt to the economy, when they're collecting salaries, pensions, and Social Security, when it's people like me who are going to suffer the consequences. And the cavalry isn't coming to the rescue of the self-employed and small business owners, that's for damn sure. When all is said and done, I'm not prepared to sit back and watch wealthy retirees retreat to your Montecito estates and gated communities, hopping around to your second homes and cruise-ship vacations, acting like nothing happened, while the rest of us pick up the pieces. No way, grandpa.

Xantus Mar 21, 2020 05:39 PM
2’ is the new 6’ at the Farmers Market

not even that big of a group either... the edhat commenter pool contains, what.. less than 1% of the people who live here? I also took a stroll around town today, many people either do not watch the news or do not think its a risk... barely any "distancing" seen ;)

Pages