Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle title=
Reads 122050

By edhat staff

A video is going viral of a white woman in the Gelson's parking lot calling 9-1-1 claiming she feels threatened after she damages another person's vehicle and refuses to provide insurance.

The Instagram paged titled "Karen's Going Wild" published the video on Wednesday stating the woman called 9-1-1 on a Latin man stating he was "threatening her" after he asked for her insurance information.

The term "Karen" is a slang term for an obnoxious, angry, entitled, and often racist middle-aged white woman who uses her privilege to get her way or police other people's behaviors. In the past year, the term has gained traction as videos have gone viral showing white women engaging in racist acts, according to dictionary.com

It appears the video was captured in front of the Cox Communications building in the parking lot of the Gelson's market on upper State Street. The man who captured the video claims the woman damaged his vehicle as he shows a large scrape across the passenger side mirror and is refusing to provide her insurance information because he "looks a certain way."

"I do want to give you the insurance I just gotta call 911 first," the woman is heard saying on the video. She's then seen yelling at the man stating "I'm afraid of you" as he calmly asks for her insurance.

At the end of the video, the woman admits she doesn't have her insurance information. Under California Vehicle Code Section 16029, it is illegal to drive a vehicle without evidence of financial responsibility.

View this post on Instagram

“I’m afraid” #SantaBarbara #California This “Karen” seems to refused to produce her insurance info and instead called the police and said that she was being threatened - even when the video evidence shows otherwise. In the end she seems to admit to don’t having it. “Under California Vehicle Code Section 16029, it is illegal to drive a vehicle without EVIDENCE of financial responsibility. Typically, this is referred to as driving without insurance. This forms of financial responsibility MUST be carried with you in your vehicle at all times. In most cases, drivers carry a company-issued insurance card or paper that includes the driver’s name and information, and the insurance company’s name, address, policy number, and dates of coverage” https://www.wklaw.com/practice-areas/fight-traffic-ticket-california/driving-without-insurance-in-california/ | | | #pavelpaulinich #vote #karens #kevins #karensgoingwild #hispanic #karen #kevin #now #news #karensgonewild #video #videooftheday #post #hispanic #postoftheday #latin #latinx #chicano #latinosfortrump #mexicanamerican #cuban #latinos #racist #racism #america #mexicanamerican #mexican

A post shared by Karens Going Wild by Pavel P. (@karensgoingwilds) on

SandyS Jul 26, 2020 08:45 AM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

The camera was started at a convenient time , and under the control of this guy who is pushing his side of the story only. What happened before? Sorry but, there are always 3 sides to a story. Not fair to post this without the lady's side of the story. Maybe she has an anxiety disorder, maybe he did/said something that made her feel threatened. People are on edge these days. When are we going to hear from her?

lss Jul 24, 2020 05:48 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

A proverbial "Karen" does not have to be a racist to be called this name. For instance, many SB residents posting on Nextdoor or this site who snitch on small businesses or retail establishments because of some minor social distancing violation would fit this description, too.

Like other posters I don't think websites like Edhat should be posting this stuff online unless they know the entire story.

Schifter Jul 24, 2020 01:17 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

From now on, if you mistreat anyone who doesn't have the same race and sex as yourself, you are automatically a racist or a sexist. You are only allowed to mistreat people if they are the same race and sex as yourself! This is especially true for cops.

a-1595612718 Jul 24, 2020 10:45 AM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

I understand the history of racism and what experiences he may have had with small, older, white women that might bias his perspective. But he had an agenda that was obvious in his script/narration. Right off the bat he tells his potential audience that she is acting that way because of his skin color. Wow. Talk about prejudgment and cultural bias.
Yes, she could have behaved in a more calm manner.
As an older woman myself, I would be concerned about a man much bigger than I, approaching me WITHOUT A MASK, narrating while filming. I would back up away from him as well.
Nothing good has come out of the young man publicizing this minor incident. Instead, petty shaming and more divisiveness.

SB_Since_2014 Jul 24, 2020 08:52 AM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

We could all use a lesson in de-escalation. The gentleman filming has probably experienced racism in the past, which probably led to his reaction (filming) which the led to her reaction (hysterics). Has me wondering what could have been done early in the encounter to have avoided this ugly outcome.

rubyfoo Jul 24, 2020 08:14 AM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

Given her paranoia over Latin men, I dpn't think she falls in the Karen or liberal category. She probably imbibed Trump's famous: "They are not our friend, believe me," he said, before disparaging Mexican immigrants: "They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." I'd say she's more of a Betsy.

jsavell Jul 24, 2020 08:07 AM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

This woman shows no racism. She is distraught and cannot handle a situation that most of us could easily deal with. I would have opened my door slowly and seen whether it could have hit his mirror and if so, paid to have it fixed. But everyone handles things differently.

Jence Jul 23, 2020 11:30 PM

Wow.
One post has elicited myriad reactions!

The guy’s side-mirror housing on his vehicle got scratched by a negligent fellow patron within Loreto Plaza.

Happens all the time!!!!
Don’t get upset; exchange info and move on. No big deal!

And SO WHAT if their skin color is lighter or darker than yours—-consider them your relative.

Geez,,, is this how we really comport ourselves?

Shame on some of us.

Bene Jul 23, 2020 10:43 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

Why don't we all reconvene with our comments after the woman's side is heard? There may be something said or done off camera that we don't know about. I'm not comfortable judging someone solely based on a video taken by an opposing party. Of COURSE the man seemed calm and reasonable--he knew he was on camera and was in control of which portions are seen!

a-1595566176 Jul 23, 2020 09:49 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

She seems emotionally distraught and may have realized that she had no insurance. Weird to call the police in that case, irrational. I had a lady run into me in a parking lot. Car still crashed into my car while I stood there (I was loading groceries and she almost hit me). She got out of the car and asked me what happened. I told her you just ran into me. She said she didn't. So I had her come over and see the dent (her car was still in the dent). Oh, she said. When she backed out, the dent popped out. She gave me $100- bucks to paint the scratch and it was over. The moral of the story is that people can really freak out over nothing and get bizarre. I feel sorry for the cops these days with the covid craziness going on.

Life in SoCal Jul 23, 2020 08:14 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

He seems reasonable and he's not asking for anything he's not due. She's acting like a lunatic! She screwed up and hit his car, ok not much damage, but own up to it and exchange credentials and be done with it for gosh sake..... The Police or 911 shouldn't be bothered with this....

winter Jul 23, 2020 08:12 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

I don't have a strong opinion for either one of them...
She looks like a senior...I am sure a lot of folks know her.
I take care of seniors....have seen weird behavior, shopping at CVS, grocery stores, in the last few months.
A lot of women, alone, cutting lines, acting out.
This is a confusing time folks...people are starting to lose it.
Glad it was filmed though...he just asked for the insurance card...
No one should judge...

ChemicalSuperFreak Jul 23, 2020 08:02 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

Please look at the instructions on your auto-insurance card. The recommendation from a number of insurers, and AARP, is to call 911, police, highway patrol, etc. after an accident, even if it's minor and no one is hurt. There are a number of really good reasons to do this that have nothing to do with either of the driver's ethnicities or behaviors.

jak Jul 26, 2020 09:35 AM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

That may be AARP’s advice. But not necessarily the police force’s advice (barring injuries or other extenuating circumstances). Last accident I had was 25 years ago in Los Angeles. Major damage to the cat I hit. LAPD dispatch was totally unwilling to send an officer to the scene unless there were serious injuries. Local station offered to set me up with an appointment with a detective assistant at the station the following month to file the legally required report. Even my own insurance company wasn’t willing to get involved since the damages to my car were less than my deductible. So no, calling the cops for a routine fender bender is not necessarily the best thing to do.

Bene Jul 23, 2020 07:47 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

It's really "in" right now to find Karens and racism. Hunting for these witches is great fun at the moment. True racism must be called out of course. But much is at stake by being too quick to pass judgement, and always assuming that panicked behavior is race based. A personal anecdote, my middle aged aunt was detained by sheriffs up at redrock just because a guy she knew playfully cut in front of her car. She was forced to stand in the hot sun for hours while the cop checked out everything about her and him. She was afraid and called police to see if this could be a "rogue" sheriff and if they could help. They refused saying if that sheriff was doing it it must be okay. She was very afraid for her life, as they threatened her when she wanted to get in her car or stand in the shade. Such a strange episode, one would think there was a racial aspect if one assumes white privilege always operates. But this was not my aunt who is a person of color (I have one of those), but my white aunt. And the officers were white as well.

SBLetsGetAlong Jul 23, 2020 06:05 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

Shame on her, her behavior is ridiculous!
I hate assuming everything is racists as well. She said she was afraid of you, not why she was afraid. Perhaps it was because you’re young?
Hey, I’m trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Unfortunately racism & stereotypes are around. For example people have called me “snowflake”, whatever that means.
Either way racism is not acceptable no matter what race you are. From white, Hispanic, black, Asian. If you make a racist remark against another race, it’s racism and unacceptable.
We need to educate all races that racism is unacceptable .

dukemunson Jul 23, 2020 05:08 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

It's hard to tell from the video...it's obviously an incomplete picture. It could be as the guy narrates it to be or it could be something completely different that set things off. Impossible to tell. Everyone is on edge...a little bit off. We're mid pandemic! She could of course be completely crazy/wrong. She could just be flustered post (small) accident. Maybe the guy screamed at her before. Maybe her dog died. Maybe she remembered hearing that you should call the police after an accident. It's best to give people the benefit of the doubt...especially when the complete picture isn't available.

Frederick Jul 23, 2020 04:57 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

I must agree with Roger. She may have overreacted but that doesn’t necessarily make her a “Karen” or racist. She may have genuinely felt threatened whether it was warranted or not. We shouldn’t be quick to judge others actions. The Latino man does not appear threatening to me but that doesn’t mean he could be perceived as threatening to another person in that situation.

CPlocal Jul 23, 2020 04:10 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

Ha ha. Good laugh. But I don't think that she called 911 based on the fact that you are Mexican American. I think she called 911 because she was out of her comfort zone and couldn't cope. She probably doesn't have an independent bone in her body. She would probably benefit from some self-improvement courses, or not!

biguglystick Jul 24, 2020 12:25 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

Maybe he was calm, but he was pointing his camera phone at here and filming her. Who wants to be filmed in a crappy situation like this? Not me! Put that away. He did it for the clicks and she was just unhinged. I see both sides of this though, she's clearly mentally ill, and although I am not a POC, I can understand how a lifetime of racism and poor treatment could make a POC feel like he felt that day.

dukemunson Jul 23, 2020 07:19 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

It’s an incomplete picture... all things considered the most logical two options seem to be she’s either completely nuts or the guy triggered her and then started filming. Yeah it’s possible she’s a violent racist... but honestly from watching it I see a person needing help and someone passive aggressively egging her on... and that’s in the edited clip filmed/posted...

Minibeast Jul 23, 2020 05:29 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

CPLOCAL. Astonishing how many people here on this thread don't get that 1) The dude was filming for clicks on the internet (as DBD stated) and 2) The woman has issues. Period. She's not "all there," and obviously, to her, this man poses a threat just by being what he is: male------be he white, brown, black or day-glo orange.

a-1595547964 Jul 23, 2020 04:46 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

CPLocal- she was the one yelling and cussing at him. He was calm the entire time. People of color have to deal with this crap all.the.time. You're making excuses for the woman because you are not a person of color who has ever had to deal with it so it's mind boggling to you. Any other person of color knows exactly what is going on because it happens to them every day.

100572P Jul 23, 2020 03:19 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

ok... I am a 47 year old white woman who has a couple toes touching the pool of menopause. ADDITIONALLY my name is Karen. I spell it differently, but still that would just be semantics at this point. If anyone gets an opinion about all of this "KAREN" stuff, it would be me. It really does not matter what you call someone, whether it is Karen or a-hole, it is all about the context and honestly I really do not care. If the term Karen becomes synonymous with a hysterical middle aged racist white woman who is batship cray cray, it matters to me not. Take my name, use it, I don't care. I am who I am and I actually have a bunch of fun with it all. PLEASE do not pretend menopause doesn't make women emotionally unstable, and for pete's sake do not get bent out of shape if someone verbalizes that FACT. SERIOUSLY WE ALL KNOW MENO MAKES US INSANE for a minute. This lady in the video did not come across as a regular racist Karen to me. She seems like the type of Karen that would be irrational with any kind of interaction beyond her "normal".

a-1595535657 Jul 23, 2020 01:20 PM
Woman Calls 9-1-1 Claiming She's Threatened After She Damaged Vehicle

Why was this exchange immediately cut off when she makes the statement "I don' have my insurance" - then the video abruptly cuts off with nothing else explanatory to follow - maybe she did not have her card with her? Maybe this was a borrowed car. Let's hear the rest of the tape.

Pages