Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown title=
Photo from John Palminteri video
Update by edhat staff
7:15 p.m., October 30, 2019

Santa Barbara City College (SBCC) was placed on lockdown after a wanted suspect fled from police in the area early Wednesday evening.

Roger the Scanner Guy reported Sheriff's Deputies and Santa Barbara Police attempted to serve a search warrant when the suspect fled in the 300 Block of Loma Alta.

Since the suspect had a history of being armed, SBCC sent out a campus-wide alert around 5:45 p.m. stating an armed intruder was on SBCC Main Campus on Cliff Drive. "Take appropriate action, RUN HIDE or FIGHT!" the alert stated.

A K9 unit and air support were called in to search for the suspect described as a light-skinned Hispanic male with a shaved head wearing a white shirt with dark plaid shorts.

The suspect was then believed to be in the 200 Block of La Marina where law enforcement sent out a reverse 911 call to nearby residents.

Roger the Scanner Guy reported the suspect was arrested at 6:29 p.m.

It has not been confirmed whether the suspect was armed or if he was actually on SBCC's campus.

Video by John Palminteri / KEYT

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
5:16 p.m., October 30, 2019

Wanted subject on the bun. SBSO and SBPD are in the 300 Block of Loma Alta. Team Effort in progress.

Roger Oct 31, 2019 06:26 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

In the beginning of the call they said the suspect was last seen near the West End of the walking bridge dropping into some brush, so no not on campus but since they did not know where he was the campus was checked. During the call a police officer also said the suspect has been known to carry a firearm. I posted what I heard, that is what I heard....Also I heard the police say they were making reverse 911 calls into acouple neighborhoods where the suspect was suspected to be.

Bene Oct 31, 2019 03:03 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

From what has been said so far, this "bad guy" was never a threat to the campus at SBCC. He was found in the neighborhood by SBCC and it seems the neighboring residents were more at risk than the students. However, no texts or messages of any kind were sent to the residents. If the guy was so dangerous, seems people should have been warned to lock their doors. THere was the sound of helicopters on the Mesa but no messages.

Bene Oct 31, 2019 05:34 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

Said by the Independent for one. This sentence is out of the Independent story: "It’s not been determined if that suspect ever was, in fact, armed or if he ever, in fact, set foot on campus."

a-1573806322 Oct 31, 2019 04:06 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

Said by whom? The SBPD? Seems to me if cops are on campus, then there’s probably a threat to students and staff. Sorry to hear that those in the neighborhood didn’t get any alerts. Guess I should be thankful I at least got late and inaccurate ones.

Not For Nothin Oct 31, 2019 01:20 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

There were at least 3 police cars at the entrance to West Campus last night, and numerous officers in the grassy area, when I arrived at 5:20 for my 5:30 class. None of them prevented me from driving onto campus, or even acknowledged that students were walking in that area. I’m signed up for SBCC’s emergency texts and hadn’t heard anything about a crisis, so I optimistically thought that maybe their presence was a Halloween precaution and continued to my class. I was almost 20 minutes into class before the first of 4 alerts was sent at 5:47: “Armed intruder SBCC Main Campus Cliff Drive, take appropriate action, RUN, HIDE OR FIGHT!” At 6:05, the same message went out with “Please continue to shelter in place until an all clear is given.” added, followed at 6:30 by a lengthy text saying that campus was on lockdown. At 6:37 the all clear was given. Sooo, SBPD, if the operation you were conducting on Loma Alta, near a grade school and a college, went awry as it seemingly did well before 5:20, what happened between then and the time authorities at SBCC were finally called? You guys were ON CAMPUS looking for a dangerous suspect that may have been armed...at the very least shouldn’t SBCC have been notified the second officers set foot on campus so they could activate an emergency alert in a timely manner? Which one of the dozens of you on scene dropped the ball on that one? Had I known what was happening BEFORE I got in the car and went to school, I would have chosen to stay home and work remotely—it’s a computer accounting class and we have the ability to log onto the SBCC network via a virtual desktop. I know my classmates feel the same way. Instead, thanks to a lack of communication by the SBPD, myself and hundreds of others unwittingly and naively entered an active crisis situation last night that could have easily turned into another needless tragedy. Seriously?! That’s the best you can do?

Ryan93105 Oct 31, 2019 06:04 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

01:56, if it makes you feel any better, the other side of the fence has people waiting on social media with frothing loins ready to be outraged over a white person eating a burrito or taking a yoga class so they can scream out "cultural appropriation". What a time to be alive.

a-1573806322 Oct 31, 2019 01:56 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

How come every single time there is an article about a criminal that has a Hispanic name, the comments get flooded with racists? Are you all just sitting there waiting for a Latino to get busted so you can giggle with delight and type some "witty" remark? Y'all are gross.

Eminence Threat Oct 31, 2019 11:04 AM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

IDEA ... Send all the dogs go to Sniffy Sniff University for "Tracking Certificates" maybe? It could help in the future, and it seems economically viable compared to possible alternative scenarios. Also, canines already have a keen sense of smell, so that's a plus.

Sal15puedes Oct 31, 2019 10:24 AM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

Dropped off my son at sbcc at around 5:30, saw a cop car on campus, no one told us about the active shooter, got a text I never want to get again from my son "active shooter lockdown" he was with a teacher and students in a dark silent store room until the all clear. Why were they allowing people on campus in the middle of an active shooter event? My poor son, in the dark thinking who knows what. Freaked out and angry here - why were we allowed on campus?

a-1573806322 Oct 31, 2019 08:44 AM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

I happened to drive by and there were fire trucks/ambulances /helicopter /several police dogs 20 police cars moving all over (all of our entire police force on duty in one area-not good) all for one skin head that slipped away -Need New Management!!!!

JB86 Oct 30, 2019 06:37 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

Best of intentions, and lesson learned. Apparently SBCC picked the wrong message to send out. PD started getting 50 calls a minute, after the incident was resolved. As Roger said, all is well. Bad guy will get his 'hot and a cot' tonight. Well, maybe only a cold sandwich by the time he gets to jail.

Roger Oct 31, 2019 06:13 AM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

Funny getting all those calls....They sound annoyed when I have called in the past I can just imagine what they sound like getting numerous calls...

Luvaduck Oct 31, 2019 09:40 AM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

If this is and she's part of this expensive prank, jail her too. Then make both of them work off what having all this emergency equipment sent out and personnel cost for their stupidity and publicize it.

JB86 Oct 30, 2019 05:56 PM
Wanted Suspect Arrested After SBCC Lockdown

Yeah, sounds like a good perimeter. CHP Also engaged. I think the K-9s' hunting instinct trumps hunger - they are wanting to work. City College went on lock-down. Sounds like they have suspect corned; called out a dog warning..

Pages