By KC

I wonder how many other people have questioned the last step in completing the Vote by Mail process, signing the envelope?

There IS a line with the words "Residence Address" below the line. Of course also below the line is the printed mailing residence address. So is that simply showing who they mailed the ballot to?

The question regarding sign only, or sign with address is confusing and not clearly stated like the other instructions. The rather thick instruction pamphlet provided mentions completing the process requires SIGNATURE in several places. Only one time, Pg. E-4, does the instruction mention, "...and print your residence address and date."

Considering all the reasons why a ballot can be rejected as invalid, this needs to be more clear. YES, print your address also!

Lucky 777 Oct 29, 2017 05:52 AM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

Here's a wrinkle: I used to change my signature every few years, until I hit on the current one I have liked for a decade. One day it occurred to me I didn't know which one I had used when I filled out my voter registration card .... so all my vote-by-mail ballots might have been subsequently declared invalid. I definitely would not expect them to notify me that it didn't match, they'd trash it. Same with an unsigned ballot envelope, I'm very surprised they let Rex know a signature would be required.

a-1511401305 Oct 28, 2017 03:36 PM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

REX: This isn't the first time you've voted absentee or vote-by-mail, correct? One's signature is always required on the absentee ballot envelope and/or the vote-by-mail ballot envelope.

yin yang Oct 30, 2017 04:09 PM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

Not really, Tagdes. I don't recall writing out my address, and was glad to be alerted. If they were to reject my ballot because I didn't fill out my address, I'd be extremely upset. I also used to deliver and/or mail elder relatives' ballots and I strived to not mess that up. No need for ANYONE to be bitchy about it; we know how to vote -- and make considered decisions. I'm compulsively careful and I read the instructions in the voters' pamphlet, which were simple and clear. I'll admit I'd rather see people inquire about the address provision rather than rave. :-) I've never had a problem signing the envelope; once my ballot gets into the guts of the counting apparatus at County Elections office, they're not going to know my address or see my signature. To all: If you hit refresh after hitting "Send" to make a post on Edhat, your post will show up. It works every time, for me, so far.

tagdes Oct 28, 2017 08:03 PM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

It's as clear as can be, just read the post, you don't even need to see the envelope. You sign the envelope whether or not you fill in the address. It's been this way for years. No signature no vote. Guess Rex has never voted this way before. I've been doing it for years and it's the only way to go.

tagdes Oct 28, 2017 08:03 PM

tagdes Oct 28, 2017 08:05 PM

tagdes Oct 28, 2017 08:08 PM

tagdes Oct 28, 2017 08:46 PM

a-1511401305 Oct 28, 2017 06:44 PM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

It doesn't seem that that is really the question. Read the opening post again. I haven't read the ballot or envelope yet, I will fill it out tomorrow and mail it Monday.

Luvaduck Oct 28, 2017 08:37 AM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

Unfair to illiterates and those with room-temperature I.Q.s. We should have universal education so they could learn to read and think even those of us who aren't the brightest crayons in the box.

a-1511401305 Oct 27, 2017 08:46 PM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

They should've advertised but that costs money. The DEFINITELY should've made instructions clearer. Medical facilities are recommended to adhere to a 7th grade reading level, if not lower. I've signed the envelope of my mail-in ballot since SB started using them. Before actually, I filed for absentee status.

d8vanilla Oct 27, 2017 07:12 PM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

My mailing address is different from my residence, but I don't recall them asking for my residence address in the past. I will agree it was confusing, and I had to read it a few times, just to make sure I was understanding it correctly. At least, they didn't send it back to me for something I messed up !!!! at least not yet !!!!

REX OF SB Oct 27, 2017 04:49 PM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

I found out about this yesterday when the City told me I'd failed to sign the ballot I sent in days ago. I didn't know I was SUPPOSED to sign it. Isn't a ballot supposed to be anonymous? At any rate, I now have to schlep down to City Hall to sign the damn thing. If this vote-by-mail crap is supposed to save time, it's failing miserably. Bring back the voting precincts for those of us who want our vote to count.

a-1511401305 Oct 30, 2017 04:13 PM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

If you didn't sign where signature is required on back of envelope, I'm sorry for you. SB has been mail ballot for years now, hasn't it?

Resident Oct 28, 2017 09:19 AM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

If they didn't require a valid voter's signature on the envelope anyone could vote for you. The ballot itself, inside the envelope, remains unsigned and anonymous.

MikeSBA Oct 28, 2017 07:14 AM
Vote By Mail Signature Confusion?

Signing the envelope is the same as signing the book at a voting station. It merely confirms the act of voting.