Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

Update by the Edhat Staff
10:20 p.m., July 7, 2017

Two separate brush fires broke out in the 7700 block of Foxen Canyon Road in Santa Maria on Friday evening.

At 8:36 p.m. Santa Barbara County fire crews responded to the scene and discovered a 1/2 acre of brush burning on the side of the road. A second fire was discovered just a half-mile down the road as well, said SBC Fire Captain Dave Zaniboni.

The first fire burned approximately 1.2 acres while the second fire burned 0.9 acres.

Both fires are suspicious as a bystander saw a vehicle speeding away from the area right after the fire started, said Zaniboni. Law enforcement is attempting to locate the vehicle.

Both fires are contained and crews will remain on scene.

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
8:42 p.m., July 7, 2017

A vegetation fire in the 7700 block of Foxen Canyon Road. Earlier there was a report of an illegal burn in the same area, someone reported a possibly homeless person starting a fire. Nothing and no one was found, a couple hours later there was a report of a vegetation fire in the same place.

a-1563272366 Jul 08, 2017 02:42 PM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

I got distracted by fake reality, meant to say there's more info on noozhawk. Thanks Roger! & Edhat. Mentioning their articles is not meant as a diss!

a-1563272366 Jul 08, 2017 02:40 PM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

Mountain Man, I was deeply involved in Painted Cave fire, had moved out a few months before. My best friends lost EVERYTHING, as did so many others. I think you live on Painted Cave, but don't know. Want to say how much I appreciate your kind, level-headed and extremely informative posts. Trying again to post; got an error message. Not that mine is important.

a-1563272366 Jul 08, 2017 02:37 PM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

Your Fake Reality, arsonists don't much care where they light stuff unless they have a specific motive, like Painted Cave fire (not wholly proven in court, but y here's evidence) or burning down buildings under construction (LA a few years ago, Oakland very recently - same site twice, AND a HUGE one yesterday.) I'm not asserting that any SLO or SB County fires were arson. We need more investigation and info. Investigation is not yet complete. You seem to be a supporter of interrogation -- I could assume you would support torture, but I won't. I appreciate and support our nation of laws, and our right to free speech.

yourfakereality Jul 08, 2017 02:02 PM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

I'm sorry, but this reads like the script for some crappy soap opera - someone apparently called 911 and said something like "uh, I think maybe some homeless person was trying to light a fire out here in the 7700 block of Foxen canyon." Why is that a problem? Well, for starters, no 911 operator worth their salt is going to accept "possibly" in conjunction with "a homeless person is trying to light a fire." This is California. It's July. It's HOT - if someone "tries" to light a brush fire here, their minimum chance of success is 999.9% - they literally could NOT fail. And how clueless would you have to be to imagine a brush fire? So County Fire "responds" to the same scene twice, finds no evidence of anything the first time, but the second response their are 2 fires? There's absolutely NOTHING in the 7700 block of Foxen Canyon road except a winery - there's no stream nearby, so no reason for any "homeless" person to be out there. If I were an investigator, I'd be sweatin' the truth out of the original 911 caller under some bright lights - if someone actually investigated this "case", that is what they would do.

MountainMan4865 Jul 07, 2017 10:23 PM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

It sounds like they've got both fires under control. One under an acre, and the other under two. Thank goodness! It's hard to tell with all the fires going on, who's talking about what.

MountainMan4865 Jul 07, 2017 09:52 PM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

That's why we started doing mountain patrols in our area during this kind of weather. It's been pretty great, and most folk are super supportive, but at least now we have documentation of who was where and when, when this sort of nonsense happens. It's interesting the number of people that choose to turn around and go back down when we show up. Hmmm....

just4kix Jul 08, 2017 06:58 AM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

I'm very thankful you & neighbors are patrolling. I dog/house sit for people on San Antonio Creek Rd. When the winds are howling, the pup & I both have our hackles up. Nice to know someone is watching. ❤️

Roger Jul 07, 2017 09:14 PM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

Sounds like one is a quarter the other half acre they are working on it called The Foxen incident and I', Roger over and out.

Roger Jul 07, 2017 08:44 PM
Two Additional Brush Fires in Santa Maria

Another vegetation fire reported in the 7100 Block of Foxen Canyon don't know if it's the same fire or another...3 Reporting parties reporting the 7100 Block fire.