The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years

The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years title=
The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years

Owner Karen Kegg (left) and Linda (Photo: Facebook)

After 38 years in business, The Chocolate Gallery is closing their Calle Real Center location.

Owners Karen Kegg and Tim Johnson announced they are not renewing their lease at 5705 Calle Real in Goleta.

"There are no future plans and it has been a fantastic ride but the time is right for a change. Thanks to all for the unwavering support and fun over the years," the owners said in a statement.

The store is taking “stock-up-now” orders to pick up homemade chocolates before closing. The last guaranteed hours in the retail store are on Saturday, June 16, 2018, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm. the day before Father’s Day.

In response to comments about the closure, Kegg announced there has been no rent increase or landlord issues, they're not leaving town or in bad health. "It is simply that we want to straighten out our lives before something forces us to make changes. So far this has been fun instead of stressful. Tim and I have plans to live until age 95 (we are in our 60's) so we've got some time," wrote Kegg.

"And we are not forgetting the 30-year tradition of support at the Goleta Library Summer Reading Program. We won’t be open, but the kids can still earn some chocolate letters," wrote Kegg.

The Chocolate Gallery is open 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and will be closed on Sunday and Memorial Day. Patrons are encouraged to stay in touch on their Facebook page.

Luvaduck May 27, 2018 12:03 PM
The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years

Don't know how the Chocolate Gallery's imminent closing became an "organ recital" so I'll give that a pass and just comment on their closing: They'll be missed, not only for their luscious chocolates and gifts, but also b/c they are such genuinely lovely people to deal with, and locally, part of a disappearing breed, a real mom & pop shop.

a-1547922750 May 27, 2018 09:32 AM
The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years

I'm so sorry to see them go! I remember taking a tour one holiday season and it was so much fun. They were our go-to place for chocolate gifts. Such great service and such great chocolate.

ladylagomorph May 27, 2018 09:04 AM
The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years

My issue is that even on a fat free or low far, "good fat", diet, my body makes cholesterol. Had to have my gallbladder removed because of it. It's a genetic problem. My grandfather died of strokes, and I have no intention of doing so. I can live on a no fat diet...if I have to diet because of a medical problem, and live longer and healthy....OK!

simplynotmyaddress May 26, 2018 09:09 PM
The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years

Can a diabetic person eat dark chocolate? Yes, people with diabetes can eat chocolate. The main thing is to not get carried away. ... Dark chocolate is probably the healthiest pick. It has high cocoa solids and a lower amount of carbs so it won't affect your sugar levels as much as standard milk chocolate.

MountainMan4865 May 26, 2018 05:48 PM
The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years

I'm heart broken. They were a constant since I was 10 years old.... The go to for gifts, and yummyness..... Guess that means no pumpkin pie fudge this year.... *sniff* Best wishes on your years to come! Thank you for being part of my childhood and community for so long.

ladylagomorph May 26, 2018 04:47 PM
The Chocolate Gallery to Close After 38 Years

I really loved their chocolate and friendly service! Unfortunately my Doctor said I can no longer eat chocolate like I'd love to, but I will still miss The Chocolate Gallery!