Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced

Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced title=
Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced

By edhat staff

The City of Santa Barbara announced all street sweeping will be suspended, yet all time limits for parking will still be enforced.

Residential street sweeping and related parking enforcement is cancelled until April 1st.

"This decision was made in order to decrease the burden to families during the COVID-19 related school closures. Commercial Street Sweeping will continue normal operations," according to the City of Santa Barbara website.

The Santa Barbara Police Department confirmed tickets will still be issued for those who violate time-limited parking.

Update by Deputy District Attorney of Santa Barbara County

We have been informed that time limitations and street sweeping are not being enforced.  Disabled person parking, red zones, and blocking driveways are being enforced.

sacjon Mar 17, 2020 06:30 PM
Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced

Gifted - I hope so! The 72 hour rule is ridiculous to begin with, but now, when people are being forced to stay home from work, school, etc... it would be unconscionable to enforce it. The whiny neighbors who report cars can just relax and deal with an eyesore for a bit.

CitizenOfSB Mar 17, 2020 02:17 PM
Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced

I just got a parking ticket this morning (Tuesday) for parking on the street across from my apartment downtown, because it is designated as a "bike lane" from 7 to 9 am on weekdays. On my block and the next block only. A two-block long bike lane that only exists for two hours a day, 5 days a week. And I have never seen a bicyclist using it in the 1.5+ years I have lived here. SBPD parking enforcement is a revenue-gathering farce and they can eff off permanently as far as I'm concerned.

pkww Mar 17, 2020 02:46 PM
Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced

I'm sure you're talking about Garden Street, southbound. I ride that route to get to work (instead of gumming up the parking in your neighborhood) and it is much safer during that time than the rest of the day. At least you have 22 hours a day to park there. Sorry you forgot to move your car today.

Minibeast Mar 17, 2020 01:59 PM
Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced

It gladdens my heart that, for the time being at least, people won't have to worry about being ticketed for street sweeping. It always makes me feel sympathetic and a bit sad when I see a vehicle has been ticketed with that $52 (?) citation. But . . . how will the streets be kept clean now, I wonder? Maybe less people out and about also means less litter? What about leaves? How long is this hiatus on street sweeping? More rain on the way means more junk washing into the storm drains. I know the drains have screens in most places. What if leaves pile up at the screens? So many questions.

Zenyatta19 Mar 17, 2020 01:11 PM
Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced

How does canceling street sweeping decrease the burden to families if the city is still going to ticket? Wouldn’t allowing street parking because so many people will actually be home Help?

a-1590400275 Mar 17, 2020 01:13 PM
Street Sweeping Cancelled, Timed Parking Still Enforced

Ticketing relating to street sweeping is cancelled. You don't have to move your car for street sweep and you will not get a ticket. Parking areas that are 75 or 90 minutes will still be enforced. That's what the article is saying.