Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta title=

(stock photo)

By edhat staff

Local authorities announced they will crackdown on illegal food vendors during Old Spanish Days Fiesta.

The Santa Barbara Police Department released a statement on Tuesday expressing the enforcement is due to public health concerns. The police, Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation Department, and Santa Barbara County Public Health Department are expected to strictly enforce state codes "pertaining to roving food vending during this year’s Fiesta."

On Monday, a video was uploaded to Instagram by showing two women in a white City of Santa Barbara truck with badges and green gloves confiscating what appears to be bags of chips and snacks. The video also depicts a woman watching as her food is hauled into trash bags and thrown into the truck.

The instagram user @migglewiggle7 posted the video that has garnered over 20,000 views with hundreds of comments. Tyler Munoz saw the video started a GoFundMe page to help the woman earn back the money for the cost of the confiscated items.

It be like that and it shouldn’t #shareit @worldstar. https://www.gofundme.com/corn-lady-in-sb

A post shared by Miguel Angel (@migglewiggle7) on

"I've made this GoFundMe in hopes that the people of this town who support and love these vendors can hopefully raise some funds for the lady who lost all of her belongings [...] I've also personally set this up because I know the lady personally and her family as well," wrote Munoz.

The campaign goal was $100 and it's currently reached over $1,000.

The Santa Barbara Police Department also published the California Retail Food Code and California Health and Safety Codes pertaining to food vendors. The City of Santa Barbara also requires permits for anyone operating a food facility and is lawfully able to impound food.

Channelfog Aug 03, 2019 07:45 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

Given the large number of posts, It might be interesting to have an idea of rate of illness. I for one have had horrible multi day restaurant induced, food poisoning such as that I got from "El pollo norteño"( formerly on Milpas). I've eaten from many vendors in the US and Mexico without ever getting sick. Given that the restaurant inspection system is such a tragic joke, I wonder how many folks would reel in disgust upon seeing the kitchen in their favorite restaurants. How many of you got sick from restaurants vs, food vendors?

JoeG Aug 03, 2019 09:22 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

That’s really not the point. No one needs to prove which is safer. It’s a fact that inspected/permitted operations are inherently safer. What matters is existing law. Illegal food vendors are breaking an existing law. If your logic tells you that’s ok, then go to Sacramento and change the law. Until then, enforce it. Pretty simple.

Roger Aug 03, 2019 08:56 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

I actually got sick from a restaurant on De La Vina that was serving rat meat in 1985ish. It was an asian restaurant it was closed down right after that day Christmas 1985. I got sick eating at Carls Junior twice on Milpas no longer eat there can't remember anywhere else off hand. Only ate ventor food once or twice never got sick.

a-1571789371 Aug 02, 2019 08:55 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

People commenting about bake sales and lemonade stands have a lack of knowledge and/or understanding of the permitting laws applicable commercial vendors, vs non-profits and non-commercial vendors. Some cities actually do shut down lemonade stands. IE those that have laws applicable to them. Here, they are not. Before making silly apples to oranges comparisons read up on the laws.

Shasta Guy Aug 02, 2019 11:19 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

Who would want to play Russian roulette with their intestinal tract by getting food from a food cart with no hygienic quality control? Lots of warm sun, no control of flies is a city full of human fecal matter, no hand washing facilities, and plastic gloves worn for extended periods of time after touching many unsanitary surfaces before touching the food you put into your mouth. No thanks.

GeneralTree Aug 02, 2019 06:52 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

I'm not worried about chips and soda. If food carts selling food made by hand had an opportunity to be permitted/inspected and given events or spaces to do business then I wouldn't have a concern about the prepped food.

a-1571789371 Aug 02, 2019 09:20 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

Years ago there were these yellow and black trucks that used to drive around town. They had incredible baked goods, and in particular they sold these huge cream puffs that were light and delicate. These things were impossible to eat without getting cream on your face. Anyway, I do not think these trucks were permitted by the Health Department. Oh, to have just one bite of one of them delicious cream puffs and my life would be complete. "Oh, do I have some cream on my face?"

GeneralTree Aug 01, 2019 04:23 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

So if I can catch meningitis or hook worm from a kids lemonade stand - then I want to see the police shutting down kids lemonade stands and issuing a citation to the parents.? Why are there laws on the books if we don't enforce them? The law should be enforced equally.

EastBeach Aug 02, 2019 04:47 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

I don't think GeneralTree is actually advocating shutting down bake sales and lemonade stands. He's making a fair point that the law isn't being applied equally. And when laws can be be applied unequally, that can open the possibility for nefarious intent.

Roger Aug 02, 2019 11:35 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander we cannot play favorites here no selling of any foods or drinks on the streets. The city is singling out one group of people...If they cannot sell food from a cart then Little Johnny has to shut down his lemonade stand. No bake sales either Your going to have to get Aunt Marthas muffins somewhere else. Still wondering about the rodent problem on State street there must be a food source for there to be so many.

a-1571789371 Aug 01, 2019 05:10 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

You would have to prove that you caught the menengitis or hook worm from the kid's lemonade stand first. With all of the tests and doctors, that would be very expensive. You would also be out the $$ that you spent on the lousy lemonade.

a-1571789371 Aug 01, 2019 02:15 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

We used to have no regulations in alot of sectors. Know what happened? Building fires killing all the seamstresses inside. Accidents, injuries. Discrimination in hiring and firing. Y'all act like these regulations are settting some high standard. No, they are MINIMUM standards for cleanliness and health. MINIMUM. Take these unpermitted scofflaws off the street.

a-1571789371 Aug 03, 2019 10:21 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

The law is enforced locally to non-profits and schools. Cold Spring School contracts with either Elks of Lions to prepared tri-tips & food at school events because Elks and lions are licensed. At SBHigh Athletic Teams serving food are license, and MAD that cart vendors are ignored by police and licensing personnel. There is a double standard. CITE AND FINE all unlicensed vendors. Anyone selling food needs to offer hand washing and sanitation facilities for both seller and buyer. Stop ignoring violators based on neighborhood or skin color. Sick? Taxpayers pay for Cottage ER.

JoeG Aug 01, 2019 04:31 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

State Health and Safety laws, for better or for worse, allow non-profit groups to sell or give non-potentially hazardous foods to their members and guests. So the yoga-pant-wearing moms selling cookies are NOT breaking any laws. Illegal street vendors ARE. The food safety laws are generally created to provide for safe and sanitary commercial food operations. Yes, some politicians have created some loopholes that may not make a lot of sense. All in all however, the main food safety laws benefit everyone. Most mature adults understand this logic.

a-1571789371 Aug 01, 2019 02:17 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

@2:15 - why do you call them "scofflaws?" If they were yoga pants-wearing, Yeti bottle-totting, Range Rover-driving stay at home moms selling unpermitted cookies and cakes at a school/scouts/soccer fundraiser, would you call them "scofflaws" as well?

ZeroHawk Aug 02, 2019 10:37 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

241 this was the most reasonable post on this thread....i fully agree. if you don't want it, are scared, aren't sure...just don't buy it. why all of you busy bodies think you're some official and want to rat out others for making a few $$...that's NOT the american way...

am1234 Aug 01, 2019 02:12 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

Chip of Sb you said that very well . Thank you I was more surprised that a woman who didn’t follow the law and who lost her “chips “ not exactly her belongings is now $1000 richer . So if you break the law in Sb ( no matter how bad / great the law is in YOUR opinion ) whether you agree / disagree with said law - you will have a go fund me account to make it all right . Wow , could you imagine if a white person got busted for not following the law , the comments here would look a-lot like “ serves him right “ even if he was trying to make a living as well . I assure you no go fund me account would be set up for him . The laws are for everyone to obey , no matter what color you are , or what is in your bank account . There are plenty of people trying to put food on the table in this town , who are struggling to make ends meet , but they obey the laws , regardless of whether any of you agree with the laws . They are laws . No go fund me for them I guess . Here’s the deal It doesn’t matter if you eat the food , That isn’t what this is about . It’s about the new law that was created and broken . BUT a -go -fund me account was created to make things right because her chips were confiscated. Not her house , her car and all her belongings , her chips mind you . You didn’t want to take her the city and help her to get a permit that she needed - you would rather reward her for breaking our laws . Unbelievable.

Chip of SB Aug 01, 2019 01:40 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

I think your libertarian approach would be fair enough if it is extended to everyone. Many would argue the private sector is more effective than the government at regulating health and safety issues. Instead of trusting the government, we could turn to the private sector. Before going to a restaurant, check the reviews. I bet a number of private businesses would take up the slack much like the IIHS addresses car safety where the government's regulations are inadequate. Perhaps such an approach could make restaurants cleaner and safer, while simultaneously eliminating the expense of the government paying people to enforce regulations. That could reduce the tax burden on residents, and further stimulate economic growth. I think this is a really exciting concept. Shall we deregulate santa barbara and turn it into a test case for what true capitalism could look like? The way downtown is going these days, what have we got to lose?

Chip of SB Aug 01, 2019 01:21 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

I find this article and the comments really interesting. I agree that we are faced with way too many rules, regulations, taxes, and other restrictions here in Santa Barbara. Much could be done about that. However, I have always believed in the concept of equal protection under the law and I am concerned about granting certain people special privileges and exemptions for the laws the rest of us have to comply with. Why do we regulate the preparation and sale of food in the first place? Why do we regulate the sale of merchandise on our sidewalks and public spaces? Why do restaurants have to comply with health and cleanliness requirements? Why don't we just eliminate all these rules? What would downtown Santa Barbara look like without any laws to regulate selling food or other goods on the streets? We could be a sanctuary for capitalism, where commerce is allowed to take place without any regulation or oversight. I think a strong argument could be made that we need some laws to maintain the character and decorum of our town, but perhaps that ought to be the subject of another debate. The fact is we have a LOT of laws on the books. I it concerns me that many people believe that certain individuals or classes of individuals shouldn't have to obey the law. Who gets a special exemption and who gets to make that decision? Can a middle class white male run an food stand on state street during fiesta without a permit, without collecting taxes, without complying with health regulations? How about an illegal alien from central or south america? Is the criteria for who is exempt from the law based on race? Is it based on gender? On income level? I find the implications troubling, and I'm doubtful it would be constitutional to codify such a special exemption from the rules in law. If Santa Barbara wants to allow unrestricted commerce downtown, so be it. However, if we are going to regulate local business then I think it's only fair that everyone has to play by the same rules.

mattyboy Aug 01, 2019 01:01 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

I politely asked a street vendor to stop blaring his clown horn in front of my residence while my baby was napping. He looked at me dumbfounded. I chalked it up to not being able to understand me, but the next day when he came by he proceeded to stop in front and honk it directly at my residence. If that's how it's going to be, fine & confiscate them all.

ZeroHawk Aug 01, 2019 12:23 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

i don't need someone to carry a license to sell chips and water to keep me safe. my own mind tells me who to buy from and who not to buy from. if you're so weak minded that you need government to make logical decisions for you, how you spend your money and who you buy things from...you have far bigger problems.

Roger Aug 01, 2019 10:28 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

Now that Big Mack bought it up I'm really curious about the rats and mice downtown they have been there for years so I don't think they can be blamed so much on the homeless or food vendors. I remember going to Wells Fargo downtown where the Amazon building is now I'd be getting money out of the ready teller little boogers be running past me seen them in a restaurant downtown years ago now the rodent problem is much bigger downtown I wonder where they are all coming from I never saw a rat in a food vendor cart jus sayin...Interesting Double Standards Do as we say not as we do...

SocialistPreusD... Aug 01, 2019 04:30 PM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

Oh it must be racist person day. Why don’t you start to put the color of people’s skin last. Should we just allow people to do whatever they want because “there is plenty more to worry about”? We might as well just ignore the homeless too, and if people chose to do meth... We might as well make it legal because they choose to do that, right? You lack the logic my friend. It is more then just the possibility of people getting sick... A lot of the times, these vendors don’t have permits (in this case none of them do) and have 0 regulation. Most of the time they don’t pay taxes on this “business” and if they have gov. assistance, I highly doubt they will put this income on there paperwork. Therefore cheating the system and getting more help then they actually need.

GeneralTree Aug 01, 2019 10:39 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

It must be either Angry White Guy Day, Bootlicker Day, it False Patriotism Day. Lots of anger over such a minor issue. I think there is a lot of resentment going on that others are celebrating the culture of brown people. Everyone should get out and enjoy Fiesta!

a-1571789371 Aug 01, 2019 10:24 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

10:19 - just stop. Prescription medication and mangoes on a stick are pretty distant on the list of stuff that is important to worry about. Don't worry, you'll be just fine if someone else eats a bag of unpermitted chips. I know it might be frightening to you to have to watch, but you're (hopefully) an adult and can manage the trauma of witnessing unlicensed corn consumption.

a-1571789371 Aug 01, 2019 10:19 AM
Santa Barbara Cracks Down on Illegal Food Vendors During Fiesta

Yes, we should also stop worrying about whether the plumber connects the sewer properly or the gas line leaks or the medicines we take from someone on the street corner are going to kill us. Just one big free for all libertarian Darwinian zoo and let the "strong" survive.

Pages