Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail title=
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

By an edhat reader

What an awesome day to take a hike on Rattlesnake trail and see painted rocks on the trail! It is s gem to hike but to see pretty painted rocks is a treat. I wonder who is doing this? And is it okay to take a rock?

ladylagomorph May 15, 2018 02:31 PM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

What about *geo-tracking*, where people leave small treasures, and post their geographic location to be picked up by other interested parties with smartphone apps to find them? Then they add to the treasure, or take the treasure and leave something else in it's place, adding to the geo-app? How about Painted Cave? The Chumash painted rocks. So many things altered? Like putting streets and streetlights up all over? It's a tiny rock. Probably done by a family with children. Meant to make your day happy.

Factotum May 15, 2018 03:26 PM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

Environmentalist tell us we must leave everything in nature alone, as we found it, pristine and untouched. Never exploited for any greater public utility. Particularly for the mere amusement of humans.

Flicka May 15, 2018 09:44 AM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

Washable paint? These, as stated, are simply painted at home and left like Easter eggs to bring a smile, and taken home by a hiker if they want. No kind of permanent damage to anything or anyone. If the trails are to stay really "natural" lets keep people, dogs, horses, and bikes away as they aren't actually found in nature.

Eggs Ackley May 15, 2018 01:31 PM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

"People aren't actually found in nature". Wow, x2. No wonder the planet is such a mess. Do tell: what is the natural habitat of Homo sapiens(people)?

sbpajuco108 May 14, 2018 07:28 PM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

I want to correct the title no one has painted any rocks on Rattlesnake trail these are rocks that someone had painted at home and put in unique places on the trail to find. I found one on Mothets day Inwould call them rock angels because we all know that hiking in our SB mountains is alittle like heaven so I am happy I found one. I found one on Saddlerock trail prior to mudslide too. I hope to see more of these beautiful painted rocks on the trails it’s fun to find them.

420722 May 14, 2018 04:51 PM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

There is a Sb rocks Facebook group. I have found several of their rocks around town. They are usually fine detailed and have writing on the back that says take or leave for someone else and to please post a picture on Facebook so the owner knows his/her work has been found. I like them and it’s fun finding these little gems, but will say that I would not like to see them everywhere. Here and there is cool though.

oceandrew May 14, 2018 04:23 PM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

That's a nice bit of whimsy and a far cry from the vandalism I was anticipating from reading the title of the thread.

Nature Boy May 14, 2018 03:42 PM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

These are "temporary" too -- rocks found elsewhere, painted at home, and brought to the trail as a way to brighten someone's day. And YES -- feel free to take one home as a souvenir!!

allforone May 14, 2018 01:03 PM
Painted Rocks on Rattlesnake Trail

I know that in Lompoc they have a group called "Lompoc Rocks" people paint and hide rocks for people to find and re-hide. I really doubt people actually take paints up to Rattlesnake to paint rocks, more than likely then bring them with them to hide for others to find and maybe just maybe bring a smile to someone's face.